Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It was hip and sexy in, lets say, the late 90s/early 2000s. A lot of column inches were written about the Java revolution.

Yup. Thats why it is/was taught a lot, and is used to much. It was the new cool, so everyone wanted to use it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Oh my god! A double post! And what better thread for it to have happened in! ;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The funny part is that I looked at this thread after my browser failed to post one message, and one was already there. Now there's a second :o

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Maybe Matthew de-activated thread locks in response to this thread - and now you see what it leads to :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

class ThreadTimeLock;
class LOLsandROFLfilter extends ThreadTimeLock;
class IndianIPsBan extends LOLsandROFLfilter;
class ImTheBiggestLoser extends IndianIPsBan;
class BamCensor extends ImTheBiggestLoser;
class RepeatedPostCap extends BamCensor;
class ArthurSecondInCommand extends RepeatedPostCap;
class ForumPosts extends ArthurSecondInCommand;
class AllTheAnnoyingForumStuffIWantToStop extends ForumPosts
{
   function on_thing_happens(Thing thing)
   {
      global $FIX_IT;
      $$FIX_IT(thing);
   }
};

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I wonder what would have happened if Sun had been able to get applets working really well (or at least as well as Flash) - they were always really clunky due to the implementation and I think that caused a lot of the 'Java is slow' thing that still hangs over it.

What lead to the "Java is slow" thing is that Java is slow. Not fundamentally, but the default configuration of client Java is slow. I believe it launches a new JVM for every application and the JVM isn't tuned for the machine it's running on. Java can be fast by using the server configuration (a shared JVM) and especially by tuning the JVM to the specific machine and applications that are running on it. I recall when I was learning Java in college that it seemed to be considerably faster in Linux "automatically". Whereas the majority of people that experience client Java are running Windows... And I found the Windows software was just super slow.

Java is not going to go away. There's inconceivable lines of code written in Java that cannot just be rewritten anytime soon. Much of that software will need to be maintained for the next 10 or 20 years.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'll never forget being able to play Unreal Tournament on my atom Netbook with integrated graphics, but freaking Minecraft (EARLY version, no special bump mapped shaders) with some blocks ran at <2 FPS.

"What did they program this in?!" I asked...

"Java they said."

Accurate humor aside, I'm sure Java has many qualities. But I'm curious how Java plans to keep moving forward as an enterprise solution when all browsers are removing it, Android doesn't support Java (it's a subside/alternate Java from Oracle, hence the lawsuits), and if I was running enterprise software and I saw that Java had a new CRITICAL security flaw every week, I'd be raising a suspicious eye as the head of IT.

So to be clear, I'm not bashing Java. But I've never experienced a serious programming language have such a huge backlash so I'm not sure how things are going to keep moving forward.

I mean, flash is going the way of the dodo but the thing is... nobody needs flash.

I wonder if the only reason the sword hasn't fallen on Java the way it has Flash is because tons of enterprise software still runs (still vulnerable) so they can't kill it off as easily and worse still... there is no clear successor to Java the way HTML5 is to Flash. The only comparable alternative to Java is what... C#? Which people are still scared of because Microsoft may yet play an evil card, even with open-source implementations of C# like Mono. There's nothing to guarantee Microsoft won't sue Mono the way Oracle sued Google.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Most of the security flaws have to do with the browser plugin actually. Once you remove the browser plugin from the picture, the amount of flaws they have to fix will drop by a HUGE amount.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Once you remove the browser plugin from the picture, the amount of flaws they have to fix will drop by a HUGE amount.

The actual desktop client software is like any desktop software. Once you allow it to run, it can do just about anything. It's a completely different beast. It is wide open by design ;)

--

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

A previous draft of my post had, but I felt it was too ranty and wouldn't get my point across. Just forgot to add that bit back in.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You have a problem, so you decide to use Java. Now you have a ProblemFactory.

You have a problem, so you decide to use threads. Now you hatwo proveblems.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Hah!

--

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

You have a problem, so you decide to use Java. Now you have a ProblemFactory.

You have a problem, so you decide to use threads. Now you hatwo proveblems.

Winner!

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Can I steal that and tweet it?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

PLOP. >:(

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

This is a nice dead thread we have here. Would be a shame if someone revived it.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Isn't it ? ;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Hehehehe

P.S.

Quote:

Slow down ... you are over working your fingers, your keyboard, and MY SERVER! :)

Only one post is allowed per 30 seconds.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Maybe old programming languages that haven't been used for a while should be 'locked'.

He said to subtly bring this thread back on topic.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Ah, to be a housewife. To be a son. To be wrapped in a warm, blanket of financial oblivion. To see others off to work, off to die in a war. Beauty is not truth; it is the powder on your cheeks, the golden locks of your youngest child. Kiss him good bye. Keep him your own, then let him off to grow--but not now. Now he is you; he tugs at your blanket. The husband goes off to bring back more.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

From what I see in my work environment, Java is still going very strong. Oracle may have second thoughts about it since they can't figure out a way to extract enough profit. But unlike e.g. Flash, there is not one single company controlling Java anymore, so Oracle couldn't kill it even if they tried.

Java Applets though, are dead and nearly buried. Browsers have made it incredibly hard to get an applet working smoothly in a site for (good) security reasons. At work, we're still using Java on the server side but we've totally given up on applets.

@Gideon: where did that come from?

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Bump

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

It's inevitable, this worker thread must eventually be reclaimed back to the pool, once useful work runs out.

Go to: