Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Damn, this Bushmill's is good!

append

Oops, sorry. I broke the 500. I must be drunk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

For whatever reason, it seems I haven't backed a failed project yet (in terms of funding, so they at least got their money)

Currently, I only received two. Of the four left, two are games, and they're both way over due.

You and me...have different definitions of "failed project". :-/ Technically if a Kickstarter project doesn't meet its timeline then it has failed. If it happens to finish at all on the originally donated money most contributors will probably be happy,... If it doesn't finish or it requires additional funding not in the original plan then it's a failure without question. Time is malleable, but only so much. If it takes them too long the backers will have long forgotten about it and odds are the output will be outdated before it's released...

Unless like some they make millions and deliver fuck all and come back asking for more. I digress... Who here is stupid enough to contribute to Feminist propaganda? ???

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Extrapolating, I'll have a 200% success rate backing Kickstarters in a couple years.

Seeing as this is a new page, it reminds me I also want to use this video as a reply (somewhere) at some point:

video

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

jmasterx said:

You're grammar is repulsive.

Its not mine :)

video

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Agh my stomach hurts now! :D

Has anyone here invested in a Kickstarter project?

I've backed Free software on Indiegogo... which was basically a platform for donating, now that I think about it. I opted out of having a prize sent, as I wished such money to be used to fund development.

... When's Allegro going to do something like that?

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Has anyone here invested in a Kickstarter project?

Two times. One time for "at the gates", which got funded. I have high hopes, but it is still vaporware at this point.

The other time was ChemCaper, an educational chemistry-based RPG. It got funded and I played halfway through the android version. It's an interesting thing from an educational perspective, but it falls short from a pure game / fun perspective.

There are a couple of kickstarter projects I wish I had backed :) FTL for example, would have been totally worth it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Almost all of my kickstarter projects were either:

- Vaporware. (Interstellar Marines)

- I've lost interest waiting 5-6 years for the concept to come out. By time they do come out, I don't even care. (War for the Overworld, Galactic Princess, Project Zomboid)

Kickstarter has become a scam that lets consumers fit all of the risk while businesses use consumer money to merely raise a round of funding before selling out to a corporation. It's also allowed people who have NO BUSINESS being developers put together a snazzy video and grab money but they have no experience or the fortitude required to complete a game.

Yooka-Laylee is looking to be a rare gem. FTL was amazing but I didn't back it at the time.

Nowadays, unless I'm fine giving away free money, I only back things that have experienced, proven developers at the helm. I backed Kingdom Come: Deliverance and it's looking amazing. I also strongly support the developer's anti-PC stances. (He grew up in an actual communist regime and is strongly opposed to modern liberals who undermine the freedom of speech and open debate.)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I totally have contributed to IM. I forget how though (E-mail searches for kickstarter turn up nothing). They have made a game and it is available on Steam, and you should have a license if you have contributed... It's more of a deathmatch shooter right now though, I think. They have also made various demos... Yes, it's coming up quite short of what we want, but I digress. The only thing that pisses me off is that it's based on Unity or something and the Linux performance is atrocious! I'm lucky to get 3 or 5 FPS.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Kickstarter has become a scam that lets consumers fit all of the risk while businesses use consumer money to merely raise a round of funding before selling out to a corporation

I think this is not different from what it was in the beginning. Kickstarter is an alternative means to venture capital, but the goal is no different, it never was.

Quote:

Nowadays, unless I'm fine giving away free money, I only back things that have experienced, proven developers at the helm.

Of course this is always good advice, right from the beginning of kickstarter.

I think you're seeing Kickstarter as having moved away from its humble beginnings. Perhaps instead, you perceived a rosy glow at the start that has worn off.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I find I return to Kickstarter after not visiting for a while, and the projects I want to fund have been locked! Can we extend the lock timeout?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think you're seeing Kickstarter as having moved away from its humble beginnings. Perhaps instead, you perceived a rosy glow at the start that has worn off.

That's true of me, sure. But the point I'm making is how the market has adapted to exploit it. It's such a viable revenue stream that "to kickstart" has become a new verb that everyone knows. A household brand name. Friends, extended-family, and almost-strangers have talked about "kickstarting" projects, and they never would normally fund a venture using someone else's money. It's not as intimidating as going to a proper investor, some big banker guy behind a desk who can call your phone and ask about your progress, it's just random people online without a face.

Ant Simulator canceled after crowdfunding money spent on liquor and strippers

Now this doesn't mean everyone is exploiting it (in the bad sense of the word). Professionals, and hard-working new-comers with modest expectations can succeed. But too often people under-estimate the cost, time, and pain it takes to complete a game and Kickstarter is the next generation of technology that makes it appear less intimidating than it should be.

I've discussed with family/friends my strategy for a Kickstarter. I would self-fund at least 50% of the game before going to Kickstarter. (If the game isn't worth my money, than it isn't worth anyone elses.) Then, use Kickstarter money to refund my investment as well as fund the rest of the development using my past work as a certain guarantee of quality, expectations, and commitment on my part.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"cyanide-and-happiness.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/6\/86cf458e83f16dd393759b5e7eddaf40.jpg","w":640,"h":360,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/6\/86cf458e83f16dd393759b5e7eddaf40"}cyanide-and-happiness.jpg

I like liquor and strippers. :D

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

#Leverton2016
#MakeAmericaCodeAgain

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ant Simulator canceled after crowdfunding money spent on liquor and strippers

Ha, that's a good one.

I think I generally agree with you.

Here is a different way of looking at it. Kickstarter is also a bit like a church collection to help a community member, except it's not for a local community. I'm sure you could find examples of abuse of these types of collections that are at least as bad as the one you linked to :)

But you make a good point about the anonymity of it all. That makes it easier to exploit. I guess with kickstarter you have be extra careful compared to your local church collection

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Liquor and strippers are the last thing I'd waste my money on. Pretty much paying to defile yourself, probably okay in the short run, worst choice in the long run.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

But you make a good point about the anonymity of it all. That makes it easier to exploit. I guess with kickstarter you have be extra careful compared to your local church collection

You make it sound like church members know where their money goes. ???

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

When you start thinking about the word 'church' - especially if you're British and the 'ur' is just a uniform vowel sound without a distinctive 'r' tone to it - what you end up with is two 'ch' sounds with a blurry nothingy sound in between them. Is it just me that thinks that's funny?

I had a Greek colleague whose 'ch' sound wasn't right and sounded more like 'ts'. So he would say 'tsuhts'.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Thou shall not lock >:(

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

It's all right, we were going to come back after TINS :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

That is.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

That is what? ;)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

After TINS, coming back we are.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

So you mean something like "That is true"? What would you have said in French where you said "That is"? Presumably not just "C'est" :)

Anyone else suffering a post-TINS crash of sorts? I think I slept around 3 p.m. and woke up around 10, and now it's 1 a.m. and I feel a bit aimless. Then again, my plan was to go to bed again around now and be fit for work in the morning, so maybe I'll be able to sleep again soon :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yea, I spent the day just laying about the house, catching up on stuff.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Bruce: c'est ça ^^

Go to: