Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What are you working on right now?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
What are you working on right now?
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Some of the fine folks in the IRC channel were complaining talking about how stale the content has been around here lately, so I figured I'd open a new thread so we could have something new to talk about. :D

So what are you working on right now? Do you have any projects? I think there was a thread like this a few months ago, but I don't remember. Anyway, It doesn't even have to be programming related. Lay it on me!

I'll go first:
I'm writing a 2D game-making library in JavaScript. It's called Momo and it's on GitHub. I've already used it to make a couple of games (check them out here). I've also used it to port some of my C++ games to the Web. It's still a work in progress, but it's getting there.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm currently working on two things:

1 - Windows 10 being a gigantic pile of a dog shit. A fresh install of Windows 10 is using all my RAM (memory leak) and "all I have to do" is install an entire SDK and start probing around kernel drivers to find out which one is destroying my system.

And Microsoft fanboys are basically falling over-themselves on Stack Overflow somehow frame it as "my" fault how a fresh install runs out of RAM, or somehow I don't know what the !@$@! a page file is.

2 - A simple Python script for Linux that basically detects when a process is using too much CPU, and sets the CPU priority AND IO priority to much lower. So basically, if any process attempts to "freeze" the system, it stops it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

What I'm always working on. Eagle, of course. Currently cleaning up the object registry and debugging some threading issues with multiple windows.

At work, I'm learning Perl, PHP, C#, JavaScript, Angular, Jasmine, Protractor and more. But mostly I push buttons on a website and then I push other buttons on a different website.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I suppose you could say I'm working on getting my motorcycle comfortable. Though technically I haven't started yet, aside from ordering things. I bought an Airhawk seat cushion and some "grip puppies" foam grip covers. I also bought a new pair of gauntlet style gloves to replace my worn "shorty" gloves. Alas, I haven't had the chance to try this in the past couple of days that I've received the orders. And it looks like rain for at least the first half of the week. :(

I'm also addressing a little fuck up with my truck. When I bought the truck it came with vinyl floors, which I just assumed was normal and sufficient. I didn't realize that you're supposed to have floor mats on top of them (I guess?) so for the past 3 years I've been driving around without floor mats. It seems snow and water from footwear has been leaking beneath the vinyl and causing the floor to rust. Either that, or water is leaking in and getting beneath it when it rains/snows, etc. In any case, there's a fair amount of surface rust. Since I finally realized that I don't have floor mats I've invested in some decent looking ones, and before I install them I plan to vacuum the floors and lift up the vinyl and try to sand and vacuum the rust up, and maybe lay some kind of oil-based product to help prevent further rust. Aside from purchasing the floor mats that hasn't really begun yet either.

Otherwise, I guess the only other thing I'm working on besides work is Counter-Strike. :) And I use the term "work" loosely to mean I'm conscious of improving my performance while also having fun.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

1 - Windows 10 being a gigantic pile of a dog shit .

I'm pretty sure Microsoft beat you to that. Two projects I have in mind, writing my own camera driver and a battleship game. I have very little focus so neither has any progress to report. I think I'll be working on making dinner soon.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Due to some random issues with the nodes on a Windows Failover Cluster at work, I been reinstalling Windows Server on the machines. Was almost done with the second node when I left work Friday, and basically needed to quickly remove another one as it started to have major issues (it will be number 3, I think number 4 so far has been the most stable, but a reinstall wouldn't hurt)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm doing a lot:

• Work stuff, but apart from that here are some projects I've been working on on my own:

• Learning ElasticSearch. I recently added ES backends to allegroplanet.com and oatescodes.com so I can experiment with them.

• Bought 2 books. One book called "Learning React", and another, "Effective Modern C++". I was super stoked on the latter because I've been looking for it for a while now. I've have been meaning to get it, but have been too lazy to order online. I happened by it when I walked into a bookstore today and they had 3 copies. :) For the React book, I've already covered the first 5 chapters.

• Developing steadily on two big projects, FullScore and AllegroFlare. FullScore's repo passed 1,000 commits recently, which is insane considering AllegroFlare has undergone much more development over the years. I think it is emblematic in the way that I am now developing software, which is with more compartmentalized commits. FullScore is essentially a music composition program, https://github.com/MarkOates/fullscore. AllegroFlare is my application framework https://github.com/MarkOates/allegro_flare that drives 95% of all the C++ programs I write these days. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Developing a tactical VR shooter game in Unity. Using different weapons and items, you must defeat ever increasing number of enemy AI that will work together in order to destroy you. The levels will be predesigned but selected randomly. I might try going for completely procedural generation after release. The game will be challenging, a few bullets will kill you. Locomotion is key, this will be no stand-still shoot at the waves of enemies coming - there are too many of those games already. I hope to release it on Steam before the end of the year.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Work-wise, I have been slacking. Few people seem to care, as I rarely venture outside. (Out of sight, out of mind, right?)

Reality-wise, I have been working on a mail server and TTY blips and bloops. This is even more fun than it sounds.

FullScore is essentially a music composition program, https://github.com/MarkOates/fullscore.

FullScore has piqued my interest. Are there any screenshots available? (I see a broken image link in the GitHub README.md; perhaps it was a screenshot at one point?)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

• Work (launching a large website update tonight!)

• Studying Japanese, going to try and take the JLPT for N5 in December (hoping to go to Japan next year)

• Building a mobile game (hoping to start some alpha testing in the next month or two)

• Family (son and I are playing through Final Fantasy 1)

• Blogging (see sig)

• Gaming (playing Endless Legend again, and trying to stay competitive in Clash Royale)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

A simple Python script for Linux that basically detects when a process is using too much CPU, and sets the CPU priority AND IO priority to much lower. So basically, if any process attempts to "freeze" the system, it stops it.

Wow, how convenient! What if it detects itself as using too much CPU? :P

At work, I'm learning Perl, PHP, C#, JavaScript, Angular, Jasmine, Protractor and more. But mostly I push buttons on a website and then I push other buttons on a different website.

That's a lot to learn all at the same time. What kind of work do you do exactly?

bamccaig said:

I suppose you could say I'm working on getting my motorcycle comfortable.

I'm also addressing a little fuck up with my truck.

Otherwise, I guess the only other thing I'm working on besides work is Counter-Strike.

Best of luck in achieving maximum comfort while you drive. No matter the comfort, be sure to drive safely. ;) If anyone asks, just tell them that rust is all the rage these days. :P Oh, and have fun killing people in Counter-Strike! :D

Due to some random issues with the nodes on a Windows Failover Cluster at work, I been reinstalling Windows Server on the machines.

Is there an intern you can blame for the random issues? :P

Learning ElasticSearch. I recently added ES backends to allegroplanet.com and oatescodes.com so I can experiment with them.

Developing steadily on two big projects, FullScore and AllegroFlare.

What is Allegro Planet exactly? The site itself doesn't tell me much. AllegroFlare sounds pretty cool. It even sports some GUI stuff. :o Edgar had better look out. :P

Arvidsson said:

Developing a tactical VR shooter game in Unity.

I saw some of the GIFs you posted about it on Twitter--pretty cool! Best of luck getting it on Steam!

Onewing said:

Studying Japanese, going to try and take the JLPT for N5 in December (hoping to go to Japan next year)

日本のどこに行くの?JLPTに頑張ってね!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Wow, how convenient! What if it detects itself as using too much CPU? :P

It'll throttle itself!! :D

I got sick of running random command line programs here-and-there, or installing updates, freezing my computer while they ran. It made no sense. Why should dpkg run at normal or high priority? Additionally, it fires off so many new processes that you can't manually freeze them. You need a script that keeps up with them as they spawn.

Currently, I'm just polling every 5 seconds or so (and you can set the rate, as well as what CPU usage to throttle, and what higher cpu usage to set heavier throttling by changing the process to an "idle" scheduling category). There may be a way to get an event fired off every time a new process is created. But currently running a simple script every 5 seconds or so is low process utilization (even more when I make the script stay running instead of starting it with watch, like a command script). It might go even faster by porting it to bash (no python overhead) but bash is actually pretty slow so I'd have to do some profiling to see. Additionally, I hate bash for anything but the simplest stuff. It's a pretty insane language. (*NIX commands are great. But the actual bash code, ugh.)

[edit]

Hmm, this might work:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~cking/forkstat/

[edit] Maybe not, it needs root privileges, that's not ideal.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

What is Allegro Planet exactly? The site itself doesn't tell me much. AllegroFlare sounds pretty cool. It even sports some GUI stuff. :o Edgar had better look out. :P

Well, thank you very much! :D

I've been working on AllegroFlare for a long time now. It's still finding its design cohesion, has a lot of "wip" pieces, a lot of experimental pieces, a bunch of refactoring, needs docs, etc. I'm currently working on 0.8.9wip, which requires a major audit. Then I have a milestone to alpha release at 0.9.

Allegro Planet is something I'm really excited about. :)

The website doesn't really have anything substantial on it yet, but a decent amount of work has gone into it.

In theory, Allegro Planet would be a place where we could experiment with different kinds of "Allegro as a service" features. A lot of game development platforms (most?) have some kind of web-based component. User accounts, multiplayer services, online leaderboards, cross-platform build systems, payment channels, distribution systems (web stores), etc.

Allegro doesn't really have a place to provide or experiment with these kinds of game design things. It first occurred to me when I was working on AllegroFlare and wanted to make a networking component. I realized that at some scale, this component would need a dedicated server. Sometime around that time, I went to a game development meetup, and saw some guys were using a development platform that had a free multiplayer service. It was a rudimentary tick-tac-toe game, but the developers didn't need to set up servers, only needed to use the service. :)

An end goal for me is a game like Nintendo Land, made in Allegro that is:

• 3D

• built on the cloud

• cross-platform

• has elaborate shaders

• real-time shadow mapping

• multiplayer (via service on Allegro Planet)

• user accounts (from Allegro Planet)

Stuff like that is the potential. :)

What we have planned for v1 of Allegro Planet is a depot, similar to the depot here on allegro.cc :) It's coming along, slowly, but I'm playing the long game on this one, similar to AllegroFlare.

FullScore has piqued my interest. Are there any screenshots available? (I see a broken image link in the GitHub README.md; perhaps it was a screenshot at one point?)

FullScore's really cool, too. The screenshot should show? I'm wondering why it doesn't. OK, now it's not showing for me, that's weird ??? There's usually screenshots in some of the pull requests. Here are some:

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Does FullScore allow you to play music and record it through a keyboard? That's what I really want, to be able to see what I'm playing recorded as notes live.

As for AllegroFlare being competition for Eagle, sure but whatever, that's good. Gives me a reason to make more commits.

I have steady work now, and steady income so I'm gonna hire on a few people part time to work on Eagle. I was hoping to have a release done by now but this windowing destruction hang has really slowed things down. I get a commit or two done during the week and then I do a good portion of the work on the weekend.

So in reality I'll try to have a release of Eagle done by November or so. It already abstracts pretty much all of allegro into a driver and makes it super simple to create demo programs with. It's great for getting going quickly. Hope to have it ready in time for ChristmasHack or whatever its gonna be called this year. Sad I didn't finish KrampusHack last year, been looking for a chance to redeem myself. ;) xD

8-)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Mark Oates: If you're gonna do all that work, I salute you sir.

Does FullScore allow you to play music and record it through a keyboard?

I do that with FL Studio. It's really worth the money--although their semi-recent UI changes have completely borked my productivity to like 10%.

I'm currently working on something sinister... no ... evil ... no... perfectly sane.

-----sig:

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Does FullScore allow you to play music and record it through a keyboard? That's what I really want, to be able to see what I'm playing recorded as notes live.

It doesn't do that. That's probably not a feature that would be added anytime soon to be honest. It would be cool if I could add some kind of plugin capability, and a feature like that could be added externally.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Not a lot. My ISP decided to discontinue the webpage service for people so my website with my game suddenly vanished. Not sure if I want to bother putting it elsewhere.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

How do you input notes? With the mouse? Can you make selections, copy, and paste, transpose, insert, delete, replace, etc...?

Somewhat. Older versions had mouse support, but the current version does not. It's better to think of FullScore as being more VIM-like than MS-Word-like. That is, there are a bunch of keyboard commands, most of which are one key stroke. Rather than "copying", you "yank". And rather than "pasting", you might paste-as-new, or you might paste-by-reference, or paste-as-instance, stuff like that [1]. Ideally, you would never need a mouse.

One of the objectives of FullScore is to optimize for speed of input, so getting the keyboard input right will be one of the first priorities.

A second priority is to get the theory right, and find a way to articulate and express it as fluently as possible through the interface. The theory used in FullScore is quite a bit different from traditional music theory. That is, traditional theory relies on a 5-line staff where everything is assumed to be diatonic (or modally relative). As a composer, you are somewhat limited and if you want to think outside of that context. It requires quite a bit of mental transformations and there are no staves to accommodate that. In Finale for example, there's a somewhat hacky way to get 5-line staves to represent different scales via a feature called "non-standard key signature", but the rest of the program explodes and the remaining features get confused.

In FullScore, however, non-standard scales are a first class citizen. FullScore allows the 5-line staves (or 3-line or 2-line, or whatever makes the most sense) to be contextually redefined. Contexts aren't only just limited to staves, either. They might be layered over different instrument groups through a section of a piece, for example.

There's so much more.

___

[1] There are a handfull of transformations so far, including transpose, double_duration, half_duration, split_note, retrograde, invert, add_dot, remove_dot, etc..

--

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

FullScore looks purdy.

FullScore allows the 5-line staves (or 3-line or 2-line, or whatever makes the most sense) to be contextually redefined. Contexts aren't only just limited to staves, either.

I never thought about solving the problem through notation... Actually, I sort of quit notation cold turkey a number of years ago. I was a decent sight-reader, but it wasn't for me. Input, however, I have given a great deal of consideration. I look forward to seeing what kind of vim-like interface you come up with. Let me know if you want useless test banter. ;)

Good luck with all your projects. Allegro Planet sounds even greater in scale than FullScore. I hope decentralization is given due consideration, as it's revealed itself of late to be a necessary pillar for most any community.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Input, however, I have given a great deal of consideration.

Oh? Have you come to any compelling conclusions?

Quote:

Let me know if you want useless test banter. ;)

Will do ;D

--

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Have you come to any compelling conclusions?

The old MOD trackers got it wrong when they tried to emulate piano keys instead of guitar frets.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

The old MOD trackers were emulating... MIDI.

I'm honestly not sure how you could emulate a guitar (and yes, I've tried plenty of VSTs). The more I play guitar the less I think a computer could work. Even if you get all the "variables", specifying those mass array of variables and their changes is a huge data entry burden, and, manually specifying them forces you to be conscious of every minute variable instead of subconsciously "playing from the heart" so you become much more focused on the details instead of the emotion of the piece itself.

[edit]

Mark Oates: Wow, you've been quite the busy beaver!

-----sig:

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Absolutely nothing, well nothing that will see the light of day beyond my laptop monitor.

I do that with FL Studio. It's really worth the money

Yep, I bought it a few months back just for something to dabble with [yes, I realize I just admitted to blowing $100 for something to play with].

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

You can download FL Studio to play around with, just can't save your work, so I have been meaning to give it a try as it looks interesting. Seem some good Youtube videos of people using it and it looks very intuitive.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

1   2   3 

Go to: