Thread locks too soon
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

"There are no girl jobs or boy jobs. You can pursue any career you want."

I weigh in excess of 230 pounds, and I sure wouldn't want some female firefighter trying to carry me out of a burning building. Also, you very rarely see women doing construction labor or garbage truck jobs (by their own choice).

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The idea that no women can drag your fat ass across the floor is ridiculous and sexist. Anybody who can pass the CPAT and other qualifications can do the job.

Not even every male fire fighter could throw you over their shoulders and carry you to safety. It's a good thing they always come with buddies! But I guess since not all men could do it then none of them deserve to be fire fighters.

There's no job that is equally easy for everybody. That's the part about life not being fair. But that doesn't make a job male or female.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The idea that no women can drag your fat ass across the floor is ridiculous and sexist.

I suppose you imagine this sort of attitude makes you more attractive to women?

When I was in boot camp, I weighed about 130 pounds and was able to lift a fellow recruit who weighed 175 pounds off the floor and get him on my shoulder. After I got out, I had a construction job and there was a female roofer who could lift a 90 pound roll of tar paper onto each shoulder and then go 18 feet up on an extension ladder no hands (because she was hanging onto the tar paper with each hand). Memorable simply because it was so unusual a woman could do that.

Woman fails firefighter test but is hired anyway because reasons

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'm sure not punching a woman in a face would make me more attractive than someone who does that, but that's not why I maintain a baseline of common decency.

"You cannot be a firefighter because you are a woman" is a sexist and inaccurate thing to say. "You cannot be a firefighter unless you are physically fit" is the proper attitude. And yes, if you are a woman it will be harder for you to do because life isn't "fair." This doesn't make it a "man's job" but a "strong person's job." That type of distinction is meaningful and important over and over again.

Regarding if a single woman was allowed to be a firefighter without passing the test*, I bet it has happened. And I bet there's male firefighters that haven't or cannot pass it any more. None of that has anything to do with the basic discussion on whether or not women should be allowed to be firefighters or how to label the job.

(*) And no, it's not unreasonable to take a step back and look if a particular test accurately represents what is needed on a job. If a person fails a test that is deemed to not be pertinent to the job, then the test needs to be modified accordingly to remove the bias. I'm not saying this applies to any particular single instance you could bring up -- but it is a valid consideration.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm sure not punching a woman in a face would make me more attractive than someone who does that, but that's not why I maintain a baseline of common decency.

Hyperbole much? Or is this a slippery slope?

I meant more like some guy who doesn't think foreplay consists of four hours of begging. Those soyboys on reddit all go ballistic with "Rape! Rape!" when anyone mentions "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand even though it specifically says in the book (narrator expressing her thoughts to herself) "Don't let him ask! Please don't let him ask!"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

To suggest that women can do any job equally well as men is generally true, except for where muscle/abuse are involved. What we find is that the gaps get bigger the more freeing the society. When women must step up and take a high paying job they do it (e.g., India). It generally won't make them happy, but they have no choice. When they have a choice (e.g., Sweden) they overwhelmingly choose stereotypical roles and part time work. Whereas women are now encouraged to work any job they want, most still go into stereotypical feminine or neutral roles for less pay, and men are still stuck with the reality that they need to try to be breadwinners because odds are the woman you are matched with won't want to earn as much.

What's also sexist about it still is that women do not want to date men that make less money than them. That needs to change if you want to achieve a fair and just society that expects the same of women as it expects of men. As long as they continue to have all of the choices they will remain the Privileged Sex.

Feminism puts a bad and false spin on things. They suggest that if women were not supported doing certain jobs that it was meant as an oppression to keep them subservient to men. In reality, it wasn't so much "you can't do that!" Throughout history there are examples of women that did that, proving that it could be done. It's more like, "why would you want to do that?" You don't have to. And most importantly, women today rate their lives as less happy than previous generations.

I don't call that progress. Feminism is not about equality. It never was. If it was then we'd be teaching women that they own 50% of the burden for providing for their family (i.e., it's not a choice, any more than it is for men). That doesn't happen though. Most women today are not aiming for big careers, and the ones that do often change their minds as they start to accomplish milestones and realize that it doesn't make them happy. Inevitably, they take a break to focus on children, which necessarily comes before her career going forward. It's an ideology paid for by women to make themselves even more free and powerful. And it has been very powerful. And the harms done to society are evident to most people. But most dare not question the ideology.

This is the kind of thing that makes me so angry. The "dream" has not been realized. What we have is just a severely broken system where the balance of responsibility and power is completely fucked. That's why I'm anti-Feminist. But that doesn't mean that I think women should go back to the kitchen. On the contrary, we need to place upon them the same burdens that men face so that women can take up their fair share, equally responsible for them.

What's also lost with a modern lens is that short urethras and vaginas are very vulnerable to infection. Women used to work in the mines hundreds of years ago, but only when it became necessary. And the result was recurring infections that could be life threatening without modern medicine. It's funny how we don't read about that when it comes to stereotypical "women's work".

I call myself an egalitarian. I fully support moving our society to expect the same of both sexes. I'm not sure that's what's best for anyone, but I think given what we've done so far it's the only way forward. Give them the equality they demand by demanding as much of them as we do of men. Wherever women cannot handle it we would need to relax the pressure on men and free them of an unfair burden. I don't see how society will thrive under these conditions, but perhaps we need to commit to the idea to see if it will succeed or fail.

We certainly can't keep going this way.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Give it a rest already.

{"name":"c10563618e6321b28637862cd252fdaf.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/6\/26b4e3b1378f264fbdbf520a73655c77.jpg","w":500,"h":487,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/6\/26b4e3b1378f264fbdbf520a73655c77"}c10563618e6321b28637862cd252fdaf.jpg

NSFA

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/13/monica-lewinsky-shares-x-rated-details-of-white-house-sex-with-bill-clinton-8136551/

So Oral hygiene and impeachment is only for Democratic presidents.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Haven't been in here in a while.

I believe in the power of God and I trust in his mercy.

Good stuff! Stick to it.

I'm praying a lot lately, but things don't look good. My wife of 36 years has cancer and may not survive longer than a few months. What's worse is she has brain cancer. It's an emotional roller coaster for me, not sure what to do or think.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I feel so sorry for you. I'm sending you and your wife my best thoughts for that hard fight.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

That's awful to hear, NiteHackr. I wish you lots of strength.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Thanks a lot guys. I do my best to help her and remain strong, but I have cried a lot in private. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. She has long hair, down to her butt, but after treatment next week, she will probably lose it all.

The main problem that started it all was smoking. I pleaded with her to quit for years, but she has always been really hooked on the things. I am SO glad I quit in the '90s. If you smoke, quit the things because this will come upon you really fast. A couple months ago we were fine, not a worry in the world.

Funny thing is, I have lived on my own for three years of my life total (and I knew her during those years). The rest of the time I have been with her. So... living alone will be hard.

Anyhow, sorry to dump on you guys.

---

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Dump away. We're here for you if you need us to be.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Sorry to hear that, man.

If it helps to talk about it, then please do so.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

That is absolutely terrible news. I can't begin to imagine the whirlwind of emotions you're experiencing right now. I'm so sorry, Neil. You're both in my prayers.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I think I've been working too much. Last night I was so tired I tried googling for half an hour to try to work out how to get the weather info on the taskbar to display in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, without being able to locate any such setting.

Then I remembered that I had my VPN set to USA so I could watch American Netflix. Problem solved.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

We may have our differences Neil, but I am sorry for the awful news. All I can suggest is you keep praying about it. Peter (petra) (the rock) is a good book to read and has some instructions for when people are sick. You're supposed to have the elders of the church anoint her with oil and pray over her. Enjoy the time you have left together as best you can.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I don't wanna be insensitive so I'm putting this in spoilers:

I've been working on video streaming at my current job. Video streaming is really, really interesting and challenging...

And so I was approached by and interviewed with a Netflix competitor. Ended up with an amazing offer for a mid-level position. We're talking WA/CA salary (I live in a NC metro, so like half the cost of rent and such). And it's 100% remote.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm thinking maybe it's time to move on. This community is barely alive anymore, and that's unlikely to ever change. I could be using this time better. But I miss it here (I already do). My goal should be to find a new community for broad discussions with intelligent people from all over the world (suggestions welcome). And if it doesn't exist yet maybe create one.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Leave if you like, but then who else will I argue with? It's not like you can't just check recent threads or stop in to keep this thread open.

>:(:-*;D

AFFS, everybody who hasn't bookmarked recent threads yet, kindly do so now.

And by the way, allegro 5 is still quite alive, it's a.cc that's dying out. We haven't had our regular crop of newbs who graduate to member for a long time.

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

You'll forever keep on lurking.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

I'm thinking maybe it's time to move on.

You can check any time you like, but you can never leave! 8-)

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig: I've basically moved on to other forums, and discord. Engineering ones where people value objective facts and expect people to put effort in to learn instead of being spoonfed. My first post on one EE forum, they replied "draw the schematic." I had to put effort in if I wanted to learn the answer.

You're always welcome to message me! Play some Duke3D or something.

Also fun fact: I'm 95% sure I'm autistic. 8-) So if you disagree with me, you're actually attacking me. Between being part Jewish, autistic, [censored], and more, I'm basically godtier on the identity politics ladder. Don't hate the player, hate the patriarchy!

video

I'd love A.CC to be popular again. Seems like all "the kids" moved on to "game engine" and "game makers", and the rest ask on Stack Overflow.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Any suggestions for other places to have reasonable discussions with intelligent people? PM if you think it's in bad taste to post.

I'm also confident that I'm autistic or something related, but getting any kind of diagnosis isn't on anyone else' priority list. Mostly they prefer to deny me an explanation while disregarding my need for an answer. :-/

I'm doing a virtual group CBT/DBT therapy class once a week now. Unfortunately I'm not really working on anything huge. I'm just trying to get back to drinking water, taking my medication on time every time, and getting lots of exercise.

I hear you on the identity politics thing. I wonder if at some point society will take science seriously enough to right all of the wrongs and either achieve equality or negotiate a treaty between the sexes. :'( But I'm not holding my breath.

Chris, I wish you'd play CSGO with me. :-*

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Bam, if you leave I'm shutting this place down. >:(

Maybe we just need to do another duet or two to cheer you up.

Go to: