Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Diagnosing Autism in adults can be difficult, and it's still rare enough that many doctors haven't come across it and don't recognize it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

LennyLen said:

Diagnosing Autism in adults can be difficult, and it's still rare enough that many doctors haven't come across it and don't recognize it.

If you go to an actual phd psychiatrist who can't diagnose autism, he's a retard.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The problem with diagnosing an adult with autism is that the adult has passed under the radar for 20 (or 30) years already. Likely the signs aren't completely obvious. And autism presents itself in various ways depending on the person. It's not always the same. An adult living with it would have found ways to cope, and to try to fit in the best way they can. Even just reading the potential signs I can say that many of them do not apply to me, though they might have at some point in my life. I've managed to overcome some of my shortcomings. For example, I have a wife that likes to organize things. Initially when she moved my stuff around I would get upset, but I learned to tolerate it because she insisted and one thing won out over the other. There are no standards to diagnose it in adults yet according to healthline, and it's a somewhat new concept so not all practitioners are familiar with it.

My new Fitbit arrived yesterday so I got my first night of sleep data. I went to bed shortly after posting the Planet of the Humans thread around 10:30 PM so I was still pretty alert. According to my Fitbit I fell asleep around 11 PM and slept until 6:15 AM. I'd say that's a little generous because at that time I got out of bed to take the dog outside for a wiz and I had already been tossing and turning unable to fall back asleep, but I'll take it. I was drinking lots of water before bed so there's a chance that woke me up. The more important measures are deep (~46 mins) and REM sleep (~53 mins). It's pretty pathetic overall, but it's something. It's also approximately what I would normally achieve after a night of drinking so in that sense it's consistent (though I've been sober for days). I'll aim to improve upon it over time.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Got the NPC ship to chase you. It took literally one line of code (to calculate the direction between you & the NPC ship) and everything else was plug'n'play with the player ship control code, woo.

{"name":"m8WVoVS.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/074879e4574bc07d011fe4760a38b202.gif","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/074879e4574bc07d011fe4760a38b202"}m8WVoVS.gif

(It's a GIF, click to enlarge & view).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

The problem with diagnosing an adult with autism is that the adult has passed under the radar for 20 (or 30) years already. Likely the signs aren't completely obvious. And autism presents itself in various ways depending on the person. It's not always the same. An adult living with it would have found ways to cope, and to try to fit in the best way they can. Even just reading the potential signs I can say that many of them do not apply to me, though they might have at some point in my life. I've managed to overcome some of my shortcomings. For example, I have a wife that likes to organize things. Initially when she moved my stuff around I would get upset, but I learned to tolerate it because she insisted and one thing won out over the other. There are no standards to diagnose it in adults yet according to healthline, and it's a somewhat new concept so not all practitioners are familiar with it.

As well as that, many, if not most, undiagnosed adults also end up with anxiety/ depression/substance abuse, which masks the autism.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Nice and good job, can you make a chain of boats ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

> Nice and good job, can you make a chain of boats ?

Not yet, I don't plan on there being more than 3 boats at once (including your boat).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's a new day with new sleep data. Last night my Fitbit claims that I managed to sleep for 8 hours and 17 minutes! Some of that may be wrong, but what's most promising is the REM sleep: 1 hour and 36 minutes. I still managed 55 minutes of deep sleep too.

That said, we'll see if I can reproduce it tonight. My wife made a special coffee drink today and I had some so I'm hoping the caffeine doesn't induce insomnia. I poured half of it out to avoid getting too much (I was starting to get a buzz). Tomorrow she's going to make it again, but with decaffeinated coffee. I doubt it'll taste as good, but bitter I can handle.

It also helped that I had a phone call with the client last night around 5 PM and unlike my bosses he was much more relaxed about timelines, focused more on getting things done right instead of fast. It was refreshing. We'll see how that plays out though as the project continues... I'm pretty close to finalizing the next step, but there are months and months worth of iterations to go so we'll have to see if we can get to a point where it's routine and smooth or if each iteration will have bumps.

Today has been fun following up on the talking points of the call too. I hoped to be further than this at this point, but so far I haven't heard from anybody so hopefully that means pressure is off in terms of time and I'm free to take the time needed to get it right.. But we'll see.

LennyLen said:

As well as that, many, if not most, undiagnosed adults also end up with anxiety/ depression/substance abuse, which masks the autism.

Valid point. With regard to all 3 I actually feel pretty good today. My depression and anxiety appear to be under control (knock on wood), and as far as substance abuse I'm clean and not really craving anything. Throughout the day and each evening I have been drinking lots of water instead.

My wife has been very supportive and understanding through this. One of the ways that has manifested is that she has let me take control of the TV before bed, and has been watching Star Trek: TNG reruns with me on Netflix. For years I've found that a good way to wind down at the end of the night. What's exciting is that I think she's actually enjoying it and developing an interest in Star Trek!

Then around 10 or 11 I try to go to bed each night, even if I'm not really ready. And it has been working. It seems like I'm gradually getting my body's sleep cycle back on track. I just hope things continue this way.

My only concern is that the antidepressant has negative interactions with plenty of drugs, including alcohol and cannabis, and once you've taken it for a few weeks it is in your system for months. I'm not sure exactly what that implies going forward. Last night I was wheezing when I went to bed so I thought I might take an asthma inhaler, but I Googled for interactions and it looked alarming so I avoided it. Fortunately, I think I can have Tylenol so there's that. I actually started to experience light sensitivity right before bed last night and took an extra strength Tylenol for a developing headache. I wonder if that had something to do with how well I slept.

I'd like to get to a point where I'd be able to have a beer after work while I barbecue or vape some cannabis to unwind on the weekend, but it seems for as long as I'm medicated and even for months afterward I'll have to remain clean. Alcohol might bring back the depression, which just isn't worth it, and cannabis apparently can cause confusion which I can't afford while I'm being crunched at work.

All in all though I'm feeling fantastic right now and things are starting to look up again.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

While your sleep will hopefully continue to improve, the Liar Tweets Tonight:

video

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

It's that time of year again—Piccolo Day! :D

{"name":"latest","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/c\/6c12fea6a0947aedcd51b520b2108eb7.jpg","w":500,"h":376,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/c\/6c12fea6a0947aedcd51b520b2108eb7"}latest

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

@bambam:
About your sleep, have you ruled out the simpler causes pertaining to the body like the muscles of your neck and shoulders having become tense, lack of physical exercise etc.?

Edit: Posting to this thread is much faster than it used to be for me.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm not really sure how to rule out tense muscles. I'm an anxious person so I'm almost always tense. Alcohol and cannabis surely used to help me to relax in that sense, but they are not currently an option.

As a rule though I sleep pretty good depending on how anxious I am. The only thing that really has me seriously worried is work. I've been having work-related dreams lately, which is never a good sign. That said, I don't think they've quite been nightmares either so it could be worse. It does suck though to spend any more [virtual] time at work than needed, but it's also probably necessary for my psyche to process the stress.

I've been sleeping OK. Last week continued to be good. I got 8 hours and 12 minutes on Wednesday night, 7 hours and 9 minutes on Thursday night, and 10 hours and 4 minutes on Friday night (though it was fragmented because I had to get up and take the dog out around 6 AM). Saturday night I only got 6 hours, but Sunday night I got 7 hours and 34 minutes. Last night I only got 6 hours and 39 minutes, despite being in bed from about 10:30 PM to 8:55 AM.

I've been cheating a little bit. As I might have already confessed, my wife foolishly ordered some "cider" wine bottles from a local Strawberry farm a few weeks ago, and when they weren't what she expected she also went out and bought 4 tallboy cans of cider. She likes Somersby cider, but couldn't find it, and bought a bunch of local ciders instead hoping to find an alcohol beverage that she could drink. She didn't really like any of them though and so it was all left in the fridge for me... The cans were all opened because she tasted each one..

I drank them all, but only one drink per day while I cooked supper (well, the cans were like 7% and tall so maybe those count as 1.5 or 2 each). Once I had drank the 3 cans (the 4th was so gross I wasn't even willing to drink it and dumped it) I eventually continued on the cider wine bottles, but still only having one glass per day. I figured doctors claim that one drink per day is considered good for your health, and probably not enough to exacerbate my depression. So far so good. I haven't experienced severe depression in over a week. I have noticed that my anxiety seems to be getting worse again, but it hasn't been unbearable.

I'm still falling asleep, but I haven't been staying asleep all night for the past few nights. I've been taking 500 mg of Tylenol right before bed, in part to help with light sensitivity, in part to prevent physical pain from waking me up, and in part abusing it as a sleep aid. Now I've started waking up at 3 or 4 AM and I've been taking an additional 500 mg to go back to sleep (not sure if it works, but even as a placebo it makes me feel better). There should be no interactions with my medication, and up to 3000 mg per day appears to be "completely safe" according to the Web (though I've been only taking 500 or 1000 max thus far). (Originally I thought that each tablet was 1000 mg, but it's only 500 mg)

There were a couple of days where I got mildly stoned too shortly before bed. It didn't seem to help me sleep though so I haven't been making it a habit. And though my tolerance seems to have backed off somewhat, I'm still not getting stoned like I used to when I a new to it (I used to sort of get green, binocular vision, which was neat). I didn't really enjoy it the last time I got stoned. I just didn't feel right, and it wasn't very fun. Albeit, I'm not really able to have "fun" with drugs right now so it might be all in my head (heh).

Anyway, I think that I'm becoming concerned about work timelines again and that's exacerbating my anxiety. I hope to be in good shape to actually finalize a step of the project I'm working on today though so hopefully that will ease my anxiety again. Fortunately, I have a long weekend coming up too because next Monday is a statutory holiday in Ontario. I've also been given permission to book some vacation time despite the deadline so I might book some additional time off in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, I probably can't book a full week off, but at least I can get some additional long weekends. I'm not ready to do that though until I've demonstrated a potential pace of completing these steps.

P.S. Posting to the thread should be pretty fast. It's mostly the automatic quoting mechanism that was super slow for me, and that's because it has to search through the entire thread to match content which took a long time with such a large thread. Though you would think it could search from the bottom to the top and likely find a match much faster. Explicitly quoting somebody should be almost instant though because it doesn't need to do the search. I think in another thread ML said that the search indexing job hasn't been run in years though so if it relies on that it might explain why it's super slow.

I have experienced hiccups posting without quotes, but I think that is due to the site being "asleep" (i.e., the cloud service taking an inactive site down until a new request is made).

Of course, it's possible that ML has optimized something to make it faster (perhaps he executed the search indexing job finally), but I'm not going to hold my breath on that. :D

Edit: Revised the Tylenol dosage information.

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Wait, this thread has been without posts for far too long. Bumping.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

So assuming I don't screw up I'm on track to a leadership role in my job Soon (tm) :) Timeline is a bit unknown since some other stuff needs to be solved first.

I also did the math and could buy a house in two years. ??? New goal acquired.

Also I've been on hormones six months Friday, yay. Biggest differences are: 1. acne vanished 2. body hair grows super slow 3. dandruff's gone. 4. minor changes in face shape 5. bewbs. ;D 10/10 would recommend.

Life's pretty good compared to say, 4-5 years ago. 8-)

---
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Good catch, Rodolfo! :o

Erin, I find the acne and dandruff things quite fascinating. Are you saying that those changes were purely a difference in hormones, or have you also been using creams and lotions and things that women typically use that men often don't?

I still get routine acne in my 30's, and I've had back-acne since I hit puberty. I also have horrible dandruff, albeit, I attribute that in part to my lack of hydration from normally not drinking water and drinking lots of alcohol and other things that dehydrate the body. I have been drinking a lot more water lately, but it hasn't been long enough to see a noticeable change. I'll feel somewhat vindicated if these problems are partially attributed to hormones though. :D

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Nope, literally just hormones. I couldn't ever get my acne under control, now I don't have any. It's amazing. :o

Testosterone is bad for your skin. :P

---
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

He'd only have to take an anti-androgen to lower testosterone which wouldn't have an effect on breast growth. Spiralactone (the one I'm on) is used to treat severe acne I think.

Oh and my alcohol tolerance has free-falled since hormones, so I've stopped drinking. Not too big of a deal.

---
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If I'm going to suffer without testosterone I might as well get the boobies. :-*

My alcohol tolerance has gone to shit since I've started these antidepressants[1] (and cut way back on alcohol). Now one beer is enough to get me drunk again, and two beers is enough to get me wrecked. :P I like it that way. I occasionally have a 3rd if I'm feeling brave/stressed, but by then I'm done and switch back to water. It is still my intention to stop drinking for a while, but I was sabotaged by my loving wife and I'm back to having at least one beer every day now. :-/ Water gets old after a while.

Append:

My wife has become obsessed with Tik Tok, the social media app thingy.

She saw this thing where a guy claims he tapped a beer bottle with a butter knife 4 times and then cut up at the cap and it popped off smoothly. She essentially dared me to do it the next time I open a beer. Well, it was only noon, but challenge accepted. I doubted that it would work, and I stand by that assertion. Nevertheless, I did manage to open the bottle.

{"name":"njmF56I.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/37526395b5b1a8a1526fb31742612c16.jpg","w":3024,"h":4032,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/37526395b5b1a8a1526fb31742612c16"}njmF56I.jpg
{"name":"AFnHuO2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/a\/ca694f254ca26f0a74407005649c4d51.jpg","w":3024,"h":4032,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/a\/ca694f254ca26f0a74407005649c4d51"}AFnHuO2.jpg

It took about 8 or 12 taps, and 3 cuts, and I sort of broke the glass. But the beer didn't explode, and as far as I tell there were no glass shards in the beer or anywhere else. It appears to have been a pretty "clean" "cut".

References

1. Citalopram 20mg
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Cannons firin' cannonballs. :)

{"name":"0pKljmo.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/8\/b863f020bc57a41b21fcd9dddd889c19.gif","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/8\/b863f020bc57a41b21fcd9dddd889c19"}0pKljmo.gif

(It's a GIF so you'll have to click it to view.)

Had a blast with the math. Wasn't hard but was pretty cool making it work :). Since the enemy ship is on star-board, only the star-board cannons fire! If it were on port, then the port cannons would fire. Just nice.

---
they / she

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I found this neat photo of my town. Anyone else with nice photos of where they live?

{"name":"612482","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/031cbf805554da05190d6802352cf132.jpg","w":2000,"h":1414,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/031cbf805554da05190d6802352cf132"}612482

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

There aren't really "nice" photos of where I live. Downtown is basically slums, West end is all industrial, and uptown is just commercial/retail. This is the best that I could find, which focuses on just the tourist part of downtown with a shopping mall and hockey arena by the water, and parts of the steel plant in the distance at the top left:

{"name":"Sault%20Ste%20Marie%20from%20Above_11.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/c\/ac5a0ec8ef035cb445825a3c4d64573f.jpg","w":2000,"h":1330,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/c\/ac5a0ec8ef035cb445825a3c4d64573f"}Sault%20Ste%20Marie%20from%20Above_11.jpg

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I see you have a boat that doesn't go anywhere. We do too, but ours isn't in as good a condition. It's still a tourist attraction though.

{"name":"612483","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/f\/df2ccf4b87b162d0927d39f143ae684d.jpg","w":1484,"h":2000,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/f\/df2ccf4b87b162d0927d39f143ae684d"}612483

I just discovered we even have a Wikipedia page, which surprised me considering how small our town is.

edit:

P.S. It looks very flat where you live.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

This is where I live. 8-)

{"name":"612484","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a11edadc5b7bf72702c83707f7eb92e.jpg","w":750,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a11edadc5b7bf72702c83707f7eb92e"}612484

That's the view from my desk at work...

Also added UI scaling to my game. Pretty dope. Took like an hour.

{"name":"612485","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ad71b295661f6952477ffabb22a5e968.png","w":3840,"h":2160,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ad71b295661f6952477ffabb22a5e968"}612485

That's my game at 4K. Before the UI was super tiny. You may to view the attachment (4k.jpg) because Allegro.cc resizes the image.

---
they / she

Go to: