Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

The next best thing to visiting South Africa would be to buy allegro.za. We gotta increase Allegro's global reach, people!

Edit
Oops... That makes 1000 replies. Anything broken? ???

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

1001?

Perhaps it'll spin over at 1024.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Allegro.cc done broke. (I totally didn't edit the CSS...) :o

{"name":"allegrobrokenforum.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e909baad06d4680397028c7a1f505e69.png","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e909baad06d4680397028c7a1f505e69"}allegrobrokenforum.png

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"610800","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/27bd01443a52bf68d93c6e606c73a772.gif","w":503,"h":342,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/27bd01443a52bf68d93c6e606c73a772"}610800

^ Us after all these years of hard work on this thread. >:(

It shows that despite all the failed Monday projects, we can come through on something! >:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Anyone say Monday project? I'm in!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

But mere massive multiplayer is so outdated, let's do something that adds VR and AR this time!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I'm not playing unless I have to wear a headset.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

What about an utility toolkit library for game development which would be the basis for an editor à la Unity/Ue4/GameMaker where multiple scripting languages are integrated (lua, python, whatever people like) which supports different levels of expertise - from visual programming for newbies to bare-metal coding where the editor would only really help with project organisation and creating builds for all the platforms we want to support.

I think if we all put our minds to it, this could be done in a monday or two. Everything is built using Allegro ofc.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What if I told you... the forum... was the game?

{"name":"Matrix-Morpheus.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d75b1c8e7ceece84642abb9fb889df6c.jpg","w":500,"h":303,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d75b1c8e7ceece84642abb9fb889df6c"}Matrix-Morpheus.jpg

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The drinking game.

{"name":"bobanddoug570.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38f82606a048ce2a0597bc84b7a07bc6.gif","w":570,"h":321,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38f82606a048ce2a0597bc84b7a07bc6"}bobanddoug570.gif

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Is the objective of the drinking game to become the most drunk or the least drunk?

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Whomever can drink the most without passing out (or spewing)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

DanielH, do you think it's possible to get spanners shaped like your avatar?

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Okay, let's do this.

video

-----sig:

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

If you got through the cartoon version, try the live action version :)

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Wow, that one takes the disgusting cake...

video

Sandlot.

[edit] Ahaha I just remembered Stand By Me as well.

video

-----sig:

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Love 'em :)

Then there's always Mr Creosote:

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I wanted to reply to a thread with zero replies, but it was locked.
Ironically, the thread complaining about thread locks was also locked, so I couldn't add my complaint there.

Even more ironically, the thread requesting the removal of thread locking has yet to lock, thus proving that thread locking is still valid and that threads simply have to be interesting enough for them to persist on the a.cc forums.

And now, a haiku:
All we are is dust
In the wind, so too do threads
Lock ever too soon

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Oh BTW, Bitcoin has just reached a new all-time-high:

{"name":"610803","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/4\/14061cbbc715ea880019beb01faf5632.png","w":996,"h":377,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/4\/14061cbbc715ea880019beb01faf5632"}610803

That was earlier, too, now it's at 1.211 :o

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I wish I had bitcoins, but I don't. I have no idea what 1.211 means. Is that thousands of USD?! Or just 1.211 USD? I've never found a marketplace that I was able to get into, and trusted. The thought of putting too much investment in the cloud is also concerning since I don't have a very thorough backup process and I could see losing the entire wallet due to hardware failure or luser error.

Of course, the off-topic boards have always been the most lively hang out spot for the community. Turns out a lot of us don't spend much time programming games. Especially now. Which is probably OK. I think there's value in the community that has formed, even what's left of it. A lot of the newbie questions have been beaten to death. What I do find interesting is that there does seem to be quite a few Allegro 5 questions, but there's relatively few people with the expertise to answer them i.e., boards can't be active with on-topic posts because few people have that knowledge. Arguably, it's Allegro 5 that killed this forum, regardless of its technical merits. I think it has seen increased adoption though so I think it's a slowly recovering crash instead of an extinction.

It's also worth noting that this thread has survived largely due to the inactivity of the boards and moderators. If this was a thriving place and moderators were on alert this thread probably would have been locked ages ago.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

1000 mBTC = 1 Bitcoin

1 Bitcoin = $1,200 USD

--

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Anyone here own bitcoins? If I were offered one bitcoin for something, what would I have to pay to receive and own it? Some registration fee?

Btw, only 3 posts to 1024.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bitcoins are just a virtual currency. You'd trade for them, either with money or whatever commodity that the trader wanted (virtual or real, money or material). If you were "offered" a bitcoin you would likely already know what you owed for it: whatever product or service was requested. In any case, the idea of the system is that it's peer-to-peer. You generate a "wallet" using cryptographic algorithms in the software and the network tracks transactions to and from that wallet using peer-to-peer based cryptographic operations. The idea being that only the holder of a "wallet's" cryptographic secrets can make transactions for that wallet, and the validity of any transaction is verified by the network of peers (to keep everybody honest). There's no registration fee because nobody owns it.

However, the hard thing is getting involved at all. Bitcoins started out as a rare commodity awarded to those that could answer complicated mathematical problems. The only way to solve them was "mining" which meant lots of computer horsepower working to beat the next guy to the answer. That's just the system devised to initialize the market more or less.

The only other way to acquire bitcoins other than mining is to buy or trade them with people that already have them. Therein lies the problem. Finding a safe way to make the trade, while gambling on the value of the virtual currency itself whose so called value is subject to market influences not entirely predictable. Various "hubs" try to operate as a so-called "bank" which pretty much just means they're willing to trade bitcoins for real world currency. Of course, due to the nature of bitcoins themselves, you're really at their mercy. Essentially, you hand them real world money, and then they're supposed to send you bitcoins via a computer transaction that no government or bank can police. You can imagine how this can go wrong.

As with most investments there's nothing inherently safe about bitcoins.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I wish I had some money last year to buy AMD stock at a mere <$2.00. Yesterday it was over $14/share.

-----sig:

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

This is post # 0b10000000000.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Go to: