Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yesterday my finacee and I learned how to make homemade pasta sauce. Aside from being a bit watery, the result was very promising. However, now my wrist is killing me and I suspect it's a result of stirring the sauce for an hour or so... As a programmer, obviously any wrist pain worries me considerably...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I've just removed about 7000 lines of the most horrible, very old code from my project. Deleting something can feel so rewarding. 8-)

bamccaig said:

stirring the sauce for an hour or so

:o What kind of pasta sauce was that?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's supposed to cook all night ideally (the longer the better), but we only cooked it for 6 or 7 hours give or take... We were visiting her aunt and uncle who taught us the process. So naturally we didn't want to leave our pot of sauce as a burden to their kitchen... I stirred for an hour as we prepared it in parts and tried to get it boiling... It took about that long to prepare all the batches (remember, we made about 14 litres and the tools were not as large as the pot). I stirred it primarily to avoid burning it to the bottom of the pot... Lucky I did because even stirring the entire time the heat was above minimum we still ended up with a somewhat charred bottom to the pot.. Fortunately, it was a thin layer and it came off pretty easily... Otherwise, you might as well throw the pot away. Alas, it appears to be an aluminum pot so it isn't quite as strong or heat tolerant as we might prefer. Her aunt has a heavy "steel" pot that is probably better suited to the job. In any case, it should be pretty similar to an Italian sauce, but if there are any residents from the "homeland" (i.e., Italy) present (I seem to recall a few) your own perspective is welcome...

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

bamccaig said:

Yesterday my finacee and I learned how to make homemade pasta sauce. Aside from being a bit watery, the result was very promising.

I started taking Taekwondo recently and they're having a speghetti sauce competition. I registered to enter a sauce, as I've made a number of great sauces in the past and figured I'd have a shot. Apparently there's a trophy :o

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

One of my most productive days was throwing away 1,000 lines of code.

By my math, Polybios is seven times more productive than Ken Thompson.

Also, there are certain exercises to build up wrist strength at the computer. Everyone here should look into them.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

bamccaig said:

aluminum

It's aluminium, even in America ;)

Quote:

spaghetti source

FTFY :)[1]

Quote:

math

s ;D

References

1. Both words actually, although I didn't notice the error in the first until I copied and pasted it for the quote :P

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

I vote we drop this thread! ;D

Possible flame war, but don't pluralize math!

'math' is short for mathematics not mathematic.

Saying maths is like saying mathematicses

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Well, I prefer sulphur, and the same people who standardised the scientific community on 'aluminium' also apparently standardised on 'sulfur' at the same time. Can't win 'em all. :-/

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

+1 to "maths" is annoying. >:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

DanielH said:

'math' is short for mathematics not mathematic.

I never thought of it that way.

... and with that, this thread has imparted upon me its first nugget of information.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Stirring 14 liters for several hours :o ... There has to be a better way.
{"name":"GastonSoupeDessin.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/a\/da2305417f55f3faa542edb955f57f5d.jpg","w":606,"h":442,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/a\/da2305417f55f3faa542edb955f57f5d"}GastonSoupeDessin.jpg

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

You guys sure know how to have fun :-X

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

{"name":"C_71_article_1596439_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg_","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/e\/1e8b80c924d0794ed51630accc8a8eac.jpg","w":1023,"h":681,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/e\/1e8b80c924d0794ed51630accc8a8eac"}C_71_article_1596439_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg_

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Gaston! He's not getting enough mentions in memes I think.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I suppose you prefer selphies too. :)

Cringe! ;D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I suppose you prefer selphies too. :)

Cringe! ;D

Who's Gaston?

[EDIT]
Oh that's exciting! It took so long to post that I was able to expand the post and post it again before the original post page went away. So that's how to double post! :D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

DOUBLE THREAD LOCK STOPPING POWERRRR!!

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Google for: Gaston Lagaffe. In dutch it's Guust Flater

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Elias's birthday thread brought me to this:

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Bruce: yes, it was ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Go to: