Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SO GLAD I NEVER WENT WITH GITLAB

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
SO GLAD I NEVER WENT WITH GITLAB
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

{"name":"610782","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39ec706bf7b4c0ab366345614158d74f.jpg","w":400,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39ec706bf7b4c0ab366345614158d74f"}610782

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

As much as I like to hate things, I doubt this incident would have directly affected either you or me. It was a six-hour window that did not even affect repositories. People who made changes that were not committed to the repo during that six-hour window likely have those changes saved locally and can re-submit.

It does, however, make GitLab look really bad. With better procedures in place, a blunder like this would not have been possible without explicitly trying.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Even if it had been the repositories they lost, git is a distributed system - you just re-push from each clone ;)

At least it wasn't a leak of private repository content - that would be more damaging.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I use GitLab, but my own self hosted instance. Works great! and it's backed up!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

torhu, remind me - is that just a load of stuff that is up for interpretation, meaning that as long as gitlab's staff and moderators are sensible, things will be OK - or was it an avenue whereby SJWs could seek unfair legal action?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

or was it an avenue whereby SJWs could seek unfair legal action?

Entertaining reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3yzh5w/drama_randi_harper_falls_out_with_freebsd_decides/

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

or was it an avenue whereby SJWs could seek unfair legal action?

I don't see how. But I don't like their politics either.

Hm, looks like a good example of why this can be so counter-productive.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

torhu said:

Hm, looks like a good example of why this can be so counter-productive.

She had a huge ego to begin with as I recall her bragging about getting another contributor to FreeBSD banned just because she didn't like him.

Another entertaining read: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/11/24/international-game-developers-association-s-reputation-in-crisis/

Harper's approach for things is the equivalent of a sledgehammer and it appears she doesn't care who suffers from her carelessness. Mainly showing she isn't a fluke example, but rather appears to have a history of trying to bend things to her will and anyone that disagrees with her view is suddenly clumped together (in this case put in a block bot).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Now... wait... how did his thread ALSO become a SJW-rant thread. ??? We don't need two of those at once!

Then I guess, perhaps the original topic burned out since how much can you really discuss about one Git host failing to follow proper backup procedures. As we (should?) all know, backups are meaningless if you never actually TEST the recovery of said backups.

For all you know, all you've done is set up a magical "make hard drive spin fast" batch job.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

This made me think about my backups. Turns out I forgot to add a few VMs and the big vm host (bender) to the backups. oops. Fixed now though.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm glad it worked out for the better! :D

-----sig:

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Now... wait... how did his thread ALSO become a SJW-rant thread.

Because of the Code of Conduct. We could jump to how the Liberal SJWs are calling Trump and his supporters fascists while lacking complete self awareness that they are the ones spouting fascist rhetoric by promoting political violence against anyone that supports Trump or has different views from them.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Don't get me wrong, I see "how" it happened. I just don't know if we need TWO threads here on it.

Also in the news, did you see the UC Berkeley riots (not protest... RIOT) where they burned stuff, and might have straight-up murdered a Trump supporter?

{"name":"rjs7d6gpbjdy.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/76aef7ad7a3ae0af6312ef2702e0e640.png","w":1028,"h":514,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/76aef7ad7a3ae0af6312ef2702e0e640"}rjs7d6gpbjdy.png

How the hell can you justify in your mind being "the good guys" when you beat up a defenseless person on the ground? They're complete scumbugs.

And the media and EVERYONE who isn't also throwing those scumbags in jail, is an accomplice to their terrorism.

Quote:

terrorism
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Basically THE DEFINITION of terrorism.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You don't understand. 10 years ago a man let it slip that grown women permitted a rich man to openly touch their vaginas. Now everybody has to die.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

You don't understand. 10 years ago a man let it slip that grown women permitted a rich man to openly touch their vaginas. Now everybody has to die.

It genuinely makes me sad to see so many people throw away logic and reason "for the greater good."

I--naively--thought while I was growing up we were entering a new age of Reason. Criticizing the government and being skeptical of large political and business interests. I didn't realize how fragile that state of affairs really was.

The Left has become the Right of the 90's. Instead of telling people they're all "sinners," now they're all "bigots." The words are different but the means are the same. To dehumanize anyone who dares speak up against the steamroller.

-----sig:

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

You want the kicker for me? Feminist Frequency, the one claiming games are sexist, etc. and game devs should change...one of her "Directors" in regards to UC Berkley:
{"name":"C3spwHmUoAENjYz.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7abf7cb32166c76e7947c0a265bf7473.jpg","w":600,"h":592,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7abf7cb32166c76e7947c0a265bf7473"}C3spwHmUoAENjYz.jpg
Picture of her two tweets unblocked considering UC Berkley riot a "victory"

{"name":"C3t51obUYAA4njA.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a44bc1df5ee7a617802292922fdebe6.jpg","w":671,"h":450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a44bc1df5ee7a617802292922fdebe6"}C3t51obUYAA4njA.jpg

These are the people saying gamers are sexist, racist, et. al. and claiming games are unfair to minorities and women.

I'm seeing people call them anti-fascist fascists, which a lot of them said that doesn't make sense. Rather straight forward for me, they are claiming to be anti-fascist while spouting fascist views. The liberals have officially redefined fascism because as of now, it is no longer just a right-wing thing.

Anti-Trump propaganda:
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/827387410610745347

Problem is that it counters its own anti-Trump angle after showing her father and brother were killed in previous Obama ordered strikes. They try to tug at your heart strings, but forget that many of our soldiers were killed by child suicide bombers when they went to help them. Women and children are just a tool of war for the extremists, have been for years.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A funny thing is that YouTubers have overlaid flocks of sheep over American rioters. There is certainly a recognizable pattern. It makes you think. I used to think that having a large portion of the population march in on the Canadian Parliament or the US White House would be the only way to incite change. I don't actually think that it would help. I wish I had a better idea, but I think society is a difficult thing to change by design. I trust that the powers that be are pulling the strings on the social just warriors in order to maintain their own control over the system. The thing that scares me the most is how vulnerable academia has been to the political pressure. It seems to be undermining generations of slow fought wisdom in a matter of years.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

That is another angle of fascism. They want to train the youth from a young age to think a certain way. Sounds familiar to a certain group wanting to have academia that teaches men are evil for finding women attractive. Nah, surely that is purely coincidence.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

That is another angle of fascism. They want to train the youth from a young age to think a certain way. Sounds familiar to a certain group wanting to have academia that teaches men are evil for finding women attractive.

That's actually the end goal of pretty much every single ideology out there. Humans are pretty manipulative beasts.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

TL;DR; People are scum.

Those rioters? Scum.

Trump? Scum.

Extremists? Scum. (read: far right, far left, 3rd wave feminists, etc)

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

tl;dr tw;dc

Too wasted; don't care?

The Walt Disney Company?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Too wasted; don't care?

Too whiny; don't care... My Thursdays should be so lucky.

Quote:

The Walt Disney Company?

:D

I do like that Adventure banner image above Ms Petit. I need to play that game.

1   2 

Go to: