This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Maybe I forgot about it. But I never normally just leave a window open on A.CC and just sit there.

It was on my laptop and out of the corner of my eye my brain is like "something moved on A.CC?!"

[edit] Post 1451!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I used to back things up just by saving them to a second set of floppies in my DOS and Amiga days. I still have many of my Amiga floppies and DOS floppies, though the DOS stuff I eventually transferred to CDs which I still have. I can no longer read the DOS or Amiga floppies sadly.

I want to buy a floppy disk drive again so I can read them. And someday, maybe buy an actual Amiga again. Wish I still had my A500, it was my favourite.

Johan Halmén's avatar blinks. I always got a kick out of that.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

{"name":"7M8OO9c.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d13b28153b7cf0d4088d236eab987c8.png","w":1366,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d13b28153b7cf0d4088d236eab987c8"}7M8OO9c.png

Added CPU and load averages. Chart JS is pretty cool. The graph is interactive. You can click any of the datasets on the legend and it'll disable them.

I think I'm going to make a common interface so you basically just write a Python script that implements that (dead simple) interface and you can call whatever you want to get the actual statistics, and as long as you report them back using the standard interface, the main program doesn't care.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

bamccaig said:

I feel like that avatar has been on this message board longer than I have. :P

Yes, I think it has :)

Chris, your helicopter game needs more kittens :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

bamccaig said:

A Windows 95 machine probably would have had floppy disks for backup (hopefully it's not a LOT of data).

Zip Drives, dude!

bamccaig said:

I feel like that avatar has been on this message board longer than I have. :P

It's the only one I've ever had apart from a brief interlude.

Neil Roy said:

In 40 years I will be 92, shaking my cane and yelling at the young whipper-snappers about programming in a REAL language like pure C... like we did in my day! ;)

To be fair, you do that now ;)

Cheers, all!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I think the "This Place Just Doesn't Die" thread died too soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Quote:

To be fair, you do that now ;)

True, gotta practise for when I get older. ;)

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

So how do you guys pronounce "Reese's" as in "Reese's Peanut Butter Cups"? I've always pronounced it like "ree sez", but folks here in Louisiana all say it like "ree seas".

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

REE-sez. While you're down there, ask the folks of Louisiana the name of that winged insect that lights up at night as part of its mating ritual.

I think the "This Place Just Doesn't Die" thread died too soon.

For a while, I thought it was going to systemd this thread. I'll go ahead and play the song.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

While you're down there, ask the folks of Louisiana the name of that winged insect that lights up at night as part of its mating ritual.

I spent most of my life in California, but my mom was born and raised in the south, so I knew them as both lightning bugs and fireflies as a kid. I think most would call them lightning bugs here though, whereas they'd mostly be known as fireflies everywhere else. I'll have to ask around to be sure though.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Always called them "Fireflies" up north here in Canada.

And it's Ree-sez.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

@Neil: How do you pronounce "about"? I've heard some Canadians pronounce it like "aboot".

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Zip Drives, dude!

I think I must have been too young (or poor?) for those. They don't ring any bells. Manufacturing defects aside, they do sound pretty cool for their day.

Append:

Canada is a big place, similar to the USA, so we don't all speak the same. Accents on the West and East coast are more prominent (and different) than in the middle provinces (at least to me), and Quebec (and predominantly French communities in other provinces) can have a thick accent from their French-Canadian influences.

media player

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

Canada is a big place, similar to the USA, so we don't all speak the same.

Okay, but can you say "shimmi shoomi bimmi boomi laba smiddi smooda boo" fourteen times slow?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

@Neil: How do you pronounce "about"? I've heard some Canadians pronounce it like "aboot".

"about". On the east coast you will hear something more like "aboot" though in provinces like Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick.

Quebec is mostly French (well, when you get outside of Montreal anyhow). I don't think the west coast is much different as far as how they pronounce words compared to the rest of the nation. The main differences are Quebec and east of it and of course, in the Inuit communities to the far north.

Also, Quebec French is different from that you hear in France. It's the same difference between American and Canadian English and British English. My father is French and lives in southern Quebec. Very friendly people there.

---

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Yes, we are a friendly bunch in Quebec!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

;D

{"name":"610996","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/0\/707fae4041775a1cde23cf4ccdf67ef5.jpg","w":480,"h":320,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/0\/707fae4041775a1cde23cf4ccdf67ef5"}610996

The following video is a news story about a black man who befriended KKK members and actually, over time, caused 25 of them to leave the KKK, and when they did, they gave him their robes. Amazing story about how you stop the hate with friendship, rather than more hate. This is a great man as far as I am concerned.

This is a link to a Facebook page video... well worth watching, especially with all the hate lately, this is inspiring.

https://www.facebook.com/cbnnews/videos/10159521469970393/

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

L0L WHUT? Someone was talking about Russia? I'm lost.

And besides I needed a reason to post and this thread doesn't have enough replies yet.

This thread is just not epic enough yet. When it reaches 9000 then we'll at least have status with DragonBallZ. It's over 9000!!!!!!111111

How many different subjects have we discussed? Didn't we have some kind of holy war earlier, or was that another thread? I can't remember. Anyway it's Friday night and I don't want to go to bed so somebody reply, or I'll have to go bother people on IRC. :/

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Anyway it's Friday night and I don't want to go to bed so somebody reply, or I'll have to go bother people on IRC. :/

Hey, I'm somebody! :D I found an old HP Mini laptop in the trash today (don't ask why I was digging through the trash). It was beat-up pretty badly; the hinges were busted, the hard drive is totally obliterated, and there's no battery. I disassembled it and scrapped it for the working bits (keyboard, RAM, and the display). Not sure what I'll do with any of the parts just yet, but I'll add them to my collection of computer parts for now. I also found a super old hard drive from spring of 2000. Its capacity? Only 7.5 GBs (or so says the information on the back)! :o Not sure what (if anything) is on it yet. Not even sure if it works. I'll try reading it tomorrow.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I have an old 286 in my room. Someday I want to get it working, but I need a replacement monitor cuz the original went ZAP! and blew up when I tried to use it.

Also have a Pentium II sitting around that doesn't boot. It powers on then powers down. That's it. No output on the monitor. I'll have to tear it open and see if I can find something useful out.

Also have a dead laptop that won't boot - it's pretty messed up. It goes into some kind of safe mode and makes me try to repair things which takes hours and doesn't help. I'm just gonna take the old hard drive out and scrap it I think. It was really too slow. The HD must be low rpm because it was the bottleneck, even with a slow cpu. Have I mentioned how much I love my new laptop with a 256GB SSD for the Windows boot drive and a 1TB HDD for storage?

EDIT
Hey, let's chat on IRC - I'm Modulo5K on #allegro on irc.freenode.net

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I think you've mentioned your love for your new laptop a few times at least. :P

Laptop hard drives usually operate at around 5400 RPMs, so I'm surprised the hard drive would be the bottleneck. Any idea how low the RPMs is on it?

Also, what do you call those repair tools used to disassemble computers and phones? They're usually some kind of plastic and look nearly identical to guitar picks. Whatever they're called, I need to get some, because using a flat-head screwdriver just doesn't cut it anymore (too many little scratches).

Edit:
It's just a "prying tool" or "spudger", I guess.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Edgar, you sound like me, I have many old parts around here. I think I have a 486, I dunno, a really old board anyhow with something on it! I have a Voodoo 3-2000 video card (or is that a VD2-3000?). A complete computer that was given to me with an Intel... something... it's a duel core (I am used to AMD). I want to build a simple internet system for a friend and an older DOS computer for myself.

---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

{"name":"610997","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2afb0c33e5fce121bf1b26066f988f24.png","w":710,"h":48,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2afb0c33e5fce121bf1b26066f988f24"}610997

Are you a time traveler?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've got a Compaq "Portable" 1. Weighs like 30 lbs.

{"name":"compaqI.JPG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ad31e0a06a2a5f1b311a7c31c874f0ba.jpg","w":508,"h":245,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ad31e0a06a2a5f1b311a7c31c874f0ba"}compaqI.JPG

I wanted to put a webserver on it some day. Ironically, I think the "serial -> ethernet" adapter will have a 10-100x faster processor than the server.

-----sig:

Go to: