Questions on how to use this forum...
wqking

Q1, how can I quote other's message when replying?
Q2, how can I see the history threads? Each forum only shows recent threads, and even if I click "Showing recent threads ..." on the left top, it still doesn't work...

Thanks

bamccaig

A1: there is no GUI for quoting and formatting. You must code your reply using either XML or markdown syntax. There is a link in my signature to a thread where the site owner announced the new formatting syntax (and a second link for code). Check those out. The quoting is basically done by copy/paste manually and then either surrounding with <quote></quote> or prefixing with "> " (e.g., email style).

A2: Use the search feature to find older threads relevant to what you want. A.cc has its own feature, or allows you to use Google. In my experience, Google works best, but try both. If neither works you can try a real Google search with the term "site:allegro.cc".

Gideon Weems

Welcome!

wqking said:

Q1, how can I quote other's message when replying?

Quoting on these forums is easier than any forum I've ever been to:

> Q1, how can I quote other's message when replying?

wqking

I see, thanks

A1: there is no GUI for quoting and formatting.

Quoting on these forums is easier than any forum I've ever been to:

Chris Katko

I've never known about the e-mail style... after being here since 2002. :o

jmasterx
bamccaig said:

GUI

Did someone say GUI :o

Edgar Reynaldo

Yes. Informal poll. Gooey? Or G.U.I.?

Eric Johnson

Gooey.

bamccaig

Gooey.

Chris Katko

Gooey... Mmmm...

MiquelFire

Gooey

Gideon Weems

G.U.I.

Also, S.N.E.S.

Eric Johnson

Also, S.N.E.S.

Surprisingly, I pronounce "G.U.I" phonetically as "gooey", but "S.N.E.S" as it is written in acronym form. I just noticed that. Weird...

MiquelFire

Surprisingly, I pronounce "G.U.I" phonetically as "gooey", but "S.N.E.S" as it is written in acronym form. I just noticed that. Weird...

Same...

bamccaig

Gooey sness. >:(

Chris Katko

Snes isn't a word. It's not easy or natural to pronounce for an English speaker.

GIF? Sounded out.

JPEG? Notice you say J, PEG.

PEG is a word, JPEG is meaningless and difficult to sound out.

People pronounce stuff the easiest way. If you can slur it in speech and still understand, that's a pretty good guideline for how it'll be pronounced.

bamccaig

It's absolutely easy to pronounce "sness". A lot easier than "es en ee es". That's why people do it.

GIF is one of those "words" that people argue about. I had one colleague that insisted on saying "jit" just to oppose the "ghiph" people (myself included). "GIF" is also not a natural word. It's an acronym.

Notice that again we say "j-peg" instead of "jay pee ee gee". The easiest way is the fewest syllables. :P "JPEG" is also not a natural word.

"Sness" it is.

Bruce Perry

I used to say G.U.I. and feel strongly about it, but unfortunately common usage around me is to say gooey, and I seem to have been affected.

I say Snez. Also, Gif is a no-brainer; if you say it as Jiff, people will wonder if it's spelt with a J, but if you say it as Gif, there's no ambiguity. English has plenty of words with ge- and gi- not pronounced je- and ji-, such as get and git.

I've never known about the e-mail style... after being here since 2002. :o

Same - or possibly I knew about it but never felt like using it and therefore forgot again.

Eric Johnson

Okay, new informal poll: S.Q.L or "sequel"?

In my experience, older developers stick with "sequel", while younger ones go with the acronym. I switch back and forth, depending on whom I'm around, but I typically go with the acronym.

torhu
Quote:

Since the language was originally named SEQUEL, many people continued to pronounce the name that way after it was shortened to SQL. Both pronunciations are widely used and recognized. As to which is more “official”, I guess the authority would be the ISO Standard, which is spelled (and presumably pronounced) S-Q-L.[2]

Bruce Perry

I normally try to make a bug splat sound effect for that one :)

Eric Johnson

@torhu: Yeah, I knew that. I was just wondering what most people here prefer these days in terms of pronunciation. ;)

torhu

It's pronounced like "queef" :-/

type568

>Gooey sness. >:(

That's just pure epic. ness.
Also, first time ever I hear bout the easy way to quote stuff.. I have always been using the full <quote> story.. I was also sometimes adding name = "", if it was a third party thing, like wiki says..

Append: well, it didn't quote.. Let's try the old way:

Quote:

Gooey sness. >:(

And now I'm sure it did, without even trying it first..

Append1:
Aha, for some reason it didn't realize it's bambams.

Johan Halmén

It needs a space after >

bamccaig

The "> " is "markdown", which was added the same time ML updated the markup system from BBCode to XHTML. There are links to the relevant announcement thread(s) in my signature.

I go with "sequel". >:(

Eric Johnson
Quote:

I go with "sequel". >:(

It's okay to be wrong.

bamccaig

You would know. :-*

Eric Johnson

Ouch! :o

Edgar Reynaldo

You're all wrong. GUI stands for Graphical User Interface, therefore it should be G.U.I. SQL stands for Structured Query Language, hence it should be S.Q.L. Who wants to program a gooey? Or program in Sequel? However, I do pronounce IRC as irk, so maybe exceptions are called for. :/

Eric Johnson

So then do you pronounce "EAGLE GUI" as "E.A.G.L.E G.U.I"?

bamccaig

IRC is one that I pronounce I.R.C., but I think the majority of people do... Or maybe because I only ever discuss it in text it's ambiguous...

If somebody spoke a sentence to me while pronouncing IRC as "urk" I'd probably have no fucking idea what they just said.

Edgar Reynaldo

So then do you pronounce "EAGLE GUI" as "E.A.G.L.E G.U.I"?

Urk... I just say Eagle... :/ It's 2 syllables versus 5 (or 8). But I suppose by that reasoning I would have to say gooey and sequel too. :/

Eric Johnson

No worries, E.D.G.A.R. ::)

GullRaDriel

Talking about GUI I recently tested Nuklear, the " single-header ANSI C gui library"

There is an allegro5 port, a DX port, OpenGL, whatever.

There -> https://github.com/vurtun/nuklear

Pic from the demo I had no problem to compile with allegro5:
{"name":"610806","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/3819f6309cd98ed9ab6eb5915dde29ff.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/3819f6309cd98ed9ab6eb5915dde29ff"}610806

Edit: The author made a post here, without any success. A pity IHMO

Gideon Weems

The author made a post here, without any success.

I remember that. The good-looking GUI left an impression.

Bruce Perry

That's one nice screenshot! I love seeing indie productivity, since it reminds me of my younger, freer self :)

Antsy or A.N.S.I.?

Sea or Curly Kuh?

Edgar Reynaldo
Eric Johnson said:

No worries, E.D.G.A.R. ::)

Edgar's not an acronym, slick. ;)

Chris Katko

[edit]

Eric Johnson

Edgar's not an acronym, slick. ;)

Sure it is! It stands for "Extremely Depressed Gay Anthropomorphic Rhino"! ;D

GullRaDriel

My son's name is Edgar. Remember what you said about that name. I will.
>:(

bamccaig

:D

Eric Johnson

My son's name is Edgar. Remember what you said about that name. I will.
>:(

You misunderstood; that acronym is only reserved for Edgar Reynaldo. Your Edgar has this meaning:

Endangered Devilish Grass-Annihilating Responsibility

;)

GullRaDriel

You're irrecoverable.

8-)

Jonny Cook

You're all wrong. GUI stands for Graphical User Interface, therefore it should be G.U.I. SQL stands for Structured Query Language, hence it should be S.Q.L. Who wants to program a gooey? Or program in Sequel? However, I do pronounce IRC as irk, so maybe exceptions are called for. :/

You're probably joking, but officially pronouncing acronyms as though they spell actual words is pretty common. For instance, people don't say "dee ay are pee ay" -- nobody has time for that. They just say "darpa".

Onewing

U.R.L. or "Earl"?

There's only one person I know who says the latter and it absolutely drives me crazy.

Edgar Reynaldo

If it's only three letters you can't go wrong by pronouncing each one.

Arvidsson

How about A.L.L.E.G.R.O.?

Eric Johnson

Didn't it originally stand for Atari Low-Level Game Routines?

GullRaDriel

It was the case at the start:
"Initially standing for Atari Low-Level Game Routines,[6]", from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegro_(software)#History

Arvidsson

Yeah, that is how I've always pronounced it.

bamccaig
guy1 said:

Hey, man, what's up?

guy2 said:

Oh, hey, have you ever used A.L.L.E.

guy1 said:

Well, see you around.

guy2 said:

G.R.O.?

Arvidsson

Allello? Is that some kind of Allegro competitor?

bamccaig

It's hard to process long acronyms in pieces across thoughts. :-[ If I wasn't so busy at work I probably would have been a bit more careful before posting... Fixed.

type568

It needs a space after >

Thanks!

Thread #616775. Printed from Allegro.cc