Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

You shouldn't search for tuba, should do "Euphonium" or "Baritone".

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

A baritone in Eb? The tuba I have is in Eb, though it has a 4th valve, which Gull's horn hasn't.

In Finland, tenor horns, baritone horns and euphoniums are in Bb. Tubas are in Eb. Some are in Bb (an octave below the baritone), and rarely in C.

edit

I just checked what Wikipedia says. Seems euphonium is the largest Bb horn, with an additional 4th valve. Baritone is narrower but still Bb and usually 3 valve. Tenor is higher, in Eb. As I mentioned, in Finland, baritone, tenor and euphonium are all same Bb horns, but with different bore. Baritone in Finland is what euphonium in USA is, I think.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I was wondering how you measure a tuba in mebibytes :)

video

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones bought a French tuba. In MiB.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Thanks Johan. That's rocking information :-D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It looks to me like a good ole Bb Baritone Horn. Even though I'm 99% sure, I can't know exactly unless I had the model number?

It plays in the same range and clef(s) as a Trombone. So you could just as easily search for music for Trombone. You'll find a lot more literature under Trombone. :)

Tuba parts read in the same clef, but the range is much lower.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Mark, are you asking my tuba or Johan's one serial number?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Our baritonist only reads treble cleff. Only the French hornist reads any cleff in any transposing key. His pupil, a young girl, reads pretty well both Eb and F scores. I've only learnt to play trombone bass cleff parts on a baritone sax.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

What's the problem reading sheets ? I don't understand. I read sheets on the same key the instrument I use is. Else I made a transposition.

Our saxe is in MiB, my trump is in SiB en the piano and the guitar in DO
Playing the tuba will be easier as I'll not have to transcode common parts, it's a MiB.

In short, I have a Sib and a Mib at disposition to help.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The Bb baritone/euphonium parts in an orchestra score might be written in non transposing bass clef or in transposing treble clef. The alto horn parts might be written in Eb or F, Eb for alto horn and F for French horn. In our orchestra we have only one baritone horn, which is common in smaller wind bands. But we have four alto horns, actually two Eb altos and two F French horns. The best sheet music providers provide all sorts of parts. Non transposing tuba in bass clef, transposing tuba in treble clef, either for Bb tuba or for Eb tuba, both Eb and F alto parts, and the both kind of parts for the baritone/euphonium. But then again, some providers only provide say F alto parts. That's when I have to rewrite the parts and transpose them for the two Eb alto horn players, who don't transpose on the fly. Whereas the F French horn players are better in transposing. The French horn is a weird double horn instrument. The 4th valve turns it into a Bb horn, same tuning as in the baritone horn.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Nice. I have to try that 4 valve thing one of those day. When I'll be better at it ;-p

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Nice. I have to try that 4 valve thing one of those day. When I'll be better at it ;-p

I just had flashbacks to college and trying to come up with new internal combustion engine designs...

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

At the time when 4 valves per cylinder became popular and cars with I6 engines had "24 valve" signs on the rear, my brother had a Citroën 2CV. I thought of getting one of those "24 valve" signs, cut the "2" out an put on the Citroën. He sold the car, which was a shame. He had done great work on it to get it in shape. 2CV is one of the finest cars ever built. Says everyone, who knows it.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Is Allegro popular in India?

I ask because there are some new members, all from India:

• Llaldler laldler

• Cluchom Cluchom

• Engdelryn Engdelryn

• Thoocum hoocum

• Estrothskel strothskel

• Rhysulnys hysulnys

• Titonath itonath

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Man, these looks like generated usernames :-p

EDIT: Johan: I loved 2cv. My dad once had a 'Katar', which was basically a pumped 2cv with 4 motorized tires and a claws gear.

I couldn't find any link in English, but if you love 2cv you have to check these:
- wikipedia about katar: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIFTT_Katar
- facebook page (for photos :-) ) https://www.facebook.com/Katar-4x4-131571083545786/

The one I had was like the one in the following page, and it was a finisher at the real Dakar competition. It had two tanks of oil and water tank for the driver/co driver. It was exactly the same red one as the one in the page. Haaa, souvenirs !!!
Here: http://www.nobug.be/KATAR/Histoire.html

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Then there was this Picassoesque 2CV:

{"name":"picasso210607_468x296.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/1\/d1f45ac76b164ec1a4cd3f88327f3f37.jpg","w":468,"h":296,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/1\/d1f45ac76b164ec1a4cd3f88327f3f37"}picasso210607_468x296.jpg

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

It's a gorgeous one, nice work !

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

video

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Good song, and just with coppers ! They really play well.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I want that colorful car.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Console > PC

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Consoul > Console

video

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

That is a masterpiece. I am glad I watched.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Go to: