Are you a time traveler?

Yes. I travel forwards in time. :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Well I travel sideways in time. So there.

So that explains why you crab walk everywhere...

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"610998","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/a\/da0b4be50239aa20b5af55f73aca9697.jpg","w":300,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/a\/da0b4be50239aa20b5af55f73aca9697"}610998

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

That would explain deja vu.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"610999","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/a\/4a9c3cf00d8b1ab25cd1af3b807b6165.jpg","w":700,"h":420,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/a\/4a9c3cf00d8b1ab25cd1af3b807b6165"}610999

---

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Has anyone played PUBG? I tried it last night and it was fun as heck!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I've played a few times with Chris Katko and have about 50 hours in game. It's a really fun game, but it's also extremely frustrating. Worst of all, because it's so popular and being good at this game is praised there are countless people that are using hacks with no conscience. Many popular streamers have been caught using hacks. And no, they're not really that good.

Last week or so I swore off PUBG for a few months. I'll wait and see what the developers achieve in curbing the hacking. It feels like every game I play there are hackers now, and you just have absolutely no chance against people that can see you through walls and cover in a game that is purely about being unseen and getting the drop on people. The game itself offers you little to defend yourself from hackers. You cannot spectate your killer, or even see a 10 second killcam. They've added a "report" feature to report suspected misbehavior, but since you cannot spectate you're just guessing, which probably leads to unnecessary volumes of false reports, which probably makes it that much less likely for them to identify the real hackers.

I know from Counter-Strike experience that you cannot automatically detect and ban hackers. After nearly 20 years of Counter-Strike hacks are still prevalent. Your only recourse for keeping them out of the game is giving players the tools to identify, report, and kick/ban hackers (or private servers that are always manned by trustworthy admins). CSGO doesn't suffer from too much hacking, but it still does happen often enough. They also usually don't get away with it for very long. Of course, most of them enjoy it so much they don't mind spending extra money to just set up new accounts and do it again. It'll always be a problem. I just hope that PUBG manages to improve the player experience so that it isn't so hopeless. Until then I'm back to my usual CSGO self. :)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've got ~120 hours so far. The fact it's a single map so far and still interesting says a lot about the core game mechanics. (Want action, drop in a high-action area. Want relaxed pace, drop off in the beaches. Etc)

It's very frustrating solo (100, 1 man "teams") for sure. If you die, it's often without even seeing where you got shot from. There's many more "this is B.S." deaths.

Duos (50, 2 man teams) is really fun with friends.

Squads (25, 4-man teams) is hectic but fun with friends. (I imagine with random people would still be frustrating.)

I kind of like duos best because you can kill one guy with an ambush and their group is half-strength (1 guy left) and easily finish them off. But in squads, you knock one guy out and the other three can murder you and res their guy and the second you started firing, you attracted another group into the fight. ... So now you've got ANOTHER four people, fresh on ammo and health, shooting your back.

It's really interesting how the different group sizes affect gameplay. Solo means there are 100 independant units running around the map. They're everywhere. Squad, everyone is in fewer groups. So you're less likely to see people and yet it's a heavy-duty fight.

PM me if you want into my Discord channel / want to play teams with me. I play pretty regularly.

The hacking is B.S. But I'll go days without noticing any hackers. This weekend I didn't have any problems. But the week before when I was playing with bam, it felt like there were lots of "b.s." deaths.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Yeah I got tired quick of playing solo. But playing duo was an entirely different experience for me. So much fun cooperating and trying to approach situations with good tactics. I haven't experienced much hacking but then again I'm not the best FPS player (haven't played Counterstrike for 15 years or something) so I might have gotten killed by hackers but mistaken it for my own incompetence instead :)

It would be fun to play as a team sometime!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Friendly reminder...TINS2017 is in October.

http://tins.amarillion.org/news/

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

whupsy!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Almost, Arthur... Almost. ;)

Edit
So last month I shared a recreation of Allegro's built-in font in TTF form, and now I've attached a WOFF version if anyone wants it. The TTF version is 16 kilobytes, while the WOFF one is just 4 kilobytes!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Does Allegro 5 support WOFF files?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Does Allegro 5 support WOFF files?

Not to my knowledge, but you could write a WOFF addon if you really wanted to, I guess. You can use WOFF on the Web though.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Open_Font_Format

Quote:

WOFF is essentially OpenType or TrueType with compression and additional metadata. The goal is to support font distribution from a server to a client over a network with bandwidth constraints.

Seems like it'd be way easier to simply convert WOFF back to TTF.

You can even do it online:

https://andrewsun.com/tools/woffer-woff-font-converter/

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

WOFF!

{"name":"Wheaten_Terrier_iStock_0000.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/3\/e3146a75d3081459af105506e057f853.jpg","w":620,"h":465,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/3\/e3146a75d3081459af105506e057f853"}Wheaten_Terrier_iStock_0000.jpg

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

FreeType had WOFF format for a few years actually, so Allegro 5 should support it. As long as the FreeType lib is not over 5 years old.

Interesting thing I saw today on the way home. Someone didn't know the reason why their car wasn't driving right and smoking was because it was on fire.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

BBC News don land in Pidgin na.

I thought this was satire, but it appears to be real: BBC News is now available in broken English: https://www.bbc.com/pidgin Hilarious. ::)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Actually, IIRC, in some African countries it's actually the language they speak.

[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_African_Pidgin_English

You can also get a pidgin english bible. =D

http://www.pidginbible.org/Concindex.html

Quote:

1Aloha! Dis me, James, da guy dat work fo God an fo Jesus Christ, da Good Boss. I writing dis letta fo God's peopo from da twelve Jewish ohana, dat stay scatta all ova da world.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Fair enough, I guess in that part of the world that is how English is spoken, and we'd be speaking it wrong. I guess it's good that the BBC is publishing in that then.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I emanday atthay igpay attinlay ebay upportedsay! ;D

---

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Ewazon ouldshazon obablyprazon opstazon emandingdazon ingsthazon asedbazon onazon "amazon eelsfazon" :)

(See what I did there?)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: