Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Will Matthew find out how stupid I am?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Will Matthew find out how stupid I am?
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I just wrote a question about pointers to pointers. I couldn't figure out how to write proper code. But when I had written my post, I realized it. So I never sent it. Now I know that if I go to the Programming Forum, a.cc might throw an alert suggestin that I continue to write the unsent post. And I can retrieve the text I wrote. And this I can do on another computer. So my stupid question is actually saved on the a.cc server, right?

Actually I'm not sure if a.cc behaves exactly like I explained. I never created the new thread. It might be that you only face the alerts, when you have earlier started typing in the message box in an existing thread. But nevertheless, it always scares me a little that my typing seems to escape to the cyberspace even if I don't click submit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I got yer back, buddy, I cancel stupid posts every two hours. He'll never notice yours among the blizzard.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I print out all discarded posts and then host parties where we all sit around and laugh at what people almost said.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Does Piccolo ever cancel?

[EDIT]

I print out all discarded posts and then host parties where we all sit around and laugh at what people almost said.

I want to be paid as per copyright law <msg>PHP server: CANCEL
perror: carrier lost

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

It bothers me that this bothers you!

I discard more posts than I submit.
This is the kind of post I'd normally would cancel.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I like to write mean messages to Matthew, but never submit them.

"Huh? What are you talking about? I said no such thing! :-X"

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Oh goodness, please invite me to said parties. Also, we have to print them out using a dot-matrix printer for dramatic effect.

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Oh goodness, please invite me to said parties.

I wanna go, too. ;D

You know, that sounds like a good little website. DumbPostsThatWereNeverSubmitted.com

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Daisy-wheels got more rhythm and soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvra1Ddmr1U;t=43

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Oh goodness, please invite me to said parties.

Sure he'll invite you! He just luvs how you use the word "said".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

He just luvs how you use the word "said".

You mean: "He just luvs how you use word "said".

>:(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

wut?

Quote:

said/sed/
Adjective: Used in legal language or humorously to refer to someone or something already mentioned or named.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Matt removed the "the", but I have no idea why.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The word (adjective) said is synonymous with aforementioned. Omitting "the" is grammatically incorrect.

I read the aforementioned post.

I read the said post.

It is omitted for brevity's sake in reports like: "suspect hit said car" but it is still not grammatically correct. In proper dialog, it should be "The suspect hit the said car."

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Actually,

here's a random legal document I googled for:

Quote:

Mediation is confidential per se, and thus it is not strictly necessary to agree among all the parties on the terms and conditions of said duty. However,

Quote:

For purposes of guarantying said rule, the mediator and the parties may also request the execution of written confidential compromise mandatory for all the parties involved in the process.

Quote:

interest of the confident party. The legislation admits any kind of agreement between parties in relation to the liquidation of the damages and in general on the effects of said breach.

(and so on)

It is omitted for brevity's sake in reports like:

You're saying they omit it in documents, but you can't use it in forum posts? And if there was a distinction, are forum posts subject to "dialog" constraints, or to other written documentation constraints?

-----sig:

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

You mean: "He just luvs how you use word "said".

>:(

Quotes, Matthew! Quotes!! >:(

mean_teacher.png

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

Quotes, Matthew! Quotes!! >:(

Programmers abhor such technicalities as the end of a sentence in a literal string.

Rule 1: Matt is always right.

Rule 2: If Matt is wrong, see Rule 1.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You're saying they omit it in documents, but you can't use it in forum posts?

It is grammatically incorrect. Of course language changes over time (and in that aspect anything can be considered "correct"), but why introduce special exceptions or new parts of speech when they don't need to exist? I think you'll find that older documents do not omit the.

The omission adds no extra meaning, so it is stupid. >:(

However, the following phrases do have different meanings:

• I am going to school.

• I am going to the school.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

"the said" just sounds retarded.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

said (sd)
v.
Past tense and past participle of say.
adj. Law
Named or mentioned before; aforementioned: Said party has denied the charges.
Usage Note: The adjective said is used primarily in legal and business writing, where it is equivalent to aforesaid: the said tenant (named in a lease); said property. Outside of these specialized contexts said is usually unnecessary, and the tenant or the property will suffice.[1]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

"the said" just sounds retarded.

Any use of it outside a legal context just sounds pretentious.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Any use of it outside a legal context just sounds pretentious.

So now it's wrong because of stylistic implications of character?

-----sig:

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It sounds pretentious within a legal context as well, but that's what they're aiming for. Make the unwashed masses think they can't understand legal stuff.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

So now it's wrong because of stylistic implications of character?

Eh? Using the said is not wrong, but it is pretentious.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Eh? Using the said is not wrong, but it is pretentious.

Ah.

-----sig:

1   2 

Go to: