Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

The most despicable thing about the American legal system is for-profit prisons and detection centers. There's a lot of money to be made on a guilty verdict, or by slowing down the process of releasing detainees. It's just sickening. America has a very bad disease. This is not capitalism. In capitalism, prices would be driven down by competition. These are government-funded, self-regulated monopolies.

I basically have nothing to disagree except you saying it's "the most despicable" because there are so many despicable things about my country.

On the otherhand, there are terrible things about EVERY country. Children in the USA think the EU is some beautiful place where everyone hugs, and that their governments aren't just-as-corrupt. They are, just in different ways. I'm not as versed in examples off the top of my head, but I've got friends Denmark and other EU countries and they're like "No no no no no... we're not the paragon of Democracy the US news makes us out to be."

Actually, I do remember one. In the EU, it's actually expected to bribe people, where in the USA, it's illegal. So when companies come to the USA they have to "adapt" to our kind of indirect bribery (lobbying).

You think I'm kidding. The UK passed an anti-bribing law... in 2010. Not 1810. Not 1910. 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bribery_Act_2010

IIRC, US companies are also forbidden to bribe FOREIGN lawmakers. Which USA businessmen called unfair because it meant they can't compete with foreign businesses.

I saw a documentary on it years ago but clearly my memory is only snippets.

On the otherhand, in many EU countries you can actually get healthcare, so you know, sometimes I'd rather have EU's corruption and be able to live.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Marketing sucks.

Also it's a tad depressing to know only four people have played my game since I launched the website. The latest person got level 2 attack then quit.

I'm unsure if the scary warnings literally every antivirus gives (and Windows 10) have anything to do with it, because the launcher has had more downloads than there are game build downloads which is odd.

I think I'm going to buy an EV code signing certificate soon and sign the launcher ASAP. It's a bullshit racket.

But at least analytics work. 8-)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I'm on Windows 10 and I don't get any scary warning screens.

What bothers me is having things installed to unknown locations, and not even a hint of asking for permission to alter my start menu. The installer could use some work I think.

I just haven't really had time to play it, otherwise I would.

Also bothersome is that your program is secretly reporting analytics without asking me for permission.

Honesty is the best policy, and next to that is disclosure. Both set off red flags when they're not present.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

You must have SmartScreen disabled.

I added a "do you want to install ItsyRealm" to the launcher and an analytics message with instructions on how to opt-out.

The launcher will update itself (and thus you won't notice a difference unless you uninstall it and download the latest launcher again). The patch notes for the game explains the rest.

Those things were on my TODO list but I'm trying to make a game not deal with bureaucracy...

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've been meaning to play it. Just having gotten around to it.

I would definitely suggest allowing local co-op support. That kind of game experience (Egoboo) is 100% the kind of game I would play with friends / my wife.

But yeah, AFAIK, marketing is a PITA that most developers don't realize till they first try to release a game. There are SO MANY games made by developers that literally only release one game ever because they see how little they get for how much work they put in.

PSA: Send video clips to Reddit. There is one (can't remember top of my head) for in-progress game dev clips and it generates lots of buzz of people going "omg that looks fun, I can't wait."

[edit]

Here we go:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedevscreens/

ALSO, know how to "game reddit." I don't know off the top of my head, but there are specific hours that are "golden hours" for getting people to notice your stuff. Basically, Reddit's algorithm is such sh!t that you need to post during certain peak hours of people being on the toilet so that you'll get the necessary upvotes in the beginning. A bunch of initial upvotes = more people seeing it = more people upvoting it. It's a viscous cycle of upvote-exposure-upvote, or bust, for most posts.

I don't give two craps usually about karma on Reddit, however, if you're trying to market your game, you definitely should.

[edit] Also,

/r/indiedev

and

/r/playmygame <------

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I would definitely suggest allowing local co-op support. That kind of game experience (Egoboo) is 100% the kind of game I would play with friends / my wife.

Unfortunately the game is mouse-based and the UI is inherently singleton.

The plan is to add online co-op, though.

---
they / she

Ian Lewis
Member #15,817
December 2014

I hate picking fights (hence never post in here.....) but there was one thing I couldn't let go.

On the otherhand, there are terrible things about EVERY country.

Absolutely true.

In the EU, it's actually expected to bribe people

Not true.

Not in the UK at least. I've lived here all of my 44 years, and never bribed anyone. Never been asked for a bribe. Never had anyone suggest that bribery might help get something done. Never had a friend do any of these things (as far as I know). Oh yes, never asked for or accepted a bribe either :-)

where in the USA, it's illegal.

It's illegal here too, as you noted in your next paragraph.

The UK passed an anti-bribing law... in 2010. Not 1810. Not 1910. 2010

...and if you read beyond the first paragraph of the wikipedia page you find:

Wikipedia said:

Prior to the Act, British anti-bribery law was based on the Public Bodies Corrupt Practices Act 1889, the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906 and the Prevention of Corruption Act 1916,

So it's been illegal in the UK since (at least) 1889.

Now I'm not saying there's zero corruption here; from time to time a politician gets caught taking money for something they shouldn't, but that's kind of the point; if they get caught, they go on trial, if found guilty, they go to jail.

I've never lived in any other EU countries, but Wikipedia(again) suggests that the EU has largely similar levels of corruption to the US. Some countries are worse than others; Spain, Italy and some of the former eastern bloc countries are among the worst in the EU. On the other hand, even they are better than (almost) anywhere in Africa, Asia or South America.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

In the EU, it's actually expected to bribe people

No. The EU is quite diverse in every respect (there are 24 official languages with 28 countries). There are also certain economic differences, e.g. see this map.

I've never heard of anyone bribing an official around here (Germany). The only time it has been mentioned is when I talked to teachers (state officials) who were a bit surprised about the documents they had to sign: basically, you have to be extra cautious even about taking very small presents from students (or, God forbid, parents) because you risk losing your job (and state pension) permanently.

On the other hand, I have friends in Balkan countries telling me it is commonplace to present a physician with an envelope filled with cash before you get (proper) treatment. They'd prefer to do it, just to be sure.

But that's not "the EU". Come and see yourself. :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You're all ignorant. Politicians are regularly bribed in all countries. If any politician isn't getting bribed they either don't have the power to be bribed FOR, or they're a rare gem with a strong moral compass that still managed to get elected over the competition that most likely lacked such a compass (protip: this never, or at least almost never, happens). It's like winning a Counter-Strike match against an aimbotter. ;) It's human nature. The worst people rule because the best people are nice and fair.

Our leaders are all corrupt. If you pay attention to politics for a while it's easy to see it. It's completely laughable to suggest that USA politics are not bought. Hell, the entire system is based on bribery basically. "Lobbyists" AKA a legal form of bribery. We'll "give" you millions of dollars to support your campaign! In exchange, we expect "nothing". ;)

Give me a fucking break. They're all bought and paid for. Nobody in the West gets into power without being bought.

It's also evident in the blatant flaws of our electoral systems, and the unwillingness of the elected leaders to change the system.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

How could anyone presume I'm talking about day-to-day people like doctors and programmers for bribery? I'm talking about politicians being bribed by corporations in order to do anything.

ehem

Quote:

2018: Governments in Europe are catching up with America in pursuing corporate graft

Quote:

ONE of the more extreme recent cases of corporate bribery is that of LafargeHolcim, a giant Swiss-French cement-maker which was accused in 2016 of funnelling money to armed groups controlling roads and checkpoints around a factory in Syria. The firm still cannot be sure who pocketed its payoffs, via middlemen, that were intended to keep its facility running at all costs. The money may well have ended up funding Islamic State terrorists.

https://www.economist.com/business/2018/05/26/european-firms-are-increasingly-tackling-the-scourge-of-bribery

And that beautiful Germany? ehem:

Quote:

Long gone are the days when German law counted bribes paid by the country’s industrial champions as tax-deductible.

Because, like I said, bribes were a seen as the way of conducting common business. That's shocking, and it should be. But the EU is getting better too.

I saw a documentary on it years ago. I didn't just invent the opinion.

Another fun one: I recall one company makes >90% of one of the materials for "lead-free soldier" (RoHS legislation) and heavily-lobbied for it... and it gets better... it might be worse for the environment. It also is much worse than normal solder because it actually decays over time (quickly! like ~20 years due to "tin whiskers") so , IIRC, places like NASA refuse to use it because they can't afford to have billion dollar satellite projects just die in space. But hey, it's okay if electronics fill up landfills.

Now, I don't have the immediate source for that one (it's been years), so feel free to fact check it and not believe it without verifying it. One of my EU friends told me about it years ago, and I looked it up back then.

I don't know how other people chat, but I try my best to disclaimer any information I don't have immediate sources for, with the implication that anything without a disclaimer is fairly well researched. (Though I'll throw sources in at that point.) Like, for instance, women (and girls) being raped as they cross the border (and the government recommending taking birth control before crossing) is absolutely, 100%, true.

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Ian Lewis
Member #15,817
December 2014

How could anyone presume I'm talking about day-to-day people like doctors and programmers for bribery? I'm talking about politicians being bribed by corporations in order to do anything.

Perhaps because your original statement

'In the EU, it's actually expected to bribe people'

is vague, to put it mildly. Ordinary people bribing minor government functionaries to get stuff done is, I gather, quite common in some parts of the world, just not in Europe. I'm glad to have given you the opportunity to clarify what you meant :) Also glad that we've established that bribery is, indeed, illegal in the EU, as well as the US. :)

bamccaig said:

You're all ignorant.

Thanks. It's comforting to know that someone out there has all the answers and can put me right when needed. Have a great day! :D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Ian Lewis said:

Thanks. It's comforting to know that someone out there has all the answers and can put me right when needed.

Glad I could help! 8-)

Ian Lewis said:

Have a great day! :D

Thanks, you too! :D

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Aaron Bolyard, please put a link to your game in your sig, the way Dog intended.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

By the Yods!

(Such a damn good game.)

video

-----sig:

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Long live this thread.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Aaron Bolyard, please put a link to your game in your sig, the way Dog intended.

Good idea. ;D

I went to my home state (Florida) this weekend for my birthday. Had a blast at Universal Orlando / Islands of Adventure (went to both because the Harry Potter section is deviously split between the two parks). The Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit is like one of the most amazing rollercoasters I've been on. It was insane. Also saw my grandparents; haven't seen them since I was like 9 years old so it's been a while. Overall 10/10 weekend, even with the 10 hour drive.

---
they / she

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

ItsyRealm's web site looks great even with JS disabled, on account of the good use of CSS. :D

Is Florida as exciting as the Internet makes it out to be?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/02/26/thousands-migrant-children-report-sexual-assaults-us-custody-border-detain/2988884002/

4500 children were molested while being detained by Homeland Security since 2015.

158 of them were molested by staffers. This is the story the media is going with and it's a terrible thing worthy of news.

Here's the part they didn't bother to headline: The other 4,342 kids? Were molested by other minors in custody.

That's right. As if I ever should have needed prove that bad people are illegally immigrating into the USA. (alongside all the good people), there you go. Imagine all the rapists who didn't get caught by immigration services? Those people are walking around the states and very likely... still raping kids.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I, for one, don't support policies that help rape children.

But you know, you can't pin it on some "evil white man in power" when minors rape minors. So there's nothing to see here, move along.

{"name":"Nothing-to-See-15a34a2fc727c8.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7c747cbc96709b00ac2334de3a070b56.jpg","w":625,"h":401,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7c747cbc96709b00ac2334de3a070b56"}Nothing-to-See-15a34a2fc727c8.jpg

There's no narrative to push against the evil white males pulling the strings behind the scenes with their penises of death. So instead, the media hears a factoid like that... and just... lets it slip away into wind.

I'm calling it now. No discussion of "why migrates may rape each other" will happen. No discussion of "why minors might rape each other?" No discussion of polices and culture that may result in "south american or central american rapes". Nothing like that. The only thing we'll do is beat our hearts about those 158 cases because we can blame "teh government"--which again, is a real issue but we ARE talking about that issue. We're NOT going to look into or talk about any other issues like the other 4300 kids that got raped. Their rapes don't matter. They don't matter. Because you only matter if a Democrat in power can find a way to use you to push their worldview.

The same way when a Vegan Bodybuilder Woman shoots up YouTube headquarters they report that it happened and that's it. No discussion of many vegan people being crazy. No discussion of women and guns. No discussion of bodybuilding. None of those things matter because she wasn't a "white male" killing people with her penis of death. "She was just crazy. Simple" But if a white guy does the same thing it's not "he was crazy", it's he was somehow brainwashed by institutional patriarchal power and white supremacy. It was intention malice.

Or the Pulse Nightclub shooting where a Muslim kills over 50 gay people (the deadliest mass shooting in USA history.) and we magically forget that the most conservative religion on the planet throws gay people off of rooftops. If you can't use it to push a narrative, it simply gets objectively reported (if even that, like the Jimmy Carter speech about political corruption) and moved on from.

And why am I so worked up about it? Because ignorance of this failure mode of the media means more kids are going to be raped--and I'm sick of it.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

;D
{"name":"611928","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/8\/c8edfdd3199158132ea353618bb591ae.jpg","w":540,"h":822,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/8\/c8edfdd3199158132ea353618bb591ae"}611928

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I guess since HRC isn't big in politics anymore you guys needed another woman politician to caricature :-/.

Cows (and other large livestock) are one of the leading producers of greenhouse gases. They literally contribute to almost 15% of emissions per year ("Worldwide, livestock accounts for between 14.5 percent and 18 percent of human-induced greenhouse gas emissions"):

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/climate/cows-global-warming.html

That's why part of "going green" is reducing meat consumption. It's not new.

And it's better to call it "climate change" than "global warming" because idiots don't know how climate works... Although yearly temperatures are increasing yeaar by year, due to the increased energy, there is an increased volatility that will produce (small) periods of extreme weather in both directions. But you love to forget record breaking summers and think because it snowed it April somewhere up north the scientists are full of crap :).

(Methane is 12x more effective than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas.)

btw there was never a global cooling, that was mainstream media being mainstream media; the consensus has been since the beginning of modern climate science that the earth is warming due to the industrial revolution and everything after.

---
they / she

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

There's no way they'll be able to make the entire world go vegan anytime soon. If that means livestock will have to be raised underneath structures that capture methane, so be it. Renewable energy will get better slowly, but if they want big carbon reductions now, they would push for improvement and increased use of nuclear energy.

Go to: