Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

The more I hear about feminism the happier I am that I married the woman I did. She's definitely not a feminist. Gotta love her.

{"name":"611454","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/2\/12011afd9b96d01adc8a3921ab2b96af.jpg","w":598,"h":462,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/2\/12011afd9b96d01adc8a3921ab2b96af"}611454

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

raynebc said:

Were they told that giving women an equal amount of all responsibilities and social expectations would make them happy?

I wouldn't say they get an "equal" amount of any responsibilities. I wouldn't even say society has imparted any on them. I think the closest they come is having to work some kind of job because society no longer pays most men enough to comfortably support their families.

Quote:

Demanding that men act like women in various aspects (like reigning in "toxic masculinity" ie. acting masculine in general) is making men miserable too.

Only the ones that choose to obey their feminine overlords, or attempt to date them.

Well, and the ones with jobs that have women in them. But at least that's only 19/20 * 1/3 of your life, and even then only when there is women around. :-X

Neil Roy said:

The more I hear about feminism the happier I am that I married the woman I did.

What's what mine would do if I took a picture of her too. :P:-/

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Steering the topic on to something a bit happier, today, I figured out why one of our web servers would randomly seem to take ages to load a page.

localhost is an evil hostname for me now. Nginx REALLY LOVES IPv6. Our servers don't have IPv6 enabled, and yet...

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm intrigued, but lost. How did localhost cause IPv6 shenanigans? If your system doesn't have IPv6 enabled wouldn't the library have multiple IP results to go through and ultimately find the IPv4 and work?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Whatever Nginx uses for getting the IP address of localhost, it seems hardcoded and will attempt to connect to [::1] even when IPv6 is disabled, even with the resolver line set to not allow IPv6.

What I see happening is that Nginx attempts [::1], waits for the timeout, then try 127.0.0.1.

To fix it, I just replaced localhost with 127.0.0.1 and it works.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It sounds like there should be an ip6-localhost alias for ::1 so perhaps having localhost mapped to ::1 is not correct anyway. Maybe if you modify the /etc/hosts file (after communicating with others that are responsible for the box, if it's a server or something) to not map localhost to ::1 might fix your problem. On my Ubuntu system the /etc/hosts file does not map localhost to ::1.

127.0.0.1       localhost

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

@Neil: Does your wife work in the medical field? Her clothing reminds me of what I see a lot of nurses wearing.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Greyland818
Member #16,851
April 2018

Do the forums have moderators that can unlock or delete threads?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yes, but:

• They'll never unlock one. You'll just be instructed to open a new thread.

• They only delete threads that break the rules somehow (e.g., spam).

Greyland818
Member #16,851
April 2018

Who are the moderators? How many of them are there?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Not so much these days. Matthew and the guy with the dragon avatar.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Greyland818
Member #16,851
April 2018

;D, I'm guessing they are not active members.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I feel like a little kid whose dad just returned from a yearlong business trip into the Congo, whenever Matthew drops in like that.

Stick that analogy in your cap and fluff it.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Two days without messages. Are we sleeping?

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm thinking about finally getting a haircut and becoming short-haired Eric again. It's been 5.5 years since my last one. I'm not sure yet whether I'll pay to get it cut or if I'll buzz it off myself. I might go for that slick bambams look. :-*

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I for one want pics of the long hair. :D When I was about 19 I stopped cutting my hair out of self-consciousness and insecurity. I think I went about a year and it got to about my neck or shoulder I think before I got it cut. There's a least one picture in existence of this look, but I don't have a copy. I kind of liked it, but it did eventually get annoying having hair in my face. Of course, in those days I also had baggy jeans barely hanging on. The good old days. Now I'm an old man. I wear a belt and my hair is thinning. I rather like the bald thing, but it's a lot of work to maintain at my age. Maybe eventually it'll be automatic. In the meantime, my finacée doesn't really like it when I shave so I usually let my hair grow for a month or two before I shave it again. Still between wearing baseball caps now and shaving my head regularly my hair is definitely thinning. If you like having hair you might want to avoid the hats, and consider not shaving your head. Personally I'm most confident when my head is shaved. And it's one less thing to worry about making "presentable" when I leave my apartment. :D

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

I for one want pics of the long hair. :D

It's not brushed all the way, but here's the gist of it:
{"name":"DcsL3LoU0AEFgeg.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/4\/9400067a2d2cffdea20918ce19a9d8df.jpg","w":480,"h":570,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/4\/9400067a2d2cffdea20918ce19a9d8df"}DcsL3LoU0AEFgeg.jpg:large

Quote:

When I was about 19 I stopped cutting my hair out of self-consciousness and insecurity.

My long hair has actually damaged my self-consciousness. Whenever I'm out in public, old folks stare at me. I usually dislike going out to eat at restaurants for that very reason: I feel like every eye is on me. Plus long hair is associated with being a stoner, which I am not... but it's difficult to escape stereotypes.

I think having short hair would do me well. I'd "fit in" with the norm. No longer will people associate me with stereotypes. I think it'll help my confidence, too. We'll see.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Oops. Accidental double post. :-X

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If my finacée saw that hair she'd probably be jealous. :D Donate it to cancer patients or something!

Long hair is also just associated with free spirited people. Could be drugs, music, or whatever. Honestly, truly "old" people are going to suspect most younger people are doing drugs or getting into trouble because they used to at your age! :D

Don't worry about what other people think though. Confidence comes from within. I cut my hair when I began to build my confidence, and faced my fear of going to a barber. Well, mostly I was afraid of going to a hair salon for women. For good reason. They make you very uncomfortable. Once I found a barber I gave it a try and liked it much better. Until the womenfolk took over. That's when I went back to shaving my own head.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

If my finacée saw that hair she'd probably be jealous.

Ha, I've actually had women tell me they're jealous of my hair. ;D I sometimes tease my sister by telling her I have prettier hair than she does. :P

Quote:

Donate it to cancer patients or something!

That would certainly be the most utilitarian use of it. The only organization that I know of that makes wigs out of donated hair is Locks of Love. They are only done through salons though, as far as I know. I'm sure you can see how that'd be a problem.

Quote:

Honestly, truly "old" people are going to suspect most younger people are doing drugs or getting into trouble because they used to at your age! :D

Maybe so. Some old people are just bitter and judgmental for no apparent reason. Then again, so are a lot of people in general.

Quote:

Confidence comes from within.

I'm trying to follow that mentality.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Oops. Accidental double post. :-X

With hair like that, you post as many times as you want. :-*

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

...Locks of Love. They are only done through salons though, as far as I know. I'm sure you can see how that'd be a problem.

According to the Web site you can send it to them. You pull it into a pony tail and wrap both ends with an elastic or something. Then cut it off. It needs to be wrapped up like that for that organization to use it, but there are probably other organizations that do it. If you wanted to go that route you could pretty much do it yourself. Wrap it, cut most of it off, and then shave the rest.

As a little aside, if you decide to take an actual razor to your head to get closer be very careful. It hurts like hell if you cut yourself, and you will cut yourself. :D It's worth taking your time. Otherwise, it's pretty harmless (I think).

Go to: