Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Questions on how to use this forum...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Questions on how to use this forum...
wqking
Member #16,641
February 2017

Q1, how can I quote other's message when replying?
Q2, how can I see the history threads? Each forum only shows recent threads, and even if I click "Showing recent threads ..." on the left top, it still doesn't work...

Thanks

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A1: there is no GUI for quoting and formatting. You must code your reply using either XML or markdown syntax. There is a link in my signature to a thread where the site owner announced the new formatting syntax (and a second link for code). Check those out. The quoting is basically done by copy/paste manually and then either surrounding with <quote></quote> or prefixing with "> " (e.g., email style).

A2: Use the search feature to find older threads relevant to what you want. A.cc has its own feature, or allows you to use Google. In my experience, Google works best, but try both. If neither works you can try a real Google search with the term "site:allegro.cc".

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Welcome!

wqking said:

Q1, how can I quote other's message when replying?

Quoting on these forums is easier than any forum I've ever been to:

> Q1, how can I quote other's message when replying?

wqking
Member #16,641
February 2017

I see, thanks

A1: there is no GUI for quoting and formatting.

Quoting on these forums is easier than any forum I've ever been to:

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've never known about the e-mail style... after being here since 2002. :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

bamccaig said:

GUI

Did someone say GUI :o

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Gooey.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Gooey... Mmmm...

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Gooey

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

G.U.I.

Also, S.N.E.S.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Also, S.N.E.S.

Surprisingly, I pronounce "G.U.I" phonetically as "gooey", but "S.N.E.S" as it is written in acronym form. I just noticed that. Weird...

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Surprisingly, I pronounce "G.U.I" phonetically as "gooey", but "S.N.E.S" as it is written in acronym form. I just noticed that. Weird...

Same...

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Snes isn't a word. It's not easy or natural to pronounce for an English speaker.

GIF? Sounded out.

JPEG? Notice you say J, PEG.

PEG is a word, JPEG is meaningless and difficult to sound out.

People pronounce stuff the easiest way. If you can slur it in speech and still understand, that's a pretty good guideline for how it'll be pronounced.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's absolutely easy to pronounce "sness". A lot easier than "es en ee es". That's why people do it.

GIF is one of those "words" that people argue about. I had one colleague that insisted on saying "jit" just to oppose the "ghiph" people (myself included). "GIF" is also not a natural word. It's an acronym.

Notice that again we say "j-peg" instead of "jay pee ee gee". The easiest way is the fewest syllables. :P "JPEG" is also not a natural word.

"Sness" it is.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I used to say G.U.I. and feel strongly about it, but unfortunately common usage around me is to say gooey, and I seem to have been affected.

I say Snez. Also, Gif is a no-brainer; if you say it as Jiff, people will wonder if it's spelt with a J, but if you say it as Gif, there's no ambiguity. English has plenty of words with ge- and gi- not pronounced je- and ji-, such as get and git.

I've never known about the e-mail style... after being here since 2002. :o

Same - or possibly I knew about it but never felt like using it and therefore forgot again.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Okay, new informal poll: S.Q.L or "sequel"?

In my experience, older developers stick with "sequel", while younger ones go with the acronym. I switch back and forth, depending on whom I'm around, but I typically go with the acronym.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Quote:

Since the language was originally named SEQUEL, many people continued to pronounce the name that way after it was shortened to SQL. Both pronunciations are widely used and recognized. As to which is more “official”, I guess the authority would be the ISO Standard, which is spelled (and presumably pronounced) S-Q-L.[2]

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I normally try to make a bug splat sound effect for that one :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

@torhu: Yeah, I knew that. I was just wondering what most people here prefer these days in terms of pronunciation. ;)

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

It's pronounced like "queef" :-/

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

>Gooey sness. >:(

That's just pure epic. ness.
Also, first time ever I hear bout the easy way to quote stuff.. I have always been using the full <quote> story.. I was also sometimes adding name = "", if it was a third party thing, like wiki says..

Append: well, it didn't quote.. Let's try the old way:

Quote:

Gooey sness. >:(

And now I'm sure it did, without even trying it first..

Append1:
Aha, for some reason it didn't realize it's bambams.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

It needs a space after >

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

1   2   3 

Go to: