Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I wrote post #500. We have 50 to go to get to 1k. We should make it special. Who do you think earns the honour?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

You can pet a robot dog and throw sticks for it to fetch in Valve's The Lab demo. But I agree it's a bit pricey at the moment to get into, especially if your computer is not up to par and you need to upgrade that as well.

I played around with a game prototype I had made in Unity from before, where you can drive around different vehicles in a small city. In an hour I had VR implemented in the game and could walk around these pretty massive buildings, and drive around in a vehicle. It was easier to cope with the locomotion when sitting down on the floor when driving though :)

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm a bit ignorant on the happenings of VR, to be honest. Can you even move around freely in VR? I've seen a few VR demos on YouTube, and in most of them you just point where you'd like to move, and then it teleports you there. That is not my idea of fun movement. I've seen others where you can move around freely though. I'm not sure which VR "solution" offered what though.

I've also heard that many people become sick due to the disassociation from their VR movements and real-life movements. I wonder how that will be tackled in the long run.

Finally, I read an article a few months prior about people contracting eye herpes from VR demos. That's enough to steer me clear of trying any demos. :o

[EDIT]
Here is a link to an article talking about contracting ocular herpes from VR headsets.

Also, doesn't it seem silly for companies and individuals to make non-first-person games for VR? Third-person games or 2D games, for example, seem totally pointless on VR, because instead of experiencing the game from the eyes of one of the characters, you suddenly become just a floating camera (which might work well for "god games").

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I'm a bit ignorant on the happenings of VR, to be honest. Can you even move around freely in VR? I've seen a few VR demos on YouTube, and in most of them you just point where you'd like to move, and then it teleports you there. That is not my idea of fun movement. I've seen others where you can move around freely though. I'm not sure which VR "solution" offered what though.

Depends on the game implementation. Both Oculus and Vive supports teleportation, locomotion and everything inbetween. And both have room scale, so you can move your body within the area you set up in your room and it will translate into the game.

Quote:

I've also heard that many people become sick due to the disassociation from their VR movements and real-life movements. I wonder how that will be tackled in the long run.

Yeah, it depends on how easy you get seasick for example. You often need to get your "sea legs" when using locomotion, so the more you play the less affected you get.

Quote:

Finally, I read an article a few months prior about people contracting eye herpes from VR demos. That's enough to steer me clear of trying any demos.

Hehe, I have never heard of that. If you're really worried, don't let anyone else use your gear then.

Quote:

Also, doesn't it seem silly for companies and individuals to make non-first-person games for VR? Third-person games or 2D games, for example, seem totally pointless on VR, because instead of experiencing the game from the eyes of one of the characters, you suddenly become just a floating camera (which might work well for "god games").

Yes, some game types don't translate well. But VR is also an opportunity to invent new genres and game types I think. And nothing beats the immersion, so even if you're just a camera looking down on a playfield, say a god game where you can control minions - the physics of it brings so much more to the gameplay and enjoyment, like holding an item in your hand and it translates and rotates with your every hand movement. It's VERY cool.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

... even if you're just a camera looking down on a playfield, say a god game where you can control minions - the physics of it brings so much more to the gameplay and enjoyment...

I want to try this. Looking around in 1:1 first-person space is one thing, but head-tracked camera movement applied to top-down camera angles is entirely different. The former brings new complications to the table, but the latter would be an improvement in every regard (provided the player has a working neck).

I imagine a virtual tabletop would make this an intuitive interface, like Warhammer but with living, breathing pieces.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I just bought a cardboard VR set for 9.90 €. What a funny gadget.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

We are number one

But it's BamBam on drums and Dr. Leverton on vocals

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Come on people, don't let this die unless it gets to at least 1K posts. 43 to go.

I can feel Matthew is waiting for post 999 to happen so he can post something hilarious as post 1000.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ML is more likely to close the thread at 998. :P That's right, I said it. >:(

In any case, I agree, do not let it die now. This thread better be around for my grandchildren.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I made popcorn on the stove tonight. But I didn't use enough oil, so some of the it burned. :'(

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Burnt popcorn is a horrible smell.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Indeed. The scent lingers for hours.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

bamccaig said:

ML is more likely to close the thread at 998. :P That's right, I said it. >:(

Shh! Don't give him any ideas!

Chalk another one up! Raaaagh!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Posting for prosperity!

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Posing our posteriors?

I uploaded a piano concerto :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Posteriors? Now that's a topic I can really get behind. ;)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I made popcorn on the stove tonight. But I didn't use enough oil, so some of the it burned. :'(

I once made popcorn using the grease left over from frying a pound of bacon.

Don't do that.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Quote:

Don't do that.

8a2a7d58e5e5dd67edfdf2ec69f301f901255e0e.jpg {"name":"S-and-T-07.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/6\/c6bf8a0f6bb662a8a1b0fc474c82ada9.jpg","w":1001,"h":766,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/6\/c6bf8a0f6bb662a8a1b0fc474c82ada9"}S-and-T-07.jpg

Is it just me that sees the similarity? :)

Character comes from this show:

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"610795","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/eb1c8d43b4465aa96e080f4887f53283.gif","w":470,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/eb1c8d43b4465aa96e080f4887f53283"}610795

Valentine's Day

No, actually, my finacee caught a bad case of what the ER doctor figured is the flu. We skipped out on our plans, and had a rough rest of the week. We're both still fighting it with no end in sight. I can't even drink alcohol! Aside from trying to keep our fevers in check, the beer doesn't taste right and I can't drink it down fast enough. :'(

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Is my thread in depot locked? I press "Post Reply" and nothing happens, page refreshes, unlikely here in this topic...

Or it's anti double posting security feature?

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Your thread is open :) Here's a locked thread for comparison.

You're right, you can't double-post, because we abused it decades ago (note that the rapid-fire posts in that thread became reordered in a database import so you're not seeing the original order). What you can do is edit your post and then click 'Send to Top' if you want to. :)

(See, it paid off that we kept this thread open, didn't it 8-) )

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Thanks Bruce Perry. All clear now.

Yep, paid off. This topic feels like this is some sort of ancient cavemen campfire that everyone keeps for centuries.

Got my share of fire today :)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

There were 972 replies before I posted, so this is reply 973, post 974. After this, there are 26 to go. That's as many as there are letters in the alphabet. Perhaps a game can be derived from that observation? :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

(A)bsolutely. I'm doing my part.

[edit] Looking through that thread. Man, we sure talked like teenagers... then again I was like... 15. So many people I miss...

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

(B)ut are we going to be able to keep this going without the thread locking up on us?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Go to: