Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Since this thread is open to any question or comment, does anyone know a forum where I can post a question regarding a specific game using retroarch? I checked libreto forums and it does not look like the right place.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Merry Christmas!

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Merry Boxing Day. >:(

Append:

I got banned from #allegro on Freenode shortly after sharing this video:

video

I had understood clort to be implying that I was stupid (or that all of us in the channel were stupid) for presumably programming games instead of discussing some unknown topic that he never seemed to explain. ??? I got a troll vibe from him pretty fast, but in hindsight his English appears to be poor so that might be part of it. Anyway, understanding him to be calling me stupid I responded in kind with similar language. He goes on to out himself as an anti-masker. ::) Seemed to be making my point for me. A short while later, and without warning, I was banned. I tracked it down to an admin who disagrees with me politically and must have gotten overwhelmed this Christmas. That or he's an idiot and a jackass.

In any case, do watch the video as it's really, very important. Perhaps things would have gone differently if Sevalecan had. :)

It's worth noting that after our squabble clort and I continued to chat without incident. There was no problem. This ban was an abuse of power, pure and simple. Alas, I don't know if it'll be getting overturned. I don't expect too many moderators or influencers to value me enough to fight for me. It's really a shame that because of antisocial trolls and abusers we need to empower unqualified humans with the power to judge and control others.

Edit: I just realized that the link that clort posted in that conversation was to a video with seemingly racist language (using the N-word in a context that I think it clearly hateful/racist, mind you the video itself was obnoxious so I skimmed through it). I don't know if it's some kind of satire or art, but what I saw didn't look like it. :P

Hmmm, or nevermind? I gather that the person talking was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_A._Davis, a famous programmer who was schitzophreniac. Allegedly he explained away his racial epithets as his way of combating actors of psychological warfare. Arguably still racist, but it sounds likely that his mental health probably impacted his ability to understand and communicate with other humans so perhaps it wasn't stemming from malice. This is the first that I can recall learning of this person (though TempleOS sounds vaguely familiar, as in I've heard of it, but haven't seen or used it).

01:31 <+bambams> I want to popularize a text-based format to input data that is structured for the machine, but also simply human readable. Essentially you give it a hierarchy of typed fields and it generates a template to input them, but in plain text. Then an editor is launched. And the user is expected to edit the form basically. Save and exit and the caller would process the changes and update the store.
01:32 <+bambams> Essentially trust humans to not be complete idiots. It may not be good enough for everyone, but if it's good enough for the people that need it then it's good enough. :D
01:33 <+bambams> This can vastly simplify a sort of form-based input UI. Literally launch the user's preferred editor. (And because the data is still structured that can be a GUI that abstracts the text-based format still).
01:33 <+bambams> Essentially it enables easy access to a GUI that will match your form.
01:35 <+bambams> But yeah, a standard API to build a standard form, is really what I'm talking about at the core. But with emphasis on portability and efficiency. Command-line forms that prompt for the answer before asking the next question are tedious to use. Long command lines are in general. This is another way to build a UI on that.
01:36 <+bambams> But also a way to easily generate a usable, standard UI for your purpose.
01:36 <+bambams> Without wasting countless hours coding and debugging it. :P
01:37 <+Sevalecan> demonicmaniac1, weirdest thing, the analog stick acts "stuck" if I let it return to center... I have the deadzones adjusted to 0 and it's not helping
01:37 <+bambams> But still with full control under the hood if you need to get into it for some reason: e.g., to extend it for your purposes. I need to build some of these ideas...
01:37 <+Sevalecan> but if I keep it up or down, even though that makes no sense since it's only steering left or right, it keeps the input active
01:37 <+Sevalecan> so weird
01:38 <+clort> why smart people are talking about games and not ... is rather sad
01:39 <+bambams> What is ...? I don't watch the news or anything.
01:39 <+clort> it's smart to not watch the 'news'
01:39 <+clort> that's a layer of misdirection
01:39 <+bambams> Is this a troll? Do we have a troll now?
01:40 <+Sevalecan> how does this qualify as trolling?
01:41 <+bambams> How is it smart to ask that question?
01:41 <+Sevalecan> I guess the troll is you
01:42 <+clort> we're on same team, lets be polite :)
01:43 <+clort> but when bad people interfere with my life in unavoidable ways, it is an unavoidable issue
01:44 <+clort> and i suggest that the smart people begin to study some adult topics, like real history
01:45 <+clort> and know this, the first layer you find is misdirection, you have to dig past it
01:47 <+bambams> Yes, it can't be very important if we're talking about this instead.
01:51 <+bambams> I'm well aware the world is fucked up. And by design. And I'm well aware that I cannot change it. :P
01:51 <+bambams> But if you have any suggestions feel free to express them.
01:57 <+bambams> There's actually a tiny if not microscopic chance that I could change the world, but I'd have to risk too much to try it. There would be no coming back and the repercussions of failure would be severe. :P.
01:59 <+bambams> I'm too afraid of being "that guy" on the news that got arrested at the gate and disappeared. :P
01:59 <+bambams> Or at least, the stakes are nowhere near there for me right now.
01:59 <+bambams> I 100% understand other people's stakes are different.
02:01 <+bambams> Which reminds me, a local bartender was blasted for posting disbelief in COVID-19 and anti-masker bullshit. Exclaimed that he and his staff don't believe in masks, and won't wear them.
02:01 <+bambams> It's currently the law that bar staff need to wear a mask and I think also a plastic face shield. :P
02:02 <+bambams> So they got fined like $800. Which is fuck all. But now they're protesting it by hosting a maskless night at the bar or something. :P
02:02 <+clort> last time i went to the pub, about 100 people were there.  only one dumb girl wearing a mask.
02:03 <+bambams> So the one wearing the mask is dumb because the 99 weren't? Do you do all of your logic through group think?
02:03 <+clort> it appears we found someone who believes the corporate media
02:03 <+bambams> Nope, I believe the deathtoll.
02:03 <+bambams> I told you. I don't watch the news.
02:04 <+bambams> I don't have TV. I am not exposed to corporate anything.
02:04 <+clort> then can you tell me how this death toll is different from previous death tolls?
02:04 <+bambams> (And I'm conscious of it when I am)
02:04 <+bambams> It's a lot bigger faster.
02:05 <+bambams> And it's symptoms are much more severe. It can and is crippling hospital capacities.
02:05 <+bambams> Which means you can require emergency service, and can be told it's unavailable.
02:05 <+bambams> They will leave you in the hall to die.
02:05 <+clort> if the nurses are told to say home the capacities are reduced
02:05 <+clort> stay
02:06 <+bambams> That would be stupid, considering the nurses administer 99% of the care to the patient.
02:06 <+clort> can you tell me how this death toll is different from previous death tolls?
02:06 <+bambams> Is this a fucking bot?
02:07 <+clort> ok. you can not
02:13 -!- mode/#allegro [+v kazzmir] by ChanServ
02:18 <+clort> http://0x0.st/iF4Z.webm  terry davis (nsfc language)
02:20 <+SiegeLord> RIP Terry
02:23 <+Sevalecan> wish this emulator would let me select a different analog stick sensitivity for vertical vs horizontal on this stick
02:24 <+Sevalecan> need full travel for entering reverse in this stupid game
02:24 <+Sevalecan> but otherwise, it's too damn twitchy
02:24 <+Sevalecan> but if I select a bigger steering wheel, all it is is a fucking input phase delay
02:24 <+Sevalecan> like dude, it does NOT help me to put in a integrator into the steering
02:25 <+clort> music by clort
02:31 <+bambams> Holy fuck. Halleluiah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AUdaH-EPM
02:31 <+alledos> Why everything you know about autism is wrong | Jac den Houting | TEDxMacquarieUniversity
02:31 <+bambams> Seriously important video. Watch it.
02:31 <+bambams> Everyone.
02:31 <+bambams> Everybody needs to understand this. For real.
02:33 <+bambams> This researcher said that in Australia something like 93% of funding goes to trying to make autistic people conform better to norms. And only about 7% of funding for research on autism was for researching ways to help autistic people out (i.e., caring for us).
02:34 <+bambams> So much for diversity... Christ. Literally, there is nothing wrong with me. I'm awesome. But I am disabled by the world that I exist in.
02:35 <+bambams> What's also sad: instead of researching how to get the most out of autistic people by helping them thrive the research is all based on forcing them to fit into a world that they will never fit into (i.e., the impossible). :P
02:36 <+bambams> I think that this is evidence of humanity's limitations. Maybe we're getting close. :)
02:36 <+bambams> We could theoretically do much more, but it requires the cooperation of too many stupid people.
02:36 <+clort> don't be angry with me bambams. we're on the same team
02:37 <+clort> but if you've been fed false information, you will come to wrong conclusions
02:37 <+bambams> As will you. Or anyone else.
02:38 <+clort> yes, so double check the information. i don't want to 'win' any argument here
02:38 <+bambams> I typically try to get my information from scientists, indirectly because directly is often hard for me, but still credible sources.
02:39 <+clort> well there is a novelty in covid statistics
02:39 <+bambams> It's really not hard to Google this stuff and find the truth. If you're going to be a conspiracy nut and disbelieve everything inconvenient to you then so be it, but don't expect to be followed.
02:39 <+clort> it has not occurred before
02:39 <+clort> cdc guidelines have been revised
02:39 <+clort> and page-2 'comorbidities' are now assigned to the 'death toll'
02:40 <+clort> this means, in practice, that a cancer or car accident victim is added to the death toll
02:40 <+clort> if a pcr swab (unknown cycles) yielded a positive
02:40 <+bambams> None, of that, matters. It's really not about the death toll. It's about the rate of spread, and the continued vulnerabililty (reinfection), and that a sufficient number of people have complications that require hospital treatment which overloads our health care systems..
02:41 <+clort> that hasn't been the case
02:41 <+bambams> Yes. Yes it has. Hospitals in Northern Michigan are full. They cannot accept any new patients. Even big city hospitals that normally take overflows. All full.
02:41 <+clort> and it does matter what the reported 'death toll' is
02:42 <+clort> you cited it yourself
02:42 <+bambams> If you have a car accident there and require surgury good luck to you.
02:42 <+bambams> Certainly. It matters how many people die. Of course.
02:42 <+bambams> The problem with hospitals getting full is that more people will die. Of course.
02:43 <+bambams> Does it matter if you died of COVID-19 or if you died in the hall waiting for care because the hospital was full of COVID-19 patients?
02:43 <+bambams> You're dead either way.
02:44 <+bambams> The US has been once again the laughing stock of the entire planet.
02:44 <+bambams> Cocky in their arrogance.
02:45 <+bambams> Conservatives in general have been coming out of the woodwork to outwardly display just how stupid they are. :P
02:46 <+clort> if you're pushing a line that is the hard-sell of the corporate media, it is you who is in need of some introspection, bambams
02:46 <+bambams> Part of catering the world to neurodiversity might want to include revoking the vote from people deemed too stupid to scrutinize an influential idea.
03:02 -!- mode/#allegro [+o Sevalecan] by ChanServ
03:03 -!- mode/#allegro [+v amarillion] by ChanServ
03:03 -!- mode/#allegro [+m] by Sevalecan
03:03 <@Sevalecan> hmm
03:03 -!- mode/#allegro [-m] by ChanServ
03:03 <@Sevalecan> who set mlock
03:03 -!- mode/#allegro [+m] by ChanServ
03:03 -!- mode/#allegro [-o Sevalecan] by ChanServ
03:07 -!- KittyCat [~kitty@allegro/developer/KittyCat] has quit [Quit: Konversation terminated!]
03:09 -!- mode/#allegro [+v KittyCat] by ChanServ
03:13 <+SiegeLord> ? tins
03:13 <+alledos> TINS ends in 5 days and 15 hours.
03:15 <+SiegeLord> ? mlock
03:15 <+alledos> https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/mlock.2.html - mlock(2) - Linux manual page
03:16 <+SiegeLord> Gosh, this TINS is long
03:16 <+SiegeLord> I feel like I've been TINSing all December
03:17 <+Sevalecan> SiegeLord, mode lock :P
03:17 -!- mode/#allegro [-m] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv BAF Solak klys Tigge] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv bambot bambams antto rmbeer] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv archdark GreaseMonkey SimonNa tdammers] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv Rondom Tharro Abi12 Modulo5k] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv koro demonicmaniac1 dos1 dwi] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv oldsnakey___ NickG365 queip shmibs] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv Sausage lilmike gusnan kazzmir-work] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv chopchop1 Trezker demonicmaniac3 Funklord] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv connormgs clort PTapioK pinchy] by ChanServ
03:18 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvvv alphis SiegeLord ddustin amarillion] by ChanServ
03:18 <+Sevalecan> wow that was spammy
03:21 < SiegeLord> Wut
03:24 -!- mode/#allegro [+o Sevalecan] by ChanServ
03:24 -!- mode/#allegro [-vvv KittyCat Sevalecan Tomasu] by Sevalecan
03:24 -!- mode/#allegro [-v elias] by Sevalecan
03:25 <@Sevalecan> channel moderation and autovoice was pointless
03:25 <@Sevalecan> :P
03:26 -!- mode/#allegro [-o Sevalecan] by Sevalecan
03:26 < Sevalecan> if you actually wanted to quiet anyone, it wouldn't work, and you can't add someone to an autodevoice list to counteract the everyone-autovoice pattern
03:26 < Sevalecan> afaik
03:27 < KittyCat> that's nice. konversation decided to change the log path with the latest update I just did
03:27 < Sevalecan> KittyCat, to /dev/null?
03:27 < KittyCat> to ~/.local/share/konversation/logs
03:28 < KittyCat> I had previously configured it to use ~/logs
03:28 < Sevalecan> do you really want logs of all the dumb shit I say on a day to day basis?
03:28 < KittyCat> well, freenode_#allegro.log was 110MB. I suppose it could do with a trim
03:30 < KittyCat> [Monday, October 14, 2013] [01:54:42 AM]  is the top entry in it
03:30 < Sevalecan> I'm dumb!
03:30 < Sevalecan> holy shit
03:30 < Sevalecan> I used to have logs going way back
03:30 < Sevalecan> but kept losing them
03:30 -!- mode/#allegro [+b *!*@unaffiliated/bamccaig] by ChanServ
03:30 -!- bambams was kicked from #allegro by ChanServ [User is banned from this channel]
--- Log closed Sat Dec 26 03:30:45 2020

Append:

Yikes, look at how much alcohol impacts my [good!] month (and sleep!).

{"name":"UoDTBWL.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/0\/80be364f9e7099c13e4a56e97a982009.jpg","w":3040,"h":2112,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/0\/80be364f9e7099c13e4a56e97a982009"}UoDTBWL.jpg

Legend:

B - I remembered to take my daily SSRI anti-depressant (and marked it on the calendar[1] :)).

[0-9]+ - Optional beer/alcoholic unit count after B.

-AN-> - All nighters this week.

(full size?)

Prior to slipping due to social scenarios involving alcohol, I was nearly a month sober again (smoking weed every day though). It would appear that I cannot seem to handle alcohol at all anymore. Even small amounts appear to mess me up. Which really sucks because I really enjoy controlled-amounts of alcohol.

That said, I must say this year has taught me that waking up after drinking (if you ever got to bed...) sucks more than waking up after smoking cannabis. :) At least, for me, at this point in time and space. Mind you, prior to this year, and therefore a similar timeline as cannabis use began, I never had any issues this severe with anything. I literally slept like a baby, to the resentment of others. Now I'm lucky if I can sleep at all. :o

I do protest to the smoke. Which is why I had vaped nearly exclusively for the first 2 years. The trap that very quickly transitioned me to smoking regularly was that I had bought a preroll[2] recently partly for a change in delivery and the alternative portability/versatility[3]. That, and the way cannabis affects you varies by delivery method. And since it's still not well understood what all of the many ways cannabis influences our bodies and minds are and why, we each need to experiment a little bit to find what works best for us for what purpose.

The orinary dynamics are that vaping cannabis hits harder gram-for-gram than smoking does. Though it's not well understood how or why. In practice, I'd say it varies greatly. My experience has been that cannabis tolerance builds almost instantly. It realistically has no lethal dose. You can't really kill yourself with it. Physically smoking is bad for you, and vaping suggests similar if snigificantly fewer risks, but the risks are considered by some to be a worthwhile tradeoff. The physical risks are generally minimal (though excessive smoking would certainly risk accelerated lung damage that may become debilitating early in your lifetime). The mental risks are significant, but only for a fraction of the population (at any given time; potentially changing with age and health). For most people it's a harmless, effective medicine and/or recreation.

I suppose that I was expecting the joint to be less powerful (I was a little overconfident). In fairness, I think that the joint was significantly stronger than the strain I had been using prior too. Regardless of the reason, I noted that between 1/7 and 1/5 of this joint had me higher than I had been in months. Possibly higher than I had ever been before. That potency lasted all week, and I'd smoke just a sliver and get a wonderful high. It wasn't meant to be though. My tolerance surpassed it (I might have even made a mistake because of being high, like smoking a significant amount by forgetting that I was already high; though I may be paranoid-imagining that, heh... :-*).

Anyway, after a week without a joint I started craving one. And that's when I remmbered rolling machines. I had stumbled across them by the YouTube algorithm suggesting a video to me. I tried to roll joints by hand, but my hands are too shaky and my fingers are too inflexible. :P The machine is still manually operated, but essentially it holds the joint near perfectly for you while you wrap it. It empowers people like me with shaky hands to roll joints! We had an Amazon giftcard aging and forgotten and decided to spend it. My wife asked what I wanted for cheap from Amazon and I remembered these machines.. At that moment, I had a rare burst of clarity, and remembered the rolling machines and that I was craving more joints (but prerolls are more expensive than flower buds). She agreed and it was ordered.

The kit contains a small tray, a rolling machine, some plastic envelopes designed to conceal the smell of cannabis (I generally don't have to), and a few month supply of papers and tips. Since receiving it my tolerance instantly went up again. I went outside to smoke my first joint in a week, expecting a major high like I had had before, but it wasn't working. I smoked the whole joint and got the high I was looking for. From there and since my usage has steadily increased from the initial 0.5 grams of one of my joints per 24 hour cycle to potentially 2 grams in that same cycle within a week or so. :P

Boring story carefully written long, smoking is bad, but it delivers a larger hit at a smaller (physical and mental effort) cost than handheld vaporizers do. At least, the ones vaporizing flower buds that I have. I haven't dabbled in ... dab rigs and shatter yet, but it seems I'm heading that way (I'm already open to it, but only from government sources in my own privacy). I just hope there's some limit where once reached you are comfortably high. Damn.

If you drill down though the primary permanent side effects for smoking lots of cannabis (within your tolerance) are:

• Lung cancer risk (and health in general).

• Budget/cost.

The first is somewhat mitigated by vaporizing instead of smoking, but there seems to be a gap in the middle of the vape market. I can get a flimsy handheld flower vaporizer for about $70, a sturdy one with design flaws for $140, and a well made, brand name, long lasting, warrantied, well designed, top of the line handheld flower vaporizer for about ~$230. My handheld vapes each appear to hold about 0.2 grams (compared to the 0.6 grams of a 1 1/4 size joint). There appears to be a gap in the market for portable/handheld vaporizers that can handle larger quantities of flower. Granted, vaporizers do seem to have a stronger effect, but not strong enough to reduce consumption over time. There are larger vapes, but the ones I know of are desktop models only (meaning not portable/compact/pocket compatible), and they are significantly more expensive ($600+).

I also find that changing methods has an even stronger effect (e.g., smoking after not smoking for a long while can be more effective than vaping again, though probably vaping after not vaping for a long while is even more effective than switching to smoking).

The second can theoretically be mitigated by growing your own flower. But there's a catch. This is only really accessible to people with money and/or doers that are willing to risk it and succeed. The first can be mitigated by saving money or earning extra, but both of those options are hard to do (I'm salary, and mentally exhausted after work :)).

These are both long term goals, however. Buying a "volcano vape" (or similar), which is a desktop vaporizer that is on another level apparently, and growing my own cannabis.

It's going to take some luck or discipline to acquire the capital to invest that much in a cannabis consuming device. And growing my own is going to also require a significant investment as well as a significant time investment for learning and the potential of a total loss.

References

1. Refer to pill box in cupboard. >:(
  2. Professionally rolled joint or cigarette filled with ground cannabis.
  3. Use like a cigarette, anywhere smoking is safe/permitted.
Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Hey guys, Merry Christmas! Hope you all had a wonderful time!

Hope next year brings better times for everyone.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

We had a white Christmas (well boxing day) which sounds nice except Christmas is the middle of summer here.

And it wasn't snow, it was hail and tons of it. Sadly, one of the main sources of economy in the area is orchards, and the hail wiped out most people's crops.

My work got pretty trashed as we have a flat roof which isn't designed to take the weight of that much ice and gave way in a few places which led to multiple rivers running through the shop. Our main router which was in the electrical cupboard also got fried, so we couldn't communicate with the pumps or use EFTPOS for the rest of the day.

But on a positive note, Christmas Day itself was ok. I did work for 10 hours but customers were nicer than usual, and our boss came in in the middle of the afternoon with lots of yummy food for us.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

var worstYear = 2020;
worstYear++;
var happy = new Year(worstYear);
printf("Holly shit we made it to %d", happy.value);

>:(

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

jmasterx x-D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm still autistic and rightfully concerned about the future. >:( Had the luxury of joining a surprise-illegal, overcrowded, mixed groups family dinner today. You know, where everyone enthusiastically joins in criticizing other people breaking COVID-19 rules, shaking their heads at the stupidity of other people, as we all are breaking the rules. :P

People are stupid. On the plus side, maybe this will help to thin their herds. :P I don't think that 2021 is going to be significantly better. COVID-19 is still going to be a significant threat. Especially in the United Stupids of America, where half of the population will probably refuse the vaccine and continue to refuse to wear masks or distance themselves. :P And there are likely going to be shortages of the vaccine all year due to production limits and storage limits, so that most people won't even be vaccinated yet by 2022, even in the elite world. Let alone poorer nations.

And a mutating virus is concerning too because it could mean the vaccine we're producing is already going to be obsolete. Like a flu that mutates faster than we can produce a new vaccine. :P Speaking of which, I got the flu shot last year, and I have nothing ill to report (unless you want to twist the tips up on your tin foil hat and suspect that the flu shot made me autistic and then also went back in time and made me autistic then too :P). I don't really remember getting very sick since, but my memory is shit so that's not very reliable. In any case, I intend to get it again and again every year until I die. And if the COVID-19 vaccine becomes a periodic thing I'll probably subscribe onto that too. Bring on the superpowers. :D

Though I didn't particularly mind 2020. It was actually a pretty good year for me. It had its bumps, but I was fortunate to land back on my feet mostly. I also discovered that I may be autistic, which is huge to even just have a word to describe why I'm so different. :P I went 32 years without a word so I have had to get creative at times. :P

Also until about May I'm still going to say 2020 when tasked with identifying the year.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Since the virus is mutating every year, it should be called COVID-20, and now COVID-21. :-/

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

New jazz-inspired song. I really like this one! I think it's some of the best songwriting, arranging and singing I've ever done.

video

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

>And a mutating virus is concerning too because it could mean the vaccine we're producing is already going to be obsolete.

Only CNN viewers and other "we keep you in the dark"/"you don't need to think" subscribers didn't realize that from the start. Viruses mutate. Fast. There's a reason there's a new flu vaccine every year and even then it doesn't always work.

The UK strain is similar enough to COVID-19 to likely be affected by the same vaccines. The South African strain (yeah, there's two new strains already), is believed to not be covered.

Welcome to Virus 101. Something no politician, nor talking head "scientist" on TV bothered to tell you.

Just like they never, at any point, told you the key to fighting COVID-19 is get sunlight, exercise, and eat healthy and take a multi-vitamin. Even though the majority of terrible cases had chronically low vitamin levels. Because making people feel like they have individual control instead of a theater of fear, means you're less likely to just accept insane things like a CARES Act that lets millionaires write off race horses on their taxes, because, you know, that helps... millions of people who own race horses.

But hey, Americans got $600. Which won't even cover a month of rent. So now we can, per the talking heads at MSNBC, "sigh a breathe of relief"

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

$600 might not be much, but for some it's food on the table.

I won't see any of it since both my wife and I have decent jobs.

Part of me wants to give them more. The other part says, "Where is this money coming from?"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The same place money always comes from. We made it up. ???

If you actually tax corporations and businesses think how many services you could afford?! You might even join us in the first world some day. :)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

$600 is a slap to the face. It'll cover a single small medical bill / copay for a doctors visit. Meanwhile, the worlds richest added one trillion to their wealth this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/01/01/bezos-musk-wealth-pandemic/

What the hell happened to liberals? When did they go from "wal mart is killing mom-and-pop stores and mainstreet is dying" to "okay, whatever you want, daddy amazon."

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

What the hell happened to liberals? When did they go from "wal mart is killing mom-and-pop stores and mainstreet is dying" to "okay, whatever you want, daddy amazon."

They're to busy with genders, skin colors and other identity stuff. You know, "divide and rule".

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

$600 is a slap to the face. It'll cover a single small medical bill / copay for a doctors visit. Meanwhile, the worlds richest added one trillion to their wealth this year."

Mitch McConnell recently argued against raising the stimulus to $2,000 saying the money would go to Democratic friends who don't need it and it would increase the deficit. I'd like to know where this concern was when the TCJA act was passed.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I was wondering where you were BamBam. We are here.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

In a laughable coup attempt implicitly endorsed by the President himself, they accidentally either saved or destroyed the Republican party at the expense of giving Democrats a slim control for the next two years. In the very least, I think Trump's political career is over. The exact fallout will depend on how the current Republican leaders deal with it.

If they are smart, I think they should go along with a second impeachment and keep him from running again. If he runs again in 2024 without Republican support, they are of course screwed big time in the general election. But maybe it could all backfire on them, I don't know. And if they let him run again as a Republican in 2024, then God save us all, he might just win a second term.

Trump's defiant speech (during active debate on that morning) claiming Pence would overturn the election shows how mentally unfit he is to be President. Pence had told him in an hours long meeting (why does it take that long?) that he couldn't legally do what Trump wanted him to do and he wouldn't do it. Trump knew that but couldn't resist one last rally. One last crowd cheering him on to be the next President. Had the violence not broken out, I promise you he would have been still claiming up until the 20th that he was one step away from overturning the results.

But honestly, I don't think Trump craves power like the career politicians do. He just craves attention. So give him another realty TV show where people can bow down to him, but please, keep him away from government.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I'm not sure anyone would give him another show. He will just rant and rave about the "stolen election" until he decides to pull another coup. The FCC should pull the plug on that. As to his future with the Republican Party, the word "Sedition" has been put on the table. They should not want to be associated with that. He could run under his own party, but that would further splinter the Republican Party and ensure a win for the Democrats. Nancy Pelosi is screaming "Impeachment!" so loud BamBam checked in to complain about the noise. Mr. Biden has already said he would not pardon Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence will not invoke the 25th Amendment probably because he does not want to decide whether or not to pardon Mr. Trump. As to his mental stability, maybe he is setting the foundation for his defense in the bank and tax fraud charges he will face in New York.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The only thing left that Trump can legally do that people would listen to (because they have to) is issue pardons. Trump may very well issue pardons on everybody who stormed the capitol. That's on Pence. That's about the worst thing I think Trump could do at this point. Anything that requires somebody else to do something would result in them not listening. Even issuing a pardon--how would Trump even string together the words required to do it? Tweeting it in all caps with spelling mistakes doesn't make it legal.

He can pardon himself, but would he really do that? That would have to come with some admission that he quite possibly may have done something wrong--although obviously he'd say he was doing it because he knows he'll be framed.

So really I think invoking the 25th at this point is just nonsense. I think impeachment again would be good, if only to get Republicans on record on whether they think Trump should be allowed to run in their party again. But who cares if it's done before or after the 20th.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

In other news...:o

I started reading his tweets when I heard Twitter was doing fact checks. He had 91.1 million followers when I started. Then I noticed he was losing followers. He had 88.7m when they kicked him off. I believe he was down to 88.6m a week or two ago, so people were coming back. That is scary.

Go to: