Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I don't know what mine is set to, probably 100 as well. This is page 14 for me.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I have mine set to 25 posts per page. This is page 56 for me. I originally had it set to show all posts on a single page, but that became too slow to endure.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

ALL in one page?! That's nuts. ;D... but, this loads just nicely the way I have it at 100 per page with no delays.

Edit: Just found this! It's an accurate guide! ;D
{"name":"610972","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/afe6fe19ee046aa742123c548e71ee0e.jpg","w":720,"h":824,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/afe6fe19ee046aa742123c548e71ee0e"}610972

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

What do you guys think about BioShock? I played some of the first one several years ago but didn't like it. I later played some of the remastered version but wasn't able to get into that one either.

The game is often praised for its story, but I can't play it for its story, because the story was spoiled for me years ago. I find the minute-to-minute game-play to be boring, as all you're doing is moving from point A to point B in dimly lit areas, sometimes engaging in clunky shooting.

But anyway, I saw a video of BioShock Infinite today and wow--it's visually stunning, and I know nothing of its story. Do you think it's worth picking up?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think that I watched some videos when the first one came out and came to the same conclusion: it looked like garbage. I never bought it or played it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Bioshock is a crappy crappy remake of System Shock 2 (they even have the same plot twists), except they ripped out ALL of the mature features like having to manage your inventory, having to KNOW where you're going without some magical glowing arrow telling you where to go and what button to push. Complete piss. I bought it thinking it would be a SUCCESSOR to System Shock 2 (due to the marketing saying it was) but it was the opposite.

Bioshock 2 didn't really add much. Bioshock: Infinite is different but still feels like more of the same. "Oh no, everyone is proper and prim--except we have HUGE AMOUNTS OF GORE! That's what people want!" Meh.

I've literally beat System Shock 2 probably 6 times now. And started it, dozens. It's one of the most replayable games. You really feel like you're STARVING for ammo. STARVING for nanites to repair your weapons. You start off with almost nothing and end up feeling like you have even less.

Deus Ex is a great game to replay every few years. (There's a joke phenominom where any time someone mentions DX, everyone who hears it goes... "oh crap," and reinstalls and plays it again.)

Thief 1 and 2 are brilliant as well. No matter HOW much loot you get, you NEVER feel safe. You are fragile. And the only thing that keeps you alive... is your skill. And once you realize halfway through the game that you're not dying simply because... you're awesome... it's the most rewarding feeling ever. It's an accomplishment the game didn't GIVE you (like a participation trophy), it's an accomplishment that you TOOK from the game.

[edit] If you want an almost successor to Thief, try Dishonored 1 (ONE, ONE AND ONLY ONE. DEAR GOD.). (D2 was a complete disaster release on PC.) Dishonored is not Thief... in fact, I almost think it's wrong to even compare it (though many people recommended D1 because "it's like thief.") Dishonored is really good because of the story, and feeling like a mage-thief or some kind of sneaky super-hero that can rip people's faces off at whim. There are linear levels (which T1/2 don't have!), and worst of all, you stop feeling weak as you get more magic skills. You can literally kill everyone, or sneak through the game. Except... even WORSE? The more people you kill, the more likely you are to get a "Bad ending." In a game... that gives you nothing but tools to kill people. It's completely retarded to penalize the player for using all the features that are supposed to make it fun. HOWEVER, if you can forgive that, it's a fun experience all the way through. You can play the game "twice" doing a kill run first, and a sneak run once you're more skilled at it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I still have it set to load threads entirely on one page. Maybe it would make sense to change it at some point. :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

@Chris: I looked into playing System Shock 1 and 2 before, but they are so visually and mechanically antiquated at this point that I fear my time with them would not be enjoyable. Also, Dishonored is just a few bucks on Steam... maybe I'll pick it up.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

System Shock 1 is pretty dated. System Shock 2 is a different game by a different company and one of the best games ever made. You can get a high-res texture upgrade (DON'T get the MODEL update because they look different) and it's still pretty enjoyable.

But depending on how young you are, it may be too old to appreciate without your brain spending time "getting used to" the way things used to be.

Deus Ex can also have an HD texture pack, and there's a ~DirectX10 mod that adds better lighting and shaders.

Thief 1 and 2 also have a modern DirectX/OpenGL port (I think they're included in the GOG versions by default now since they help support 64-bit platforms.)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I lied. I only ever saw System Shock 1 before decided it was a "no" from me... But I just looked at System Shock 2 and it doesn't look bad. I don't mind old 2D games in the least, but old 3D games are often really ugly and clunky. I got into 3D gaming around the end of the N64 though, so I'm not too unfamiliar with "chunky" models. So I'll add it to the wishlist.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Old 3D games are often really ugly and clunky.

YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

1st gen 3-D was almost unbearable for me. As an adult, I can't tell what a (real) N64 is supposed to be. Just one gigantic, blurred, NTSC mess. Playstation 1 didn't even have PERSPECTIVE CORRECT TEXTURING. (N64 did.)

I remember going from beautiful games like Secret of Mana, Earthbound (in a minimalist sense), and Chrono Trigger. And then we go from that to 3d-pixel-vomit.'

PC games faired much better since you could run at 2x-4x the resolution of consoles at the START of 3D gaming. But yeah, "1st gen" 3d accelerator games were still really rough on the eyes. (Well, SS1 predates 3d accelerators.)

But there are lots of games on GOG I still can't even get myself to try because they look so bad. Meanwhile, Fallout 1/2, Diablo 1/2, Arcanum, Baldars Gate, are all gorgeous. (~same era).

Half Life 1 (I think it's better than the 2nd, though I've never managed--through boredom--to finish HL2.) is worth playing. The story and humor is amazing

Duke Nukem 3D has hands-down, some of the best level designs of any game ever made.

Fun side trivia: Thief 1 and 2, which have amazing level design, got their map inspiration from Goldeneye 64. They were inspired by the 'complete objectives in any order' and how the levels were very open-ended with rarely any forced routes. Thief 1/2 levels were actually made first, as living places, and THEN, the scripting, enemies, etc were added. Also, Goldeneye 64 had that weird 'hold R to go into aim' mode thing, and it was actually inspired by... Virtual Cop. And if you think about it, it looks EXACTLY like Virtual Cop. The cursor and all.

{"name":"193249-goldeneye-007-nintendo-64-screenshot-sniping-from-a-guard.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/0\/b03711d84272d6c1ded49b2062ffd876.jpg","w":619,"h":356,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/0\/b03711d84272d6c1ded49b2062ffd876"}193249-goldeneye-007-nintendo-64-screenshot-sniping-from-a-guard.jpg

-----sig:

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Is it too late to claim that this thread locks way too late?

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Is it too late to claim that this thread locks way too late?

Too soon.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Is it too late to say that Goldeneye was the best game Rare ever made? Man, I've gotta go back and play that one...

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Conkers Bad Fur Day is a damn close second. They also made Banjo and Kazooie 1 and 2, and DIDDY KONG RACING.

p.s. WTF happened to Rare? I guess they were bought out by Microsoft and then basically just... committed IP suicide? Because they went from "omg greatest company ever, rivalling NINTENDO in terms of character IP" to "made Perfect Dark Zero for Xbox (meh)" to "never heard from again."

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"610980","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0dff4d91200230e53466c3ae341e63ed.jpg","w":1680,"h":1050,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0dff4d91200230e53466c3ae341e63ed"}610980

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I encountered a strange bug in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion today. I jumped in water as I returned to land, and the result was my character floating in the air motionless, almost like its wading in water animation was stuck.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fczt_lyGzw0

Edit
Here's the same thing but in another area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nEXk90eHyI

Another Edit
So I realized it's not the swimming animation that gets stuck, it's just the jumping animation. If I bash the jump button repeatedly as I approach the shore from any body of water, I can consistently get the glitch.

Here's a video where I try to get the glitch again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT4_sRXqNh8

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

p.s. WTF happened to Rare? I guess they were bought out by Microsoft and then basically just... committed IP suicide? Because they went from "omg greatest company ever, rivalling NINTENDO in terms of character IP" to "made Perfect Dark Zero for Xbox (meh)" to "never heard from again."

Most of them got back together and formed Playtonic games. Recently, they released their first game - Yooka-Laylee - after a very successful Kickstarter campaign to get it funded. It's a great game too.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I backed the Kickstarter. I haven't played it yet because I'm saving it for a time when I can dedicate a good block of time to absorbing / binging it.

However, Playtronic is a fraction of the developers of Rare. Basically, the key guys for Banjo and Kazooie. That's it. What about all the other great games they made (and their teams)?

-----sig:

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Bugs in the Elder Scrolls series? Inconceivable! (Nice video, by the way.)

Conkers Bad Fur Day is a damn close second.

Amen. Those two games are masterpieces. The Banjo series was nice but felt more like a collect-a-thon, DK64 but with more generic characters... Rare was always a copycat when it came to character design, though: Battletoads, Banjo & Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini... They are all rip-offs (or just plain generic). Conker parodied this, however, and that propelled him to greater heights. Then, there's Mr Pants. All the rest are forgettable, really.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

However, Playtronic is a fraction of the developers of Rare. Basically, the key guys for Banjo and Kazooie.

I probably should have said most of the BK team.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Bugs in the Elder Scrolls series? Inconceivable!

Big surprise, right? :P I thought the glitch was neat was all. ;)

@Chris: Is that an N64 game?! :o It looks great! I'm surprised to see an N64 game with voice acting (beyond grunts and short soundbytes)... and cursing. :o

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I was digging through some old files and came upon the original Speedhack entries from 1999. It's hard to believe it's been so long now, almost 18 years!

Attached is the source code for the original entries if you're curious.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

This gave me a good chuckle (from speed/29.txt): ;D

Neil of '99 said:

The competition rules state that I must "include the number '29' somewhere
in the program" (to commemorate it being Arron's birthday). But
unfortunately, although the number 29 is certainly a very fine thing to have
as the age for an Arron, it didn't strike me as a particularly useful or
numerologically significant thing to build into a computer game.

However, since the rules do not specify which number base they are talking
about, it occurs to me that this could just as well be a reference to the
hexadecimal value 0x29, which is decimal 41. Admittedly, this number has
nothing to do with the age of the Arron, or at least won't do for another
dozen dozens of quartets of weeks, but the rules never actually spell out
that they are talking about the particular 29 which happens to be his
current age (they strongly imply that, but I decided to look the other way
and miss this hint :-)

Now, 0x29, when mapped onto the ASCII character set, refers to the closing
bracket character, ')'. So in order to comply with the competition rules, I
have included several of these symbols in my program. In fact, as reported
by the command:

sed -e "s/[^)]//g" *.[ch] | tr -d "\n" | wc -c

there are currently no less than ONE THOUSAND AND EIGHTY TWO unique
occurrences of a twenty nine in this game! This figure is likely to have
increased even further by the time you get hold of the code, since I haven't
quite finished writing it yet. And there are four more just in this text
file, so if you included the documentation in the above search command, that
would get you up to a total of 1086 different ')' characters! (and since I
just typed another there, that makes it 1087 (and having opened a bracket to
interject this, I'm going to have to close it, which makes 1088 (and now
that I've opened a nested bracket, we are up to 1089 or something, I'm
losing count here))) (btw. I hope I got the right number of closes there).

I'm tempted to say that this is all a joke :-) except that by doing so, I've
just bumped up the count one more...

Edit
You may be interested to learn that sed -e "s/[^)]//g" *.[ch] | tr -d "\n" | wc -c returns "1221" for me. :)

Go to: