Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Team Chess

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Team Chess
Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Dennis, what you will do if we also will not pick your queen first? Also, do you have a plan after 29.Qd1 Rb3 ?

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Great, i didn't see that. Now i hate it even more that we haven't moved Qa2 previously. That rules out Qd1 now.
...ugh...

myself said:

And this time i will for sure not give in to anything else than Qd1. Hell would have to freeze over to make me do anything else.

What's that insane coldness coming from below? Hell must have just frozen over.;D:-/>:(

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Hell, this thread is freezing too (bump!)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Yes, the atmosphere turned a little cold in here.
Hey teammates, let's just accept that our position is bad and that we can't do anything now or anytime in the future to turn the rudder around anymore. Let's just move anything (Qd4 even, if we can't think of anything else) to get the game going on.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Fine with me.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

What good does that do? f5 is at least useful in that it helps in activating the bishop.
My suggestion would be either Ra3 or Be3.

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

It's because you're pushing the pawns, remember? ;)

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

It threatens their h pawn and it might clear the way for our bishop and queen to march in on that side, depending on blacks reaction of course. It might also prevent them from moving their rooks, because if we get the queen over there, they can't leave row 7 and 8 undefended.

I vote for g5. Good eye Dustin.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I vote against. It's completely pointless since white has no chance of getting a kingside attack anyway, and it only serves to further weaken white's position. Reckless pawn pushing is never a good strategy, and it's for a large part the reason the position is as bad as it is. Or wuld you seriously claim that White's position would be equally bad with pawns on g2 and f3 rather than g4 and f4?

Anyway, what do I care? I don't really have the time to debate this at length anyway.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

I vote for g5. :D

Evert, relax already, what you got to lose at this point anyway?

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I am relaxed. I just don't have the time to post lengthy explanations and detailed variations.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Awesome, so we agree on g5 then.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I think so, we have two votes for g5 and just one vote against it.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

White team, you already agreed on a move, what't the problem now? Or is it because we are trying to break a record for the longest game ever? :)

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Right.
29. g5

. r . . . . k .*
p . r . . p p .
P . p . p . . p
. . P p P . P .
. . q . b P . .
. . P . . . . .
. . . Q . B . P
R . R . . . K .

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f3c8d7ec2bbc29fc4bb6fee682d7a7b5.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f3c8d7ec2bbc29fc4bb6fee682d7a7b5"}show.php

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

- hxc5
fxc5 Nf5

Now if they decide to push pawns even further:
g6 Nh3
gxf7+ Rxf7
- Dg4+
leading to a checkmate (Kh1 Dg2X)

I wonder how they can prevent the Nh3...

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

My favorites would be either hxg5 or Kh7. After 29...hxg5 30.fxg5 g6 their pawn structure will be even worse than now, with one more valnerable pawn at e5. After 29...Kh7 30.gxh6 gxh6 we will have an open vertical for our rook to attack their king. So I'm OK with either of the two moves. :) I'll tell if I'll have any better idea (if it will be still our side to move).

--

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Whose side are you on?

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Black, of course. Since the beginning of the game. 8-)

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I'm ok with Kh7, while i wouldn't like to exchange paws with hxg5, as that would broaden white's queen power. On a sidenote what would happen if we went h6-h5?

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

After some more thinking I prefer hxg5.. :) The reason: after 29...Kh7 30.gxh6 gxh6 31.Be3 they will be able to attack our pawn at h6 by moving f4-f5. I'm not sure they can gain advantage by that, but anyway placing an isolated pawn to the dark square (h6) can be risky. Especially so near to our king..

If instead we capture: 29...hxg5 30.fxg5 g6 - the position will become totally beautiful - three white pawns at c5, e5, and g5 make white's bishop totally useless, except for protecting those pawns. Our pawns are also on the same-colored squared with our bishop, but our bishop is in front of the pawns, which means our bishop is protected by pawns, while it still has freedom to do something useful.

If later we move our king to g7, we will be able to transfer one of our rooks to h8 and invade through the h vertical. White will have to move h2-h4 to prevent it. Another more simple idea is to double rooks on b-vertical, and move one of the rooks to b2. So, anyway, I vote for hxg5 now.. :)

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

29...Kh7 30.gxh6 gxh6 31.Be3

I don't know about that... 31. ... Rg8+!! looks pretty painful to me... (costs a queen after 32. Kf2 Rg2+). White is the last person who wants to open files on the kingside. If you ask me, that is... my teammates seem to think it's a great idea. When we do this again, can I at least have veto power over any reckless ill-considered pawn advances? None of the advances to f4, g4 (and then g5) and a6 were good moves.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

It seems reasonable.

29. ... , hxg5

. r . . . . k .
p . r . . p p .
P . p . p . . .
. . P p P . p .
. . q . b P . .
. . P . . . . .
. . . Q . B . P
R . R . . . K .*

{"name":"show.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/6881d549f4b3cbd3f04a40cc6a25edf9.gif","w":400,"h":430,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/6881d549f4b3cbd3f04a40cc6a25edf9"}show.php

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I vote for recapturing that pawn.

Go to: