This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

very compelling argument I am no longer a feminist

/s

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You were a feminist before?!?!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Yeah I believe men and women should have equal rights and equal opportunity.

I think my usage of feminist is different from yours though...

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I just use it to describe fat chicks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[edit] Edgar! (I think it was Edgar).

Gotta admit, code::blocks seems pretty nice. I downloaded it with apt-get, loaded an old game project file and BINGO. Immediately compiled and ran it. It ran perfect!

I use Geany on my Linux laptop with only 2 GB of RAM. I use compiz nice feature of allowing me to invert any window (not just the whole screen), so I "dark theme" Geany by just inverting it.

CB seems to have more debugging/project functionality. Then again, I use Geany exclusively as an editor, and use a one-liner bash script called "go" for all my projects. So Geany might have good debugging stuff but I haven't tried it.

I write in D 99% of the time and their IDE integration is... god awful. It took me hours to get VisualD and D working with Visual Studio 2017. And I still have NO IDEA why the debugger doesn't stop and catch EXCEPTIONS when they occur in ANOTHER THREAD.

Also, D's multi-threading standard library is a hot mess. It has THREE different ones. core.thread, std.parallelism, and std.concurrency. They do have their reasoning. But then you use ANY other feature like delegates, or "shared" for marking memory access, and half the standard library doesn't work with them. An orthogonal language is one thing D is currently NOT. Which still would be forgivable IF the documentation wasn't so completely shit. Docs that exist are good, but there's giant holes of missing examples, tutorials, explanation instead of just raw code.

Want to see what "shared" does? Why, "it applies the 'shared' qualifier the same way 'const' does." MAXIMUM. EXPLAINATION. ACHIEVED.

It's like I'm on Reddit and dared to ask the "simple" question of What's a Monad?

Why "A monad is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem?".

All over again. That'd be like explaining derivatives "it's just the reciprocol of an integral". Yeah, but what does INTEGRAL and RECIPROCOL mean? A layman might ask.

But I'm digressing. Apparently the Monad answers have become a meme because of how terrible people's explainations were. (like the above).

Quote:

A monad is a way to build a pipeline of functions. It lets you tack functionality onto existing functions, while describing how to compose such "improved" functions.

Specifically, a monad is a type, which has two operations:

- return x takes whatever x is and "wraps" it in the monad type.

- m >>= f (the "bind" operator) applies the function f to the value inside the
monad value m.

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/comments/8xb29f/eli5_what_a_monad_is_and_why_i_should_know_about/

https://byorgey.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/abstraction-intuition-and-the-monad-tutorial-fallacy/

But again, I digress.

[edit] OKAY. One thing CB is pure insanity. The size of the FIND box takes up almost MY ENTIRE SCREEN. Yeah, that's what I want. Not being able to see the TEXT I'm searching through. I'd rather see a big mostly-empty dialog box! ::)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Thing about CB is that it uses WxWidgets, which uses native widgets. Which means CB looks different on every platform (and acts different).

I agree, they could use some better default window sizes, or remember your last known settings. :/

CB is much nicer on Windows, but works on Linux.

Edit
Also, I should note that I use the Nightly builds, which are bleeding edge snapshots of CB.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

bamccaig said:

But also, I'm sure all of us have seen that 10 times already (except for maybe the one active noob).

I saw it 10 times! Once here and once in a work e-mail.

Also: OVER 3000! ;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Should we make a new general thread just so we stop freezing the website for 10 minutes every time we post?

Like, "monthly thread". Make a new one every month. Or, maybe, just ONCE A YEAR. ahahah

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Katko said:

Should we make a new general thread just so we stop freezing the website for 10 minutes every time we post?

It's okay Chris. We all have moments of weakness. But we must not relent! The fearless leader will cave to our demands eventually!!!! I have 4 scene it.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Just watched this video which explains the mess of graphics on level 255 of the original Arcade Pac-Man game. As some may know, if you hit level 255, you get half a screen of garbled graphics and that ends your game play. I already understood why, as most may guess, it's due to the 8bit limit. But he explains every bit of the graphic mess on screen and why it is all there, which was actually rather kewl...

video

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm married now. >:( To a woman. A real one. Not a mail-order bride. She chose this. And I'm very happy. >:( The day went pretty smoothly. As smoothly as I could have hoped for.

Append:

I'm pretty sure we were discussing Allegro either at the church before the wedding or at the reception..

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

I'm pretty sure we were discussing Allegro either at the church before the wedding or at the reception..

She's a keeper!

My wife won't even talk to me about ontological empiricism in bed. ::)

[edit] I'm almost positive nobody on the planet will get that reference. I have no idea how it popped into my head.

-----sig:

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Three things:

Re monads, this series of posts from Eric Lippert is the only one that made any sense to me: https://ericlippert.com/2013/02/21/monads-part-one/

Has anyone ever used Godot engine?

Java seems to have gone horrible recently(JDK11) ; I used to be able to make a quick app in a jar and put it onto the shared drive for my colleagues to use. Now there is no standalone JRE to download and the new preferred packaging solution (jlink) only works for modular apps whereas most of my library dependencies are not modular (apache commons math etc.) so argh.

Thank you, that is all.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

I'm married now. >:( To a woman. A real one. Not a mail-order bride. She chose this. And I'm very happy. >:( The day went pretty smoothly. As smoothly as I could have hoped for.

Those frowny faces are sending mixed signals... but congratulations to being married to a real woman! :D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

She's a keeper!

Not with my wife. ::) With Sam H. :)

Pics or it didn't happen. >:(

{"name":"611726","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/53b4b32d4042ec54520132ae2e287ac4.jpg","w":750,"h":1000,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/53b4b32d4042ec54520132ae2e287ac4"}611726

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hohoho. We all know the Cake is a LieTM.
{"name":"the-cake-is-a-lie.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/e\/8e9bb7d810a125ec3986222dd5083962.jpg","w":1200,"h":750,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/e\/8e9bb7d810a125ec3986222dd5083962"}the-cake-is-a-lie.jpg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

We stopped at McDonald's between the church and reception hall because the wife was hungry. A bunch of little girls thought she was a princess. It was hilarious.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

I'm married now.

Congrats! Been married 33 years myself, 34 come February.

I take it things with the inflatable didn't work out? ;D

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Remember when Valve made games? Good times...

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Remember when video cards were affordable?

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Thank those a-holes who use bitcoins. ::)

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Cryptocurrency is a fad. They're all bubbles, because no real money ever goes in, and everyone's stuff is worth less over time because when it comes time to sell it off, the prices will sky rocket downwards as they lose confidence, and all your wasted turbo charged inter cooled over clocked GPU farms will be worthless.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

That wedding cake is glorious. Congratulations, bamccaig. I saw a post elsewhere referencing the wedding but did not realize it was serious.

Go to: