Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Gentleman, a new page, a new subject please.

I think we've beat this horse to death now.

My chess program is almost ready for two player, and will be ready for networking and ai in a few weeks or so.

Peace, peeps.

{"name":"giphy.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/6\/967153d6ebe2b18d94ca0f975b52c35a.gif","w":380,"h":380,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/6\/967153d6ebe2b18d94ca0f975b52c35a"}giphy.gif

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

And I'm maybe a month away from a complete demo of my game. :-/

I'm working on finishing the last part of the dungeon, Floor 4, then adding some random polish (decorations for buildings, settings screen, and music mostly).

I added the final boss fight (spoilers, not like anyone cares):

video

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Done, and done !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You fools. The controversial topics are what has kept this thread alive! >:( >:( >:(

Women don't WANT to do STEM jobs. >:(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I don't know about you bamccaig, but arguing 100% of the time is not my idea of fun.

What's kept this thread alive has been all the boring shit inbetween the yelling and cussing.

There's very few of us left now, and what are we doing? Still up to our old tricks, making the public uncomfortable here..............

:-*

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

About women in STEM, that's generally true. And chosen occupation leads right into another modern myth: The gender wage gap, which is a false interpretation of statistics. The fuller picture is that the entirety of women earn less than the entirety of men because the former perform less or easier work for their employer. Men and women have different life priorities, aptitudes, etc. because they are not identical and they make different occupational choices.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Geez, the level of stupidity in this thread just went back up again..........

RE WOMEN IN STEM
May I kindly direct you to Dr. Grace Murray Hopper, inventor of COBOL, the most widely used language in banking and old technology, even still in use today, due to all the legacy code. If you knew COBOL, you could make beaucoup bucks...

Of course, we all know, one is not an example, try these for starters :

http://www.women-inventors.com/

::)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

raynebc said:

The fuller picture is that the entirety of women earn less than the entirety of men because the former perform less or easier work for their employer.

There is a discrepancy in many workplaces however between the rate of pay for males and females performing the same role. This is what most women take issue with - why should they get payed less than a male who is doing the exact same job they are.

That being said, I think the gender wage gap issue is fairly insignificant when compared to the wage gap between the rich and the poor.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Edgar loves picking cherries, but we're talking in generalities so cherries are not very useful. Get a better argument before complaining about those from other people. There are exceptional individual men and women in any profession.

If you don't take things such as years of experience, level of education, number of hours worked per week, etc. into account, people may make different wages for even the exact same job. For this reason it can be showed that two men can earn different wages for the same job. My complaint with the gender wage gap narrative is that they haven't properly made their case considering all relevant factors. I've heard it argued that men are more aggressive when negotiating for pay raises, and I can sympathise with the argument that this can disadvantage women, who generally aren't considered as aggressive as men. If one person negotiates themselves a pay raise without a substantial reason (ie. earning another degree, certification, etc.) then that raise should also be provided to all other staff in the same job role.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I wasn't going to post here again, but... in the interest of sharing something related to gaming and keeping things away from controversial conversations...

GOG is giving away OBDUCTION absolutely FREE! This is amazing. Been waiting for it to go on special, didn't expect it free. This is made by the same ones that brought you Riven and Myst, a Cyan game. I never played it but the video trailers for it look amazing. It's from 2016 and 3D... it will be free until June 1st, so grab it while you can.

https://www.gog.com/game/obduction?fbclid=IwAR0leTG4xsOUDPq4oZ6FRPUGBSm7YvTOTrPQQmyQxABxhS_Fk3ik5OrUOEs

Here's the launch trailer...

video

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

RE WOMEN IN STEM
May I kindly direct you to Dr. Grace Murray Hopper, inventor of COBOL, the most widely used language in banking and old technology, even still in use today, due to all the legacy code. If you knew COBOL, you could make beaucoup bucks...

Examples like Grace Hopper completely debunk the Feminist myths. There are examples of women throughout time that DID do things that were typically male-only. It wasn't discrimination keeping them out so much as their own choices. Most women didn't WANT to be working with machines. And so it's no conspiracy that men would be surprised when the rare one appeared, and teased them for being different. That's just a weakness of humankind (and it goes both ways).

And that remains true today. Despite all efforts to get more women into STEM very few do go, and unfortunately for those women that are steered towards such a career by propaganda many may find after spending thousands of dollars on an education and perhaps even working a few years in the field that they don't enjoy it. Some women will go on to be happy and competent in the fields of STEM, but they most likely would have done it on their own anyway. And any "help" they received along their way just diminishes their own accomplishments and potential.

LennyLen said:

There is a discrepancy in many workplaces however between the rate of pay for males and females performing the same role. This is what most women take issue with - why should they get payed less than a male who is doing the exact same job they are.

You're wrong. The gender wage gap has been debunked thousands of times. When you factor in all variables women generally make the same as men for the same job, and in some cases they actually get paid more (likely the employers trying to avoid such accusations by discriminating in their favour).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wage+gap+debunked

I'll trust that YouTube will give you unbiased results to that. If not, I'm sure other search engines will. Protip: if comments or thumbs are disabled on a video on YouTube you can pretty much guarantee it's unsubstantiated propaganda that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The same is generally true if the downvotes outweigh the upvotes, but even if they're close it's probably a red flag...

The myth arose from examining top-level data about the income levels of men and women. And 100% there is a gap at that level, but that doesn't mean that it's all due to discrimination. That's ludicrous. Most of it is due to women's personal choices. They generally choose jobs that pay less, and choose to work part time. Money isn't their motivating factor when it comes to choosing a career path. And even women that do choose big money career paths often find by their 30's that it doesn't make them happy and they change directions. Usually towards families because that is what makes all of us happy, but perhaps even moreso for women. When the incomes are actually compared between two employees doing the same job women and men are generally paid the same.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Gonna intrude on the (pointless) debate...

I finished the demo of my game.

I didn't expect to get music & sound effects integrated so quickly, but I did it.

This is a major accomplishment. 400 days and thousands of hours. On its own, the game is self-contained: it has a beginning, middle, and end. But hopefully it'll be part of something much bigger.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Good for you, Aaron. Very neat game. And a true accomplishment sticking to it and getting a demo completed.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Thank you, that means a lot.

---
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"Demotivate+0026.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cef1ca08d1614277b38627846421a29b.jpg","w":1125,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cef1ca08d1614277b38627846421a29b"}Demotivate+0026.jpg

Bump. >:(

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I love that one ^^

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's a real shame that the audio player on A.cc is broken:

https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/610450

In other news, it seems Google sucks these days (it's not just our imagination). I tried about 5 queries to try to find that thread on Google, and nothing came close.

Meanwhile, Bing hit it first try. It seems Google must have completely sold out and is offering up sponsored links on the first page(s) instead of relevant results. Which is infuriating.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aallegro.cc+%22dizzy+egg%22+%22bamccaig%22+%22rap%22+%22produced%22

https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Aallegro.cc+%22dizzy+egg%22+%22bamccaig%22+%22rap%22+%22produced%22

Append:

The reason I don't sing/rap very often anymore is because my wife is unappreciative...

media player

You probably can't hear her, but it's almost 2 AM and I was attempting to sing, and since I'm generally quiet when I sing I try to be as loud as I can, figuring I'm never too loud. Well at least I've gotten loud enough to wake the person in the next room. :D She was not amused. >:(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

On a more useful note, how can I block adsites these days? For example, does AdBlock work with Pandora? I've discovered a great band and made a station from them called Pretty Lights Radio. It's pretty groovy.

https://www.pandora.com/station/play/4256912705847146430 8-)

Anything short of the hosts file on Windows?

What about on Linux? iptables?

What's a real firewall on Linux? How can I get a real firewall that doesn't suck on Windows 10? Can anyone recommend one? :-[>:(:-X

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I just set up pi-hole on a raspberry pi on my network. It's basically an open source/free software DNS server with blocklists for ads. The idea is that you setup all of your devices in your network to use a device in your network running pi-hole as their DNS server, and then it'll block access to all known ad networks, by domain name at least. The blocklists are free from third party sources.

Where it all falls apart for me is that most of my devices are using a VPN for privacy, and to ensure my privacy it uses its own DNS servers. I can tell it to use my own, but then my Internet activity may not be fully private because requests to the ultimate DNS server (pi-hole is like a bridge between you and some other DNS service) may leak details about me. I'm not quite sure about that so for now none of my devices are actually benefiting from my pi-hole setup... Which is unfortunate.

The dream is to have ads block on my entire LAN by everything using pi-hole, but I also take privacy seriously so I want to figure out how to use it properly with a VPN which seems to be a very advanced topic and not something I feel comfortable messing with...

I think that iptables is the real firewall in Linux. That said, the UI is very complex so a few wrappers exist. The "easy" firewall in Linux that I'm familiar with is called ufw (gufw for the GUI).

What are your complaints with the Windows firewall? I think it does its job well enough. The UI isn't the most intuitive, but I think you can figure it out easily enough. I rare mess with it though. Only to open the rare port for a server application, which I very rarely do in Windows.

Append:

I'm not familiar with Pandora so I'm not sure what ads you're trying to block. If Pandora is streaming the ads in the audio then there's probably nothing you can do, but if it's loading images or videos or things like that from ad networks then something like pi-hole can probably help.

I definitely encourage the use of Adblock Plus (or other plugins from the same developer) too. It doesn't hurt to have the extra protection in case something slips through pi-hole.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/163557/why-the-windows-firewall-has-so-many-exception-rules-by-default

There are a ton of default rules, but I think it's a necessary evil. As said, in the above stack exchange thread, if users had to explicitly allow most legitimate packets the first time then users would just click allow for everything. The majority of Windows users are completely oblivious to what an operating system or firewall is so Microsoft is trying to find a healthy balance between "Just Work" and security. An open port doesn't do anything unless you have a program on your machine listening for it anyway. And probably more than half of the inbound rules are tied to specific programs, not open ports.

The problem is you, a power user and programmer and you might say hacker, is using an operating system that is designed and built for laymen. The answer is to switch to either OS X (macOS now apparently) or preferably some freedom-loving Unix like Linux or the BSDs.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Then use a router and only forward what's needed.

Go to: