Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I wanted to reply to a thread with zero replies, but it was locked.
Ironically, the thread complaining about thread locks was also locked, so I couldn't add my complaint there.

Could it be that threads are locked too quickly? Maybe it was a useful feature when allegro.cc was very active, but nowadays the pace is slower, and thread locking sometimes makes it impossible to reply.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I also I think they are locked too quickly.

-----------

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I second. Edit: or third.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It's like you said, the post density here is much much smaller than it used to be and the time limit should be extended (or eliminated). There are so few people here now, we don't really have to worry about the problems that stem from re-sending old posts to the top.

I hope one day things get more popular again. I miss helping new people! Lots of us do--it shows whenever someone new has a question we all jump in as fast as we can.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

(Waiting for thread to lock, so I don't have to reply.)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

(Waiting for thread to lock, so I don't have to reply.)

Wish I could "like" that.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

If your thread locks too soon, double check your mutex.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

JMasterx said:

Try thinking of old baseball scores. I think threads should be unlocked if new information is found.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

jmasterx said:

This was more clever than it was appreciated for :)

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

This was more clever than it was appreciated for

Some of us appreciate silently.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I'm gonna sem_post a message to allow the thread to run for some more time.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I was going to say that if I

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

This calls for a lock-free implementation.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

'm trying to post and it gets locked, I'm going to be sad.

-----sig:

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yea... this place not be active enough to have the auto lock so quick.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

thread.notify();

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm saddened that nobody noticed my joke.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I didn't understand it at first. :-/ I suppose you were posting early just in case the thread was locked before you finished, but then what's the point if your partial message doesn't make any sense to anyone?! >:(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

My post didn't have a mutex lock, so it ended up split in half by another process. :-/ ;D

-----sig:

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

This thread is awesome. I want to save it for all posterity, but first I need to take a dump.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Ash. Makes more sense with the second post. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

{"name":"2322372.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/4\/74f174c232cad8894058b92061f84b55.jpg","w":500,"h":323,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/4\/74f174c232cad8894058b92061f84b55"}2322372.jpg >:(

Runnable task1 = new Runnable(){

@Override
    public void run(){
        System.out.println("If your thread locks too soon, double check your mutex.");
    }
};

Thread thread1 = new Thread(task1);
thread1.start();

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

new Thread(() -> { System.out.println("Java added lambdas now you know..."); }).start();

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

lambdas are so in right now.

;)

--

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

lambdas are so in right now.

{"name":"609793","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/1\/51f8bb92021b66380d4639cd77a19a85.jpg","w":1024,"h":576,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/1\/51f8bb92021b66380d4639cd77a19a85"}609793

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Go to: