Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » TINS 2016

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
TINS 2016
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I have a problem when I want to go to TINS's website from work...

Stupid proxy filters. I have no power over it.

{"name":"610341","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f08ce5019d4c2c63ca2d5e145c662e0c.png","w":1272,"h":486,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f08ce5019d4c2c63ca2d5e145c662e0c"}610341

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

12 minutes and counting...

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Less than ONE minute!!! :o

-----------------

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

The rules are up!

What do we think of them? Easy? Tough? Confusing?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think it's going to be a little more tough than I anticipated. None of the rules have anything to do with my original ideas for a quick game. For example, I don't know anything about pathfinding algorithms.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

TINS 2016 Rules

Genre Requirement

1. Craftsmanship: The game is centered around crafting items out of components.

Artistic Requirements

1. Include dialog in poetic form (rhymed couplets, limerick, haiku) as much as you can
2. Include snow

Technical Requirements

1. path finding
2. use unicode to display non-english characters (e.g. russian, japanese). If you don't know any of these languages, that doesn't matter. Just use a phrase.

Bonus Rule

1. Act of Formaldehyde: you can opt out of a rule if instead you decide to follow three other rules from a previous Speedhack/TINS. The rules page containing those rules should still be up for all to see.

___

What do we think of them? Easy? Tough? Confusing?

Nice! It took me about 15 minutes to figure out what to do with it, so you have to be a bit creative.

For example, I don't know anything about pathfinding algorithms.

I plan to implement the absolute most basic path finding to meet the requirement. ;D

--

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

It was really hard to read the rules on my phone, as the pre tags (I assume, didn't look at the code) make the font REALLY small compared to the rest of the text. And the rules cause a horizontal scroll on my desktop... (Which explains the small text on my phone). Might want to change that up for next time.

The quick plan I came up with, the core game combines the craftsmanship, poetic form, and unicode in one concept. The path finding might define how I make the core game.

Snow would mainly use the rule from sh2015 about particles, so that's two rules for the bonus I'm using. I forget which speedhack has the screen Independence rule however, but every game I made since that one used that rule anyway... so... Anyway, if I hate the unicode rule enough, I'll hunt another rule to use.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Genre Requirement

1. Craftsmanship: The game is centered around crafting items out of components.

Last week I was thinking about Minecraft-style games. Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to do one in two or three days.

Besides that, I have no idea about what can I do.

-----------------

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Niunio said:

Last week I was thinking about Minecraft-style games. Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to do one in two or three days. Besides that, I have no idea about what can I do.

I'm taking the simplest approach and just allowing you to combine certain two items into a new item. But that's it. 1+1 on only a few items.

Any n+n combination is going to get out of hand.

Also, combining items doesn't have to mean inventory... you could trigger two blocks on the game field and spawn a sword. :)

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I don't know anything about pathfinding algorithms.

You could read up with the link I provided, but admittedly A* is a lot to take in if you have to start from zero.

But you can simply move your guy from A to B in a straight line. Or make him walk randomly until he stumbles upon the goal. It's not very advanced, but it would meet the requirements.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

That's weird. All I see is my wife's webcam website.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

But you can simply move your guy from A to B in a straight line

niiiiiiiiiice 8-)

--

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Oh I really want to participate but I don't think I will have time this weekend :( I will try though.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Okay, I've been looking for a font character viewer so I can tell whether or not a given font contains the characters I need. I'm trying to display some Kanji that I've already translated and found the unicode decimal values for, but none of the font or character viewers I've tried even remotely works right.

What are you guys using? I'm just trying to get a dumb splash screen done. Halp!!!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Maybe the one I'm using? Look in my repo.

---
MiquelFire.red

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Try FontForge. At least that works on linux.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Okay, FontForge works decently. It turns out the font I downloaded doesn't support Ideographs, and neither does MiguelFire's font. I need something that supports Kanji.

I found a font called Kudou that supports the characters I need, but it's over 4MB!!! With my library included that's way too big!!!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Fonts are big.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

With static linking I got my total down to 4.6MB. That gives me room for some jpgs.

I'm having trouble getting my unicode to display properly though. I've never used ALLEGRO_USTR's before. Here's the code I am using :

ALLEGRO_USTR* ustr_title = al_ustr_new("");
   al_ustr_append_chr(ustr_title , '\u96EA');
   al_ustr_append_chr(ustr_title , '\u7537');

int x,y,w,h;
   al_get_ustr_dimensions(kudou_font->AllegroFont() , ustr_title , &x , &y , &w , &h);

al_draw_ustr(kudou_font->AllegroFont() , al_map_rgb(255,0,0) , (ww - w)/2 , (wh - h)/2 , 0 , ustr_title);

The source file is encoded as UTF-8.

What am I doing wrong? The text I am trying to draw is not visible.

This doesn't work either :

char buf[1024];
   memset(buf , 0 , sizeof(char)*1024);

int nbytes = al_utf8_encode(buf , '\u96EA');
   nbytes += al_utf8_encode(buf + nbytes , '\u7537');

al_utf8_encode(buf + nbytes , '\0');

ALLEGRO_USTR* ustr_title = al_ustr_new(buf);

EDIT
I got it to work. Instead of using unicode literals, I used the hexadecimal values. Ie. This works :

char buf[1024];
   memset(buf , 0 , sizeof(char)*1024);

int nbytes = al_utf8_encode(buf , 0x96EA);
   nbytes += al_utf8_encode(buf + nbytes , 0x7537);

al_utf8_encode(buf + nbytes , '\0');

ALLEGRO_USTR* ustr_title = al_ustr_new(buf);

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

What's wrong with just using normal strings?

char x[1024] = "春過ぎ";
strcat(x, "て");
al_draw_textf(..., "%s", x);

Will print: 春過ぎて

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

1   2 

Go to: