Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

DanielH, do you think it's possible to get spanners shaped like your avatar?

Possibly. Might have some copyright issues. This is one of the lions from the 80's cartoon Voltron.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Johan, is it Post # 0b1 kenobi?

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

¿uǝʞoɹq buıɥʇʎuɐ sı 'os

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I wish I had some money last year to buy AMD stock at a mere <$2.00. Yesterday it was over $14/share.

You know, I wrote off AMD on account of poor performance of their graphics hardware department (business-wise, relative to Nvidia). I practically forgot they also competed with Intel.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I never buy AMD / ATI video cards. Never had good luck with them. The price point and program compatibility tends to be better with nVidia.

But I'm all about some AMD CPUs!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I just fitted one of these to our thread gate, using supplies ordered yesterday and received today, a Sunday, from Amazon (it's amazing that that's possible). Now we can come and go that way with our bicycles and leave the thread gate locked without having to go through the house again :)

Sorry, I'm too lazy to go out again and take a photo :P

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That's cool.

Back in engineering college, some kids took a deadbolt and added a car locking mechanism so they could have keyless entry to their dorm rooms. ;)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Apparently I'm bad at math. You're supposed to replace your motorcycle helmet approximately every 5 years (I've heard) because the protective layers degrade over time and the helmet is less effective. I thought that I had been riding for 5 years, but upon closer scrutiny from Miranda it has only been 4 seasons. In any case, the other night I got drunk and ordered a helmet for $300 USD. My original helmet was about $200 CAD, but I sought better protection given my added knowledge. My "upgrade", if I decide to keep it, will be Snell 2010 certified, whereas my original helmet was merely DOT. That's the major difference.

I'm guessing that it will be D-loop instead of the clicky-ratchet fastener on my Joe Rocket helmet. That gives me slight pause because I imagine it will be difficult to do with gloves on, and on probably 10 or more occasions I've ridden off while forgetting to do my helmet up so it'll be even more of an adventure pulling over and taking gloves off to fasten it, but I imagine it's worth the added safety. Additionally, there is no retractable Sun visor, which seems consistent with Snell helmets so I assume it has a lot to do with the safety again. Nevertheless, it was certainly convenient to be able to swap between a darkened visor and clear visor while on the move. I'm concerned how that will affect me. I distinctly remember moving between heavily shadowed and heavily lighted spots back and forth on the same road and being able to transition on the move, but being practically blind for the moments in between. I can only assume that if I'm blind then the 5000 lb vehicle behind me probably also has a blind driver so pulling off of the road, if I can find it, is probably not the best idea.

In any case, this was my compromise:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-r2000-fortis-helmet

I stayed consistent and bought it in white/black. It looks decently bright to attract attention. Immediately when I told Miranda she said she could use the other one! Turns out, maybe true, but assuming they fit, and I don't think my other one does, I'd insist on her wearing the new one if we do partner up. Even with the helmet she is still missing a lot of expensive riding gear, and I still have gloves and pants to replace for myself. :-/ Riding a bike is so rewarding, but also so expensive...

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I have never in my life heard "helmets degrade over time."

Degrade from what? The sun? That'd be the paint.

There are so many layers to a helmet, the only layer affected would be the outermost. (Aside from padding but that's from usage.)

There "may" be truth to that but that sounds insane and retarded. Who designs a helmet THAT FAILS? What if your seatbelt failed after a few years? What if your airbags failed? Why doesn't your leather coat fail? Your boots?

And I'm not talking about wear from usage. But wear from time? The only time wear I've ever seen is oxidation and UV damage. (ala your tires on your car crack if left in the sun for years.)

But helmets? The only helmets I even have are over 15 years old. My Dad drove for decades on the "replace when you crash" policy, since helmets (like your car body) are built to collapse on impact to help absorb the energy instead of sending it into your brain bucket. And even then you only need to replace from significant impacts. (Minor impacts aren't going to trigger a breakdown. Bumping your head on the door frame as you walk in the house doesn't cause an explosion.)

Don't get me wrong. If you've got money to spare, safety is a pretty damn good investment.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You're probably somewhat correct in that the helmet won't magically fail in 5 years. However, it's not a complete myth according to Snell: http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhyReplace.

Quote:

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

In general, while you can't know for certain that a helmet has degraded sufficiently to fail in 5 years, you also can't know for certain (without testing it, which is probably going to cost about the same as a replacement) that it hasn't. As you say, safety is a pretty damn good investment. It can be damn scary to come to grips with how vulnerable you are on a motorcycle. Over the few years I have ridden I have come close to quitting because of it. It's certainly a bit of peace of mind to imagine that your head is somehow relatively safe in the event of an accident. The thought that your helmet might not be working at peak efficiency is certainly cause for concern, especially over time. Last year I was even feeling nervous about it, which now I can't imagine why if that was only actually 3 years old. I digress. I think that motorcycling is also tailed by many myths so it's worth considering that this is just one of those. But again, $150 - 500 every 5 years is probably not an unreasonable precaution.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

For a serious rider, yeah, I'd definitely err on the side of caution.

My bike has been a "a project" for 99% of it's life and "drivable" for like 1%, so I'm more of a "it's a beautiful day, let's drive through the mountains" kind of guy than a "let's drive to work even when it's hailing and there's rush hour traffic trying to murder you." Especially as I've gotten older.

I sometimes wish I grew up in the 70's so I could experience practically EVERYONE owning a bike. During their peak popularity, motorcycle culture was really big, but it was also much safer. Why? Because people were used to seeing motorcycles on the road so they looked out for them, whereas now bicycles and motorcycles are so rare you have to be half-suicidal to ride them around road traffic.

Even if you're looking out for riders, they can easily be missed in your A-pillar or blind spot. But since people are even MORE distracted with their phones these days, it's suicide-city. Hell, I had a dumb !@$!@ stop a stop sign, and then proceed to NOT LOOK, and then proceed to drive forward t-boning my car. (A great feeling staring up at a SUV radiator sucking in air right next to my face.) She said, "I didn't even see you!" Yeah, sure. She didn't "see" a car that looked like a police car. (Of all cars, you'd pay the most attention to a cop, right?)

If you can't "see" a cop car, then you sure as hell aren't going to see a motorcycle.

Sidenote: I don't know how it is for you ultra-northerners, but almost every time I've been hit by a car down here in Tennessee, they didn't have insurance, a driver's license, OWN the car "it's my brother's car.", and just so happened to be an illegal immigrant.

And that may sound like some not-so-clever jab at immigration but it's not. It's actually my experience.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It may be true that motorcycle awareness was higher in the 70's, but [citation needed] that it was safer. Insert: Not only was the quality of gear less, but the performance of the bikes was lesser too (though there are still plenty of boats available if you're into that sort of thing)!

As for personal experiences, I have never been in an accident of any kind (knock on wood?), and have actually had relatively few close calls on my bike as well as cars. Nevertheless, the close calls on a bike are far more terrifying. And yes, phones are a major cause for concern...

Had a guy in a pickup truck blow through a 4-way stop a fraction of a second in front of me after I had already stopped and started. Probably the only thing that saved me was that my eyes happened to scan up the road as I was start off and I realized he wasn't slowing down and let off. Up here, I think it's possible to stay relatively safe, but you do need to be pro-active about it and drive defensively. It's not very hip, but neither are broken bones and skin grafts. :P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

Probably the only thing that saved me was that my eyes happened to scan up the road as I was start off and I realized he wasn't slowing down and let off. Up here, I think it's possible to stay relatively safe, but you do need to be pro-active about it and drive defensively. It's not very hip, but neither are broken bones and skin grafts. :P

I know right? I actually drive the same way when I'm in a car. Driving a 5-speed really focuses you to to be a "think ahead" driver because you have to understand the situation BEFORE you get there so you can keep the gear in the right place for your needs. So I'm always scanning the horizon.

I really want to rig up a Gaze Tracker, a pair of cameras with the right math transformations so you can translate between eyes, and what the eyes are looking at. I want to compare myself, and other drivers, as well as with distractions. I also want to experiment with my dogs with it.

Here's a great example of eye tracking being used for... a movie. Helping explain what people are doing when in a scene, and how their eyes begin to wander as the begin to subconsciously get bored.

https://vimeo.com/19788132

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My helmet has arrived. :-* It's pretty nice. Some true upgrades over my original helmet which I bought before I knew anything about the sport or gear. I think it will take some serious practice getting used to doing and undoing the double D-rings. My first helmet had a simple clicky quick-release system, but I think the double D-ring system is probably also a lot safer. It will also take some planning to work out which visor to use. My original helmet had a retractable Sun visor that could be dropped down while riding. Now I've got two separate visors that need to be swapped while off the bike (and obviously stored somewhere if you travel with it).

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

lo1 this thread is like our own quiet peaceful protest :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

3... 2... 1...

I voted for Trump.

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I voted for Trump.

Me too. Is America "great again"™ yet?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I would have, but they wouldn't let me. >:(

I'm not saying Trump is a good candidate, but Hillary is worse.

We all need to work on fixing our political systems so instead of picking the lesser evil of the elite, we can pick the best person for the job.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I agree. I hope Trump does well by the American people and makes advances to clean up political corruption. One can only hope...

Also:

bamccaig said:

I would have, but they wouldn't let me. >:(

Why wouldn't they let you?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Something about, "you're not from here!"

Also I don't think there's much hope left for him to do a good job. I haven't been paying much attention, but what I've heard so far has been pretty bad.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

• Trump lies five ways to Monday about everything (important and unimportant).

• Trump did not give up ownership his businesses and continues to financially benefit from them. (For crying out loud, Jimmy Carter relinquished his *peanut farm* and then was investigated for it).

• Trump's anti-Muslim ban is unconstitutional.

• Trump removed the Joint Chief of Staffs and Director of National Intelligence from resident positions in the Principals Committee, while having the grossly underqualified Bannon have a permanent seat.

• Trump has removed protections for transgender students being able to use the bathroom of their gender in schools.

• Betsy Devos has no experience in education, yet is chosen and confirmed to lead the Department of Education. She clearly is for privatizations and has a vendetta against public schools. (I actually listened to her confirmation hearing. It's very clear. Did any of you?)

• Jeff Sessions has recused himself from investigations into Trump's campaign; he lied under oath about Russian contacts; and he has a force against civil rights during his political career. (Again, I listened to his his confirmation hearing and followed up on claims made by the Senators questioning him. He is not an 'egalitarian', as his fellows claimed.)

• Michael Flynn had to resign because of his Russian connections during the campaign.

• Rex Tillerson is incredibly supportive of Russia; he is against sanctions and has lobbied for Russian interests in past. (Actually listened to the confirmation hearing, again).

These are off the top of my head.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

Ah, my bad. I didn't know you lived in Canada. Is it true that they sell milk in bags there? :o

Trump's anti-Muslim ban is unconstitutional.

How so?

Quote:

Trump has removed protections for transgender students being able to use the bathroom of their gender in schools.

That should be a state issue, in my opinion.

Quote:

Betsy Devos has no experience in education, yet is chosen and confirmed to lead the Department of Education. She clearly is for privatizations and has a vendetta against public schools. (I actually listened to her confirmation hearing. It's very clear. Did any of you?)

I agree with you there.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

• Trump has removed protections for transgender students being able to use the bathroom of their gender in schools.

Which one? This I don't think begs mentioning since it's not necessarily bad.

I also don't think having "Russian" ties or being generally supportive of cooperation with Russia is in itself a bad thing. Sounds like a good thing to me. Of course, bad things could be done with it.

I think it's already been mentioned, but Trump's election is the counter-assault in response to extremist social justice warriors that are trying to make the world cater to the whims of professional victims and mentally ill people. Hillary Clinton might as well have been the Queen of the SJWs.

Append:

Is it true that they sell milk in bags there? :o

Yes! That's all I knew growing up!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Trump's anti-Muslim ban is unconstitutional.

That's some anti-Muslim ban... It has no effect on the other 87% of Muslims not from those 7 countries!

Quote:

Trump has removed protections for transgender students being able to use the bathroom of their gender in schools.

In reality all he's done is said that the Federal Government will no longer be providing guidance on the issue and will instead defer the power back to states... which is absolutely where it needs to be.

Quote:

Jeff Sessions has recused himself from investigations into Trump's campaign; he lied under oath about Russian contacts; and he has a force against civil rights during his political career. (Again, I listened to his his confirmation hearing and followed up on claims made by the Senators questioning him. He is not an 'egalitarian', as his fellows claimed.)

I listened to his confirmation hearing too! I thought it was quite obvious that Sen. Franken's question was specific to Sessions being in contact with the Russians in his capacity as a surrogate on the Trump campaign. The fact that he met with the Russian ambassador twice in his capacity as a Senator is not really surprising. I think one of those times he actually met twenty or so ambassadors at once, one of whom was the Russian ambassador. I suppose his answer could have been better had he qualified it with a statement that he had no contact with the ambassador as a Trump surrogate... but oh well. I don't think he's done anything criminal in this situation so he'll probably not be forced out.

Quote:

Michael Flynn had to resign because of his Russian connections during the campaign.

Well, actually, he had to resign because he lied about his contact with the Russian ambassador to Mike Pence, who then went and repeated the lie to the American public. If he had been honest and said "Yeah, Kislyak and I did discuss Pres. Obama's sanctions." then he would still be in office today.

I either agree with your other points or don't know enough about the situation to comment.

That being said, here's a couple more points that I disagree with Trump on:

• He won't release his tax returns

• He kicked CNN, the NY Times, and a bunch of other news orgs out of the press pool

• He's upping the military budget by $54bn

bamccaig said:

I would have, but they wouldn't let me.

Pfft... that didn't stop me 8-)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

bamccaig said:

We all need to work on fixing our political systems so instead of picking the lesser evil of the elite, we can pick the best person for the job.

Also worth considering: proportional representation. In the simple case where we have two candidates and about half the population voting for each, they work together on an equal footing. In reality you'd have many more candidates and many more places.

Aaron, welcome back! But why get involved in politics again? You know this community will never agree on these things ;)

I have a question for you. What do you make of Reuters? They claim to try to report everything objectively, even going so far as to avoid referring to people as 'terrorists' since one person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. I'm naturally desperate for a news source that I can really trust.

Here's one glowing endorsement for Reuters (you can choose whether to watch it, I don't mind at all):

video

TL;DR: Reuters used an accurate headline of "Oregon mass shooting survivor posts account of blood, pain and healing", while many other outlets made "Shooter acted 'like he was playing a video game' " the focus of their headlines, when it was just a side-comment to describe the shooter's nonchalance.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: