Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A word in English, if it actually exists..

Credits go to Arthur Kalliokoski, bamccaig, and Bruce Perry for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A word in English, if it actually exists..
type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I'm looking for a word, that would describe a steak that was actually "beaten" before frying it, so that the meat becomes more tender. I found the word "chops", but it apparently refers to some specific cuts of meat. Also in regular dictionary there's no noun for the word "chop".

So, is there a word in English to describe a steak that was beaten with a special hammer to make the steak softer?

???

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

steak tartare ?

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

No, no.. The "beating" of the meat doesn't silce it, it only makes it softer. It's actual beating with a special hammer(or anything else), it's not cutting.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm sure there's a word for it, but I'm not a chef. If it matters enough I'd suggest asking #cooking on irc.freenode.net (ordinarily #english would be appropriate, but since this is food specific I'd bet #cooking is a better bet). Somebody should know.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

tenderize/ˈtɛndərʌɪz/
verb

make (meat) more tender by beating or slow cooking.

Meat can also be tenderized with special sauces that have enzymes to break down the the collegens in the meat somewhat.

Tenderized steak.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Tenderised if you're British :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Thanks guys, Tenderis(z)ed shall be it. Googling/looking up in translators/dictionaries didn't cut it.

Oh, and awesome suggestion bout IRC.. Guess I'll use that in similar scenarios.. Although perhaps I'll write another post, it's not that frequent for me to be unable to find an appropriate word if given the time to find. And a conversation here is always pleasant. :)

P.S:
Chrome says it's tenderised, not tenderized :P
I'm clueless what English it uses though. It does know a British lift is an elevator though..

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

If you need somewhere to ask about words in the future, I believe this thread is about to be returned to the pool for re-use :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Beating hard meat to make it softer? I had some different English in mind...

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Beating hard meat to make it softer? I had some different English in mind...

This seems like a good time to encourage everyone to enable the display of animated avatars in their settings :)

92baca57d548ebdb3d8721bca79c5ca439b9941e.gif

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: