Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

There's a place here that sells really good ribs, but for whatever reason, it was bought out, and is now closed. At some point (since I didn't know about this) I thought it may have been closed for remodeling, and when I asked my dad about, he told me about it being bought out.

As far a remodeling, the Taco Bell near my house, however they did it freaked me out, because it took a week or two to tear it down, but it seems as though it took one night to build back up.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Perhaps the old one had asbestos in it and they had to use special procedures to keep its dust out of the air?

Elias said 'yard' - he is officially an American now :'(

[EDIT]
So, how about the incident at VidCon then ;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Yes can we please discuss feminism a bit?

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

We don't have to - but we need to talk about something :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This is the first I've heard of [the incident(s) at] VidCon. :o I am in the process of trying to find unbiased accounts (what I've read so far looks bad for Anita, and also VidCon organizers and the media for backing her up in this matter; and that's even by reading supportive media...). I imagine sooner or later I'll come across the videos of the opposing side, but I seem to already know what happened. It sounds like she attacked them and somehow cried harassment, simply because her critics had the audacity to show up in the front rows of one of her talks. And somehow the media and organizers took her side.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It doesn't just SEEM like she did. She did. It's on video.

- Sargon sits in audience because he's interested in what his opponents think.

- A DIFFERENT PERSON asks a question for the panel, "Do you actually believe all the things you say?"

- Anita snaps and calls Sargon (a person in the audience) "human garbage" and a "shithead"

- Vidcon rules clearly dictate Anita violated their policy against harassment and intimidation. She had a microphone. He didn't. He couldn't even defend himself.

- Vidcon was going to reprimand her. Then "people" told them that there is "history" and she was merely "Defending herself against a history of harassment."

- Vidcon reverses and will not ban her from the conference.

- 99% of YouTubers (the audience) can clearly see how there is a "rules for you, none for me." when you have institutional power. That is, someone powerful wants you to be given special treatment.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

"VidCon" sounds so much cooler than it really is.

Amarillion's article has a good point about dumbing down gameplay mechanic introduction--like if a blue power-up yields 1 point but a red yields 2, how do you tell the player? This is a simplified example, but it's not hard to imagine even slightly more complicated mechanics going over the heads of most people. If I were to add something to the discussion, I would say not to worry too much--because at the end of the day, all that matters is whether or not players have fun, not whether or not they understand what's going on. (Besides, the latter comes with time regardless.)

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

all that matters is whether or not players have fun, not whether or not they understand what's going on.

I agree with this statement, though I would argue that making sure the player knows what's going on from the start can help avoid confusion down the line, especially if the confusion is related to a game's story.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I think 'implicit tutorials' are a neat concept, but they can be overdone.

I think part of the problem is that 'implicit tutorials' is one of the few concepts in game design that are clearly understandable and not subjective. It's something that can be explained to beginning game designers, and they go 'Wow, this is really neat, I can do that too'. And they learn about how Miyamoto, the greatest game designer alive, used this in Super Mario Bros, World 1-1. And now suddenly game design becomes all about implicit tutorials. Like there is nothing else! Of course there are other things, but they are much vaguer, much harder to explain and more subjective.

In my article I highlight the problem with Usagi, where a certain mechanic is not easy to figure out. But you know what: in play testing, players were clearly having fun, whether they understood it or not. So yes, I could explain better. But it's not the end of the world either.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Miyamoto, the greatest game designer alive

I wouldn't go that far. He's the one who fucked up the Paper Mario series, after all. >:(

Edit
I like his work on the Pikmin series. 8-) I'm just a bit salty about his involvement in Paper Mario and the direction the series has taken in recent years. :-/

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Wasn't Portal basically a tutorial? At least the first half of it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I miss amazing manuals like MechWarrior 2 and Fallout 1/2.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

the greatest game designer alive

At the moment, probably Jonathan Blow?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Warren Specter (System Shock 1, and Deux Ex) and Tim Caine (Fallout) aren't dead yet. So I have no idea how one can claim greatest developer titles.

Peter Molyneux (if only he'd get his head out of the clouds and FINISH a game...)

I'm sure I could think of more if pressed. Obviously, Miyamoto has got to be one of the top ones of all time. But I would be hard pressed to "rank" them with respect to each other--as opposed to merely listing them.

On a somewhat related note (since these people are all [wo]men of great vision and creativity) I know people say "ideas are dime a dozen, the only difference is the effort people put into making those ideas a reality." But I think that might be bullcrap. "Good ideas" are dime a dozen. GREAT IDEAS are super rare and worth paying for and patenting. That's the reason we have patients and that's the reason Hollywood pays out-the-butt to buy scripts and IP rights to successful books. If they could generate talent and great IP's "in-house" they would.

-----sig:

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You would be a patient too if you were paying out-the-butt :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Have any of you bought anything good from Steam's summer sale? I just picked up Cave Story+, a fun action platformer. I played the game on Wii last year and liked it a lot. I expect I'll like it even more now on PC.

By the way, I'm giving away a bunch of Steam keys to games I don't want. I made a thread about it here.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I bought tons of GOG games during Summer sale. Steam? Literally nothing this sale. Nothing I saw was really that cheap or interesting.

I did get gifted Player Unknown's Battlegrounds and it's hard as !@$!@$@! but super fun. Like, we play it every day.

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Which games did you get on GOG during the sale? And that's a battle royale multiplayer kind of game, right? Does it not feel repetitive after a while?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is a survival horror or something that plays out like molasses. I watched a guy playing it on Twitch a while back wondering what it was, and was wondering when the action would happen. I watched for like 40 minutes or an hour and literally nothing happened. I don't have that kind of time, but for people that do I'm sure it's fun.

I personally have not found any games on sale on Steam that are cheap enough for me to invest lately. I try to only buy the ones that I know I'll actually play. I haven't seen any really cheap ones, and the few that I wanted were too expensive.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

I try to only buy the ones that I know I'll actually play.

I feel that. There are literally dozens of games sitting in my library that I got from bundles that have never been touched. I recently went through my library deciding which games to keep and which ones to toss. In total, I permanently removed 29 games and some DLC.

Here's most of what got axed:

• Switch Galaxy Ultra

• Vangers

• Arcade Game Series: Pac-Man

• Arcade Game Series: Dig Dug

• Arcade Game Series: Galaga

• OutDrive

• Savage Lands

• ACE COMBAT™ ASSAULT HORIZON Enhanced Edition

• Tropico 4

• X-COM: UFO Defense

• Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

• Super Hexagon

• Duke Nukem Forever

• Super Meat Boy

• Tharsis

• BioShock

• BioShock Remastered

• Life is Strange

• Monster Truck Destruction

• Starpoint Gemini 2

• Space Engineers

• DiRT Showdown

• Saints Row 2

• PAYDAY 2

• Attractio

• Depression Quest

• Unturned

• LIMBO

While most were cut because they simply didn't interest me, some did so because they were genuinely bad. Regardless, I feel better now that I've cleaned up my library a bit. :P

Edit
In addition to Cave Story, I also picked up Kero Blaster. It's made by the same guy, so I'm sure it'll be fun. ;D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

You can remove a game from within the "Support" area.

Support > Games, Software, etc. > "Some Game" > I want to permanently remove this game from my account > Ok, remove the listed games from my account permanently

It's permanent though, so be careful.

Edit
If you try to remove games you got in a package/bundle, Steam may have you remove everything from said package/bundle instead of the individual item, which sucks. Like I wanted to remove Sonic CD (I like classic Sonic, but Sonic CD has piss poor level design, IMO), but Steam said I could only do that if I also got rid of 4 other games that I bought together. Guess I'll hang onto Sonic CD for now... :-/

Bump
So who do you think will be the first human to be tossed into the sun?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

So who do you think will be the first human to be tossed into the sun?

Elon Musk. His advancements in technology will be used against him when the growing right-wing conservatives catch wind of his doings.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Go to: