Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I took a taxi today and the cab driver was a really old, nice man. In our conversation I learned he was a programmer way back in the late 60s! The guy programmed on older IBM mainframes using punchcards. It was fascinating to talk with him. It's so rare to talk to someone who has been at it that long. Since I was a young child. Man, he was programming when I was a toddler in diapers! Kewl beans anyhow. :)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

Was his name ... Arthur?!

It's been a while since we heard from Mr Kaliokoski(sp?). I wonder what happened to him.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

Was his name ... Arthur?!

I haven't got a clue. I kind of wish I knew him better. It's the sort of person I would love to spend time with and hear about his experiences.

He also talked about programming Cobal and Fortran and his current computer uses Windows 10, so he has remained up to date. I think he was in his 70s or even 80s.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

He made the odd appearance in IRC too, but I think it has been many months since I last heard from him in either medium. :( I'd like to think he's just lurking.

Append:

ML's other thread was probably just intended to distract us from keeping this one alive! We mustn't falter!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

You guys seen any good movies lately? I'm still waiting for Michael Bay's live action adaptation of The Powerpuff Girls.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Last movie I seen was Blade Runner 2049. Otherwise, nope. The new Tomb Raider looks interesting.

---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I can't even remember the last movie I have seen. Maybe Deadpool?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I checked which movies are coming. Some interesting titles to me...

"Ready Player One" looks pretty interesting.

video

A surprising movie coming out on the 28th is "Paul, Apostle of Christ", looks interesting, but I am a little iffy on the story, could be good though. I don't see a lot of Bible movies so I may go see it anyhow.

video

Edit: Ooooo... this looks like a nice movie! "The Second Coming Of Christ"

video

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I can't tell if Ready Player One needs made or not.

Like, half of the source material is an homage... to Stephen Spielberg.

So they got Stephen Spielberg... to make an homage movie... about Stephen Spielberg.

It's confusing.

Neil Roy said:

The Second Coming Of Christ

I always thought the Passion needed a sequel. That, or the DVD alternative endings, where he just dies and then it goes to credits.

Also,

video

Also,

video

[edit] Damn A.CC's inability to use shrunk YouTube links, or links with timestamps.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I always thought the Passion needed a sequel.

In this interview, Mel Gibson confirmed he was working on a "sequel" named "The Resurrection". He stated the movie was three years off, and this was in 2016. So maybe 2019? But, I wonder about where such a movie would go. I love Bible movies, so long as they remain true to what the Bible actually states.

video

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This is getting a little too religious.

video

There. >:( YouTube lead me to interviews of the actor from the passion movie, and the fucking idiot was describing how he was near death on the set (allegedly), and Mel Gibson opted to gamble his life, and he was like yeah, if I die filming this movie so many people will be saved... Fucking idiots. It's a goddamn movie. There's no fucking reason he should have needed to risk his life to achieve the footage. It's not even like a fucking car stunt scene or something. And there are stunt doubles for actual dangerous stunts. The whole point of Hollywood is that they can fake all of that stuff. It just sounds so fake to be talking about almost dying filming a movie about Jesus Christ. Get over yourselves. Just trying to profit from the hysteria of the stupid audience that would eat it up. It's just frustrating.

Anyway, Ready Player One looks a bit interesting, but I'm sure it'll be ridiculous because I doubt the film makers have done the necessary homework to comprehend how something like that might actually need to work to be believable. Instead, it'll probably be cringeworthy as fuck, but worth a rip anyway.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

Before or after I posted tons of videos orthodox Christians would find offensive? :P

-----sig:

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm super excited about Ready Player One. :) Read the audiobook and some sections of it were really riveting.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

Do like I did, don't watch what you don't like. Easy. My tastes in movies won't change because you don't like them. I am sure you like something I don't. I happen to love Bible movies... if they're accurate to the Scriptures anyhow. And that won't change anytime soon.

I'm super excited about Ready Player One.

I watched a good video where someone pointed out some of the "easter eggs" in the trailer. It was pretty interesting. Looks like it could be a pretty good one to watch anyhow. One of the easter eggs you can find in the trailer is Duke Nukem is in it firing a rocket which I found very kewl.

video

---

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Sorry for the late response but:

Yeah but you can't resize those arrays!!!

Why do you say that. ???

Pascal has dynamic arrays since Turbo Pascal 1 or may be even earlier. The way they works are almost the same than the other arrays with the difference they start always on 0. Internally they're almost exact than standard array.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Roy said:

Do like I did, don't watch what you don't like. Easy. My tastes in movies won't change because you don't like them. I am sure you like something I don't. I happen to love Bible movies... if they're accurate to the Scriptures anyhow. And that won't change anytime soon.

I won't mind watching the movies if they're well made and interesting. I just meant that the thread was derailing into religion again and it was too much for comfort. >:(

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

I just meant that the thread was derailing into religion again and it was too much for comfort. >:(

I understand. I thought about it, but it is just new movies that interest me, nothing more, nor will I go into more details about any of it. ;)

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It's been SEVEN HOURS since the last poster posted! We don't want this thread locking!!!

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

:o

---

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I'm doing my part, are you?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I do my part when there are a few days since the last post.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Seen this on Facebook, I can't stop laughing when I see it. ;D
{"name":"611360","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7fd5588277cd8cea8f002aa127dc8088.jpg","w":640,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7fd5588277cd8cea8f002aa127dc8088"}611360

---

Go to: