This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

i give up trying to post in this thread with the server crapping out so often.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

At some point, Matt needs to limit the scope of the auto quote system for threads like this one.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I don't have time to read the article at this moment, but I did a little research on your first link and some major red flags are:

1. He has no academic background (in few words, I can't find any information on his studies). :)
2. His research is cited only by one other article. :)
3. The journal he published is seems incredibly biased (not all journals are equal). :)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't disagree, I also got the impression that it might have been fringe, but then again with Feminist ideologies in power researchers aren't even able to ask these questions in the mainstream, let alone qualify for funding to study them. That's very problematic. Our science is crippled by your colourful buddies. I'm glad you guys are coming to terms with your brain development (as am I), but the war on science must stop.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Edgar: Ok, lord gatekeeper of the internet.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Let's talk some more about politics! We don't talk about that very often I believe.

Dutch election results are in.
https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2021-03-18/dutch-prime-minister-powers-to-fourth-straight-election-win

The number of parties in the Dutch parliament has exploded in recent years. There were 36 parties on the ballot, 17 of which are now going to be able to claim at least one seat in parliament. 3 of these 17 are newcomers.

You'd think that this would make the Netherlands difficult to govern. But on the other hand, the ruling coalition keeps its majority, in spite of unpopularity of COVID measures and the recent childcare allowance scandal that caused the disbandment of the government in the first place. Power is still firmly in the hands of the established parties.

Also bad news for Brexiteers: the so desired domino effect isn't happening. "Nexit" is forgotten. The Dutch voted soundly for pro-EU parties. An interesting new development: the pan-european Volt party makes its debut in parliament.

Our dedicated conspiracy-theory party is FvD, but claiming fraud proves difficult for them as they were gaining seats. (Article from the dutch equivalent of the Onion)

Here is another nice explainer in English: https://dutchreview.com/news/politics/the-netherlands-has-voted-five-things-to-know-about-the-dutch-elections-results-of-2021/

Please discuss with same intensity as the American elections. Kthxbye.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

You'd think that this would make the Netherlands difficult to govern

I'm second generation Dutch. The sheer stubbornness of my Dutch relatives is what I think would make the Netherlands hard to govern.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

video

Unrelated, but I guess related...

The reference to comment or conduct "that is known or ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome" means that there are two parts to the test for harassment. First, we have to consider if the person carrying out the harassment knew how their behaviour would be received. Second, we must consider how someone else would generally feel about the behaviour – this can help us think from the perspective of a person who is being harassed.

This law means one of two things for me and people like me that struggle to empathize[1], especially before becoming conscious of your disability.

• Either I'm free to harass women as long as I'm reasonably unaware that I'm doing it (because the law should recognize my inability to understand how they feel about my "comment or conduct"). This is very unlikely to be interpreted in this way by neurotypical (normal) people..

• Or I can be guilty of a crime that I may be unable to know that I am committing.

Any woman looking at our social and public framework would have to be unpractised thinkers (and therefore very dangerous) or mentally ill to believe that men as a class are in control. Society is a nightmare for men. True equality would free us. And that's why true is equality is opposed vehemently by Feminists and women alike whenever it is attempted. You and I may be doing great for now, but there are real men (human beings) suffering under these systems right now. And absolutely no protections exist to defend against these things. Millionaires are not immune. Billionaires are immune so far, but it ruins their golf game.

Ok Edgar, lord gatekeeper of the Internet.

He's not wrong. Use fully described XML tags:

<quote name="who or what said it" src="url to quote or explain where the quote can be found">the content</quote>

...becomes...

the content

Posts instantly. Then try using this and see how long it takes:

> the content

<quote>the content</quote>

{"name":"612923","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8abdd07cdfe0f7652eb6653dfaaf87af.png","w":808,"h":488,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8abdd07cdfe0f7652eb6653dfaaf87af"}612923

Or pull in https://github.com/bambams/acc.js for some simple helpers that can be accessed with the click of a link. Host your own copy to avoid very rare breakage from live hacks or SSL downtime, which is rare now that SSLMate reminds me. The links in the repo itself are probably broken so feel free to report that and I'll fix them. :P

References

1. See High Functioning Autism.
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

{"name":"612926","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7c35423ce57d24137d46781bb2821d44.png","w":512,"h":512,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7c35423ce57d24137d46781bb2821d44"}612926

New ItsyRealm logo.

Changed plans a little, going to focus on polishing the starter area then releasing it on Steam Early Access. So this would be in the next 2-3 months.

I'd be happy to sell like 5,000-10,000 copies, would totally make it worth my time over the last few years.

Tomorrow ItsyRealm turns three years old. They grow up so fast. :'(

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

migrant children, or delicious biden potatoes? you decide! and don't you love how we need an "alt right leaker" just to find out how kids are living?

{"name":"donna-facility-Veritas-01-700x420.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/d\/fdf9787295655836726e6b29ed99de01.png","w":700,"h":420,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/d\/fdf9787295655836726e6b29ed99de01"}donna-facility-Veritas-01-700x420.png

Just remember, vote Blue No Matter who! Because the corporations need bailouts.

I wish a Republican was president again, so their lives actually mattered to dems again. Because I don't really care what peoples "views" are if the end result is 15,000 children tossed into hot pocket containers.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Honestly I think that money has corrupted America so much that even the "good" ones are somewhat evil. I don't think it's interesting that Trump is a terrible person, or that Biden doesn't magically have a solution that the public will actually like. Your options are: tax Americans more to pay for better quality of care, or leave things as they are and let the poor "illegal" migrants suffer. Of course, you and I both know which one would win in a referendum in America. They're just saving time by not holding the referendum.

Besides, the whole children in cages thing kind of got old. You can only be outraged at so much for so long before you become desensitized to it. If that was the only evil thing going on in the world, let alone that part of the world, then maybe everybody would stay upset about it. But there's no shortage of reasons to be upset right now. Science has once again come under attack in our lifetimes, and has been significantly hindered and tampered with. There seems to be a great deal of nonsense "science" that is accepted now as truth without question, despite the fact that experts in the field disagree... The result appears to be that the people in power do not believe in science and knowledge and truth, but rather they appear to believe that what is "true" is malleable and open to interpretation. Which is how women are just as strong, smart, and everything else as men, despite the fact that they also need so much extra protection, help, and exceptional treatment compared to men. You see, logic does not matter any more. Anything goes. 1+1=3 now. Fuck it. Prove it doesn't without relying on patriarchy science! That's probably what Trump was going for. I guess if we're going to all pretend that women are just as strong as men then anything goes!

Old ideas don't sell as good as new ideas. Even if those ideas are irrelevant to the world or even fake, they'll sell better to these little shits they call consumers if they sell something new and fashionable instead of something true and important. That's the reason the media isn't covering this right now. It's not the most demanded content. That's probably some celebrity gossip or something. While it's easy to blame the media industries, and they certainly own their fair share of responsibility for this, but also people do. Consumers do. We're the ones paying for all of this shit content. Why? They're just giving us what we most want. Why do we want such shitty content? What the fuck is wrong with us as a culture?!

I say "we" to be inclusive, but certainly some of us try to be different. Perfection is perhaps unattainable, but we can try. The saddest part is that the way our systems are designed the majority can drag the rest of us down with them.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Like it or not, we can't just release unaccompanied children out into the deserts to fend for themselves. Someone has to take responsibility for those children before they can be released.

I don't like the hot pocket picture any more than you do. They should be given cots and real blankets not just thermal wraps. They should be given hot meals and have access to showers and toilets. They should be treated humanely as if they were our own children.

Now, Biden hasn't done nothing in his time so far. He's paved the road for dreamers and immigrants to gain citizenship, something the Trump administration would never have done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

We cannot even afford to give elite female athletes weights to work out, so how do you think we could afford to give hundreds of cots to those kids. We're a broke nation. :'(

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Considering Project Veritas' reputation Chris, I would suggest getting a second confirmation.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

{"name":"im-87570","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f85ebab9c7f3f173d846848debad9cad.jpg","w":1280,"h":853,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f85ebab9c7f3f173d846848debad9cad"}im-87570

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/22/border-patrol-facility-photos-show-migrant-children-mats-texas/6956909002/

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/22/donna-border-patrol-facility-photos/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-aud-nw-biden-border-migrant-detention-secrecy-20210322-7i3idaxg5bbebezopki24bjwnq-story.html

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/22/biden-administration-faces-new-scrutiny-on-unaccompanied-minors

Like it or not, we can't just release unaccompanied children out into the deserts to fend for themselves. Someone has to take responsibility for those children before they can be released.

You sound exactly like a Fox News pundit.

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris, thanks for being rude to me again. Did I do something to piss you off? You know what I said was true. I'm not the enemy here. I don't like the situation at the border either. Try a little less harder to make enemies out of your friends.

And by the way, your complaints about the border here on a.cc do exactly NOTHING to fix it. Just so you know.

EDIT
Don't be a grumpy cat.

{"name":"gtik.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/6\/86167879845d71b9856be2ae12c9ee7a.gif","w":500,"h":281,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/6\/86167879845d71b9856be2ae12c9ee7a"}gtik.gif

@bambams
How goes the daily struggle

EDIT2
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/609347/945362#target
Enabling MSAA using gl only.

EDIT3
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/608174/929156#target

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The struggle is real. >:( I haven't felt suicidal in a few days so that's a relief. My wife is helping me out a lot. My blood test results came back slightly anemic (might explain why I'm always tired now). And my Eosinophils level (white blood cells) is nearly 3x normal, which may indicate some kind of infection or disease that is being fought. :-/ I'm waiting to hear from the doctor to see if we need to follow up on the test or if that's sufficient for the referral. And whether we need to take any additional steps for my blood test results.

I'm still struggling to concentrate. I am supposed to start vacation on Thursday. I goofed up when I booked it and left a gap in the middle of it. But my manager gave me 2 extra days to fill the gap and extend it a bit more. Probably in hopes that after having 10 or 11 days off I'll come back rested and full of energy again and hopefully be back at full capacity. Hopefully that's true. I probably need to quit smoking cannabis for a few weeks to really get my concentration back under control, but I don't think that I'm ready for that yet. It has been too vital to take the edge off when my mind is telling me to kill myself. :P

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

@Edgar EDIT3 must be a lot of fun to look at X-D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

To think that a thread from 2015 about threads locking would have lasted all this time without locking... 🤣😂

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

If that date is correct, we beat XKCD's "Time" thread. For a sad reason, we miss you XKCD forums. :'(

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Fuck my life. It seems that my lack of focus isn't going away. And it's most likely tied to my cannabis use. Which means that I'm going to have to quit using cannabis too. At least for a long while. I do not yet know how I'm going to manage to cope in the meantime with nothing. I'm reaching out to my doctor for medical options to help. I may try working out some to see if I can adopt a healthy practice in place of an unhealthy one... But that doesn't seem likely. :P

Go to: