Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I don't get overtime I'm always out of work by 4:30 pm and I don't work weekends so in my opinion it's worth it .-.

I don't get overtime either. I actually work on a 8-day cycle where I work four ten-hour days (2pm-12am), then have four days off, so some weeks I work weekends, and some I don't. But the pay is the same no matter what day I work.

Last week, I worked Christmas Day and Boxing Day, which are statuary holidays in New Zealand, and if you work them, you get paid time in a half, plus you get given a paid day off in lieu, which can be taken at any time. New Year's Day and the day after are also statuary holidays, and I work both of those next week as well.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

I'm waiting for an FxTec Pro1 but they're only producing them slowly.

I'm waiting for the same phone. Been waiting for it for over two years since it was just a planned Moto z add-on. Having a keyboard again will be great, but now I'll miss the projector add-on...

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Happy 2020 everyone.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Still 12 hours here until 2020.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Kewl little 4min video showing some video clips of original footage Jordan Mechner of the game filmed for use in creating the game...

video

I also highly recommend getting the book "The Making of the Prince of Persia" by Jordan Mechner who created the game. It was more of a daily journal he kept at the time which was so interesting to me, I couldn't put the book down.

{"name":"612257","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/1\/613dd3f57b2fbe3963dbc837921056b2.jpg","w":318,"h":445,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/1\/613dd3f57b2fbe3963dbc837921056b2"}612257

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Here's a photo I took of the Sun late this afternoon:

{"name":"612258","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/a\/ea633100ba6dce49e1dc2bb39364e89d.jpg","w":4032,"h":3024,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/a\/ea633100ba6dce49e1dc2bb39364e89d"}612258

At first glance it just looks like a regular overcast day, except there isn't a single cloud in the sky. The haze is from Australian forest fires more than 2000km away.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

A happy new year to each of you. :)

So I recently got back into WebGL. I didn't do much with it last time, but this time I've been having a lot of fun just experimenting. This morning I wrote a shader program that creates a "wobble" effect on textures. Here, enjoy this somewhat undulating potato. :P

Edit:
Here's my avatar wobbling instead. :o

@LennyLen: That's a pretty cool picture. I bet it looked better in-person. It's too bad that most cameras take crap pictures of the sun and moon. :(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Here's the potato:

d12c06ae8c09733a8633b1b4438a4b89.gif

The aspect ratio is wrong. View the image directly to see it in all its glory.

Here's my fragment shader:

#SelectExpand
1precision mediump float; 2 3varying vec2 v_texture_coordinates; 4 5uniform sampler2D u_texture; 6 7uniform float u_time; 8 9void main(void) { 10 11 vec2 tex_coord = v_texture_coordinates.xy; 12 13 tex_coord.x += sin(u_time * 3.0 + cos(tex_coord.y * 10.0) * 1.0) / 30.0; 14 tex_coord.y += cos(u_time * 3.0 + sin(tex_coord.x * 10.0) * 1.0) / 30.0; 15 16 gl_FragColor = texture2D(u_texture, tex_coord.xy); 17}

Super simple. It just offsets the texture coordinates over time to create waves or wobbles. u_time is just the time in seconds since the program was started (think al_get_time()).

Keep in mind: WebGL 1 is essentially OpenGL ES 2.0. So all of the shaders will be similar to what you'd expect to find in shaders written for Open GL ES 2.0.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

The potato is mesmerizing. And Prince of Persia had better music than I originally gave credit (despite the monotony).

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Messed around with some 3D programming again, just so I have something to show for 2020. ;D. Trying to get back some of my enthusiasm for programming, but it isn't as strong as it used to be.

Done up a short clip of me flying over some lunar terrain with some spacey music added to break the bordum. ;)

Note the compile time (after the @ at the top), that was not planned.

video

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

That's a pretty cool video, Neil! The music really made it; very eerie. How do you find 3D programming? Is it difficult? I'm not sure I'll ever get into 3D; the mathematical complexities it adds just sounds too much for me to have any easy fun with it. Also, what are your hardware specs?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

You think he checks his email jajjajajajajajajajah

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

DeepFake Leverton laughs at you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've been doing lots of research into task-based parallel game architectures. I need my dedicated server to handle 10000's or 100000's of objects so parallel is a requirement.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

jmasterx said:

DeepFake Leverton laughs at you.

Not jmasterx, DeepFake Leverton did >:(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

We is a gonna fly on out of here!

I don't know if that's a reference to anything or not, but I read that in Mario's voice.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

For all of you going through winter right now, here's where I spent the day yesterday:

{"name":"612282","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/6\/d687a7ac46c588ffa02be316fa86e700.jpg","w":1729,"h":1297,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/6\/d687a7ac46c588ffa02be316fa86e700"}612282

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

How do you find 3D programming? Is it difficult?

It can be. It took me a while to wrap my head around detecting collisions with the terrain itself. I found some good tutorials on terrain generation and I think this is where I got the ideas for detecting terrain collision...

http://keithditch.powweb.com/Games/html/terrain.html

The final solution for detecting collision was easier than I imagined. My main annoyance with it is the constantly changing ways of doing it. It took me a while to finally get the hang of the fixed pipeline way of doing things in OpenGL, then that changed a little, and I learned some newer, better ways, then that changed to shaders which is totally different. Better for sure, but really different, so I went back to learning THAT, by the time I finally understood it and wrapped my brain around it I was sick of learning it and programming it!

That particular program doesn't use shaders, I MAY convert it to use them, or I may ditch 3D and just do 2D.

As for my hardware, I just built a new system back in June of last year. It's not top of the line or anything, but affordable and plenty fast for me. I have an AMD Ryzen 5-2600 (6 core/ 12 thread) CPU, EVGA GTX 1050TI video which was really nice compared to my old GTX650. I want to maybe upgrade to an RTX2060 Super in the future. And I have 16G of RAM. That 3D program in that little video wasn't optimized at all. Optimizing it will need much more math to be done which I am debating if I want to do that.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I've tried posting this twice now, and each time it crashes... Let's see if it'll work if I remove the proper quotes...

@Neil:

"My main annoyance with it is the constantly changing ways of doing it. It took me a while to finally get the hang of the fixed pipeline way of doing things in OpenGL, then that changed a little, and I learned some newer, better ways, then that changed to shaders which is totally different. Better for sure, but really different, so I went back to learning THAT, by the time I finally understood it and wrapped my brain around it I was sick of learning it and programming it!"

Programmable shaders were first formally introduced to OpenGL in like 2004, so it really hasn't changed much since then. There's no reason not to use them these days. They're super easy; it's just setting up state that is a bit tiresome (but even that's trivial after a while).

"That particular program doesn't use shaders, I MAY convert it to use them, or I may ditch 3D and just do 2D."

So it's just using the old fixed pipeline? And I'd be interested to see what you cook up in 2D.

"As for my hardware, I just built a new system back in June of last year. It's not top of the line or anything, but affordable and plenty fast for me. I have an AMD Ryzen 5-2600 (6 core/ 12 thread) CPU, EVGA GTX 1050TI video which was really nice compared to my old GTX650"

Very cool! :D Good on you for finally upgrading. :P

@Chris: Thanks for sharing! I played VVVVVV for the first time just last month. It was fun! The source code just goes to show you that you don't need to abide by any notion of code purity to make a fun piece of software (although keeping things organized sure does help).

Also, I missed it, but my Allegro-versary was on the 10th; I've been here for 7 years. :o

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I've tried posting this twice now, and each time it crashes... Let's see if it'll work if I remove the proper quotes...

@Neil:

"My main annoyance with it is the constantly changing ways of doing it. It took me a while to finally get the hang of the fixed pipeline way of doing things in OpenGL, then that changed a little, and I learned some newer, better ways, then that changed to shaders which is totally different. Better for sure, but really different, so I went back to learning THAT, by the time I finally understood it and wrapped my brain around it I was sick of learning it and programming it!"

Programmable shaders were first formally introduced to OpenGL in like 2004, so it really hasn't changed much since then. There's no reason not to use them these days. They're super easy; it's just setting up state that is a bit tiresome (but even that's trivial after a while).

"That particular program doesn't use shaders, I MAY convert it to use them, or I may ditch 3D and just do 2D."

So it's just using the old fixed pipeline? And I'd be interested to see what you cook up in 2D.

"As for my hardware, I just built a new system back in June of last year. It's not top of the line or anything, but affordable and plenty fast for me. I have an AMD Ryzen 5-2600 (6 core/ 12 thread) CPU, EVGA GTX 1050TI video which was really nice compared to my old GTX650"

Very cool! :D Good on you for finally upgrading. :P

@Chris: Thanks for sharing! I played VVVVVV for the first time just last month. It was fun! The source code just goes to show you that you don't need to abide by any notion of code purity to make a fun piece of software (although keeping things organized sure does help).

Also, I missed it, but my Allegro-versary was on the 10th; I've been here for 7 years. :o

Happy Anniversary Newb!

(This is how you quote in this thread...w/o crashing the site)
<quote name="Eric Johnson" src="https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/615770/1044559#target" >
</quote>

Go to: