1   2 
TINS 2016
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

UTF8. All of Allegro's strings are UTF8 - so as long as your text editor is set to UTF8 it will work. Other than that you need to be careful though - functions like strlen() or strcat() will work as all they care about are 0-bytes in the string, and UTF8 is compatible with ASCII there. Other things will not work in general, so there is a point where you will want the al_ustr_* functions instead. But for simple things you don't have to :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Holy crap I've been coding for about 14 hours straight.

Game's coming along pretty smoothly :). How you guys holding up?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Everybody goes Japanese. I think I'll go Russian. 8-)

Quote:

That's weird. All I see is my wife's webcam website.

I didn't put that webcam. Really! :(

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

TINS Update:

God, I suck. O_O

I've gotten so rusty with game programming and my health problems keep getting in the way. I've only put ~1.5 hours in so far and I need to take a break.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Mid-speedhack crisis is starting to kick in for a few people. It's natural around this time. Things might seem overwhelming at this point, all the things you have planned and no time to do all of them.

Don't give up yet!

It's a matter of properly scaling your plans. Miran Amon succeeded in creating a second-place entry with just one day of coding.

Elias is still planning to submit with just a few hours of spare time, and I'm hoping he succeeds.

Adjust your targets. Anybody can write hangman in 2 hours. With the proper dressing up, you can make hangman fit the rules as well: Hangman is crafting a scaffold. The word you look for is the last word of a poem. It's a poem about finding your path in life. The win / game over message is in russian. There is a snow particle effect in the background. Ok, so it might not be a winning entry. Submitting a complete game is its own reward.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Been following the logs, I'm impressed to see how you guys can do so much in such a little time.
I got a late start together with lack of skill and lack of ideas. Gave up after I couldn't get my collision detection right.

Good luck to everyone.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I never had time to participate, though I was probably the first to sign up.
But here's my rhyme dictionary for anyone, who hasn't started with the dialog yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Haa yes, that was a good night ! Down @ 2h22 of the morning, but it works !

3H50 before the end, and still a lot to do !! Keep going guys !

Edit: Deadline is soon, I submitted !!

Donc't wait and give what you have !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I did a point'n'click with only one puzzle, but it has all rules. Did I win yet? ::);D

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Mark, where can I find allegro_flares.h ?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

AllegroFlare is my framework/library. You'll need to compile the project from source - I made a 0.8.7.tins release here). The TINS game + allegro_flare will only work with Allegro 5.2.0.

If you plan on building, please let me know what problems you run into. :) I'm wanting to make building AllegroFlare as seamless as possible before 1.0.

When I put up my game thread, I plan to have builds.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I ran into problems. I stopped for now.

Mainly:
Added
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h> to include/allegro_flare/attributes.h

Quoted al_set_new_bitmap_depth in ElementID *ElementIDManager::get_element_by_id(std::string id) line 47 (What does it do here ?)

added #include <iostream> to include/allegro_flare/clipboard.h

Edit: and obligatory changed the makefile includes, path error else:
LIBS_ROOT=.
ALLEGRO_DIR=$(LIBS_ROOT)/allegro5
ALLEGRO_LIB_DIR=$(ALLEGRO_DIR)/build/lib
ALLEGRO_FLARE_DIR=./include
ALLEGRO_FLARE_LIB_NAME=allegro_flare-$(ALLEGRO_FLARE_VERSION_STR)
INCLUDE_FLAGS=-I$(ALLEGRO_DIR)/include -I$(ALLEGRO_FLARE_DIR)

Else allegro-flare itself would not compile.

See you tomorrow !

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quoted al_set_new_bitmap_depth in ElementID *ElementIDManager::get_element_by_id(std::string id) line 47 (What does it do here ?)

*Smacks self on head*

Can't believe I left that in there.

Also, that means you're not using Allegro 5.2.0. In order for the game to work it needs features in that version (namely the al_set_new_bitmap_depth())

Quote:

added #include <iostream> to include/allegro_flare/clipboard.h

Oh good catch. Actually, that should probably go in source/clipboard_generic.cpp.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I got tied up with personal problems. No entry for me this year. :/

:/

I ended up with a bunch of health issues. I put maybe four hours in. Was playing around with a GTA-style game but more puzzle, with trying to drive through obstacles / parking lots without getting in an accident.

I haven't given up on it, but I've come to realize how little "free time" I really have even when I'm truly interested in a project.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

1   2 

Go to: