Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Team Chess

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Team Chess
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Since the great success of the other thread i decided to open a new one, specifically for playing chess.

I hope we will manage to do a team play this time.
The game will start when enough people join; just post the team you're on and i'll edit.

Every member of the team must post, no member can move twice in a row (there can be exceptions if both team members agree)

So,

White Team:
-Evert
-Dennis Busch
-X-G

Black Team:
-FMC
-superstar4410
-Kirr

Note:there is no team size limit.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I'll be white then, but I can't guarentee I'll post often...
Actually, I should be going and play some real-life chess now.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

How about someone take RP's chat code and turn it into a networked chess program? Should be simple enough to handle and then you won't have to play ASCII chess over A.cc.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Add me to the team black

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Steve said:

How about someone take RP's chat code and turn it into a networked chess program? Should be simple enough to handle and then you won't have to play ASCII chess over A.cc.

Who talked of ASCII code?
This is the board on which you play:

r n b q k b n r
p p p p p p p p
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
P P P P P P P P
R N B Q K B N R

, that using my script (see sig) becomes this:
{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/79a688c228e40c78e836d3892b50ad2d.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/79a688c228e40c78e836d3892b50ad2d"}show.php

The idea is to play on a forum in order to make epic games that last months!(ookay, i'm exaggerating here)
A chat program is too fast for this type of thing :)

Added Evert and superstar4410.

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

khristina yer
Member #5,795
May 2005

http://www.chess.net
get the java version.
if they still have it.:-*

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I join white.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

I'll join black to balance Evert. :)

Quote:

no member can move twice in a row (there can be exceptions if both team members agree)

Yeah, this is very good addition. So if you are starting some risky attack make sure your teammates can understand your plan.

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

A recommendation for your script: Wouldn't it be easier to record all the chess movements and work from there? It would make much tidier input for the script; you could send it movements in, say, algebraic notation instead of the entire board state.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Yes Kirr, turn to the dark side.

X-G: but there is the risk that someone might play with the script and give it input while we play, thus changing the board. I could change notation to something like show?board=X&move=MOVE, so that the move changed only board X, but i think it would be more confusing.

On the other hand i could just link with show?board=X (where X would remain a constant for all of our game)but this way there would be no way to see the old moves.

Would do you people say?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I was thinking more like the board taking the entire game in algebraic form. You'd pass the entire game to the script and it'd work out the moves. So you'd do, for instance: board.php?e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bc5 a6 or similar. The next player would simply tack his move onto the existing list.

In fact, since I'm bored, I started working on just such a script.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

FMC said:

What do you people say?

I agree on the risks and problems you pointed out.
The script is good and sufficient as it is.:)
You could add some quickstart manual under the scripts interface page,
showing the standard ASCII board with a legend (r=black rook, n=black knight, Q=white queen, etc...).

Starting the game... (more players can still join!)
--

r n b q k b n r
p p p p p p p p
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . P . . .
. . . . . . . .
P P P P . P P P
R N B Q K B N R

--
(black to move)
{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/b\/cbbe614acafa8d7d8c14c4cd93352164.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/b\/cbbe614acafa8d7d8c14c4cd93352164"}show.php

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I will not move first :P
Kirr, Superstar4410 feel free to move.

Dennis said:

You could add some quickstart manual under the scripts interface page,

Done :)

X-G said:

In fact, since I'm bored,

Why don't you join the game?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Why don't you join the game?

Because it's been years since I played chess regularly.

At any rate, I've made a chess widget of my own! It's at http://monkeyblah.com/chess.php and takes information in algebraic notation, each step separated by a comma. It should support most constructs (including disambuating captures and castling), but note that marking checks with + doesn't work.

The current game with my script looks like this:

http://monkeyblah.com/chess.php?e4
(http://monkeyblah.com/chess.php?e4)

A future move might be, for instance, img http://monkeyblah.com/chess.php?e4,e5 or something similar.

A longer example just to get a feel for it:

http://monkeyblah.com/chess.php?e4,e5,Nf3,f6,Nxe5,fxe5,Qh5
(http://monkeyblah.com/chess.php?e4,e5,Nf3,f6,Nxe5,fxe5,Qh5)

--

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Quote:

takes information in algebraic notation, each step separated by a comma

Don't make games too long then, as the query string has a maximum length, usually 255 bytes.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

--- Moved the Knight----

--
r n b q k b . r
p p p p p p p p
. . . . . n . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . P . . .
. . . . . . . .
P P P P . P P P
R N B Q K B N R
--

(white to move)

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7e8adc861691c8ec7fb4eb2b05bbc800.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7e8adc861691c8ec7fb4eb2b05bbc800"}show.php
superstar4410, if you want to create a diagram of the board you can paste the matrix you made into this script(that you can also find in my sig) ;)

X-G said:

Because it's been years since I played chess regularly.

And if i said i've played more than 30 games in my whole life i'd be telling a lie :P (that's why i put all my faith in Kirr and superstar4410)

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Thanks for the info, I'll remember that next time

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

2... e5

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef3889bfd4c7e4800ac023722c5a329e.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef3889bfd4c7e4800ac023722c5a329e"}show.php
(black to move)

By the way, I hate Aljechin's Defence.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

uhm...
{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/b\/2b36f516f4572727ee5cb829980b9ef1.gif","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/b\/2b36f516f4572727ee5cb829980b9ef1"}show.php

3..Nd5
(White to move.)

r n b q k b . r
p p p p p p p p
. . . . . . . .
. . . n P . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
P P P P . P P P
R N B Q K B N R

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I sporadically join the white team (and insist to use my own script!).

3. Bc4

http://monkeyblah.com/chess.php?e4,Nf6,e5,Nd5,Bc4
http://monkeyblah.com/chess.php?e4,Nf6,e5,Nd5,Bc4

Oh yeah, one more thing. Because of His Messianitic Cloister, I can't make more than five moves. Sucks to be me, eh?

--

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

Don't make games too long then, as the query string has a maximum length, usually 255 bytes.

Most servers have the maximum GET set to about 2k. So the issue will probably be at the browser.
IE locks it at 256 I think. None of us should be using IE anyway, so that won't be a problem.
Firefox can take something much longer I believe.

Or ML's script might lock it down, shrugs.

If it becomes a problem I suggest adding a bit of MySQL database to the mix. Add a script for adding a "game", which accepts the series of moves, assigns an unique id, adds it to the database, and then returns the id. Then modify the original script to accept an id as opposed to a serious of moves (or both).
Or use one of those url shrinkers. trimurl or whatever it was.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Is it allowed to openly criticize moves?

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Yes, do so ;)

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

The black king and queen should swap places.

Go to: