Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Everything is going fine Bruce, no worry ;-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I haven't driven in 4 years. Totally know what you mean.

Where do you live? I want to move there! Right now I have to endure the hell of Columbus downtown traffic twice every single day and it's killing me :(

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Toronto :)

Before that I was in Macau.

I recommend both places. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I regularly have to endure traffic too - by which I mean being a pedestrian or a cyclist in an environment where these smelly brutes are constantly threatening me with their incessant roars, and I can't even relieve the stress by taking a deep breath because of the 'smelly' part. There are islands here and there where cars are banned, and I might have to move to one of those when circumstances permit ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

where these smelly brutes are constantly threatening me

Haha, that's exactly what I think of cars. I really miss the time when I would take a train to work. But for some reason I cannot even begin to understand they dismantled the Columbus train station about 20 years ago and removed all passenger trains. Now it's cars and only cars to get anywhere :(

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"610208","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9bb67c1e0946bf5e9025bf075dedcc4f.jpg","w":420,"h":286,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9bb67c1e0946bf5e9025bf075dedcc4f"}610208

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Elias said:

I really miss the time when I would take a train to work.

Love public transit. I take it each day to work, and each day I get on during rush hour. Both the subway car and street car that I have to get on are completely packed... like... you're standing literally right next to everybody.

Something like this every day.
{"name":"packed-bus-home-1263x560.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/0\/c0414503712ef1bd91f260c2144010f2.jpg","w":1263,"h":560,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/0\/c0414503712ef1bd91f260c2144010f2"}packed-bus-home-1263x560.jpg

But I still prefer it to driving. No contest. :)

Quote:

Now it's cars and only cars to get anywhere :(

America. :-/

Combine that automobile lifestyle with health care costs, student loan debt, TV advertising, unhealthy food, and locked cell phones, and that makes up all the reasons I never want to go back. And Americans are so proud of their cars, too. Sales of Hummers spiked up when the cost of oil dropped. It's just stupid.

You should come to Canada. ;)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Also, Canada is one of the few places that benefits from global warming.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Canada does not benefit from global warming... >:( It's likely going to ruin this beautiful land that we live on for decades if not centuries, and probably will turn the entire planet towards violent wars fighting for remaining resources...

I never got a chance to experience Toronto's public transit because I was only in the city for hours or a night each time, but I can say that the city itself seems like a terrible place to live. At least, downtown. It smelled like shit on the street, literally. That improved once you headed North though.

Taxi drivers were crazy. And from the looks of things, subways/trains only covered a tiny fraction of the city so you would be forced to resort to buses and maybe "street cars" (I have no idea what the street car routes are like, but I didn't notice any tracks outside of downtown).

It was an exciting place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. You'd have to pay me handsomely to do it... Let alone to raise a family there. Jesus.

I love driving. I can understand hating driving if you live in a major city area where traffic is crazy. In my city it's not that bad. Lots of bad drivers, but you can generally avoid them if you're careful (knock on wood). I'm not opposed to public transit. I think it makes a lot of sense to poor resources and share the energy. However, I don't want to spend an hour or two commuting to work every day either, let alone jumping between rides to get there because a particular mechanism doesn't go all the way. I think it would also bother me being surrounded by so many people. I mean, people can be great, but as great as they can be they can also be unbearable and you can be stuck dealing with them every single day.

As an aside, another really fun way to drive, albeit more dangerous, is riding a motorcycle. Again, you don't want to do this where it's ridiculously complex or busy like Toronto. But it's a lot of fun.

Mark, depending on your personality you may love it more in Northern Ontario. It's quieter. There's less to do, and public transit is much less, but there's also clean air and treeeees. Driving isn't so bad up here. It's the best way to get around. I drive about 8 minutes to work each way. For the most part, that is all the driving I have to do on a daily basis with small exceptions for beer, gas, groceries, and the occasional shopping trip or visit. Most things near my apartment so I rarely have to go far. I can cross the city in 15-20 minutes. I ride my motorcycle to work in the summer, and also for leisure occasionally on various routes in or out of the city (there is a shortage of good motorcycle roads, but we make due).

Well, maybe big city life is perfect for you. And that's great. I don't think I could do it. For anybody else considering Canada, Toronto is the exception, not the rule. Toronto is the least Canadian place I've been to in Canada (which isn't saying much, I've only been in Ontario, but I digress). They don't even have gravy in their fucking restaurants, let alone poutine. >:( >:( >:(

Random example of driving in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (short drive to get beer, but few intersections suck...).

video

There are several more videos of my riding my motorcycle that will show you what it's like in other parts of the city, but even our most busy intersection isn't all that bad.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Man made global warming = hoax.

video

Also, how in the heck does a thread about thread locking turn into a global warming debate?!?! LMAO... you guys...

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Way to give yourself credibility. RU SRS? Have you ever seen a chart of the CO2 levels in the industrial age? Do you understand that CO2 traps heat? Do you understand that makes it warmer?

Watch that video, it answers all of that, from credible scientists. And yes, it has a CO2 chart and much more.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Wow, 1600 views since 2011? Obviously a very well received video. We all know the most credible videos disable likes/dislikes too. :P It appears the comments are enabled, but they must be heavily policed because there's zero in 5 years...

Append:

Wikpedia seems to do a decent job of casting doubt on its credibility for us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

It's all right. The bible says global warming can't be an issue, if you know where to look.

There, that should keep the thread going for a while :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Too lazy to make a topic for this, but Alex!

https://vimeo.com/129070031

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Nice find! The Pocket CHIP itself doesn't look so shabby, either.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I can't wait to get mine.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

--

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

If I ever come back to the boards after a busy, miserable life without A.cc, and this thread is locked, you guys all suck.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Donald Trump is the best that has happened to Democrats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I find it impossible that he could win at all. Completely unelectable to anybody who's a Democrat.

The fact that he's "legitimate" says a lot about our country, though.

Look at em, they're already falling in line: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/02/26/christie_endorsement_of_trump_shakes_up_gop_primary_129800.html

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I just bought a trump (tuba) . A good one, not a Donald Trump ;D

{"name":"610218","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/9\/b9a8ee750bdab37dd640a5425326e373.jpg","w":3120,"h":4160,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/9\/b9a8ee750bdab37dd640a5425326e373"}610218

By the way, threads are locking too soon !!

>:(

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

We should play something together. I have an E♭ tuba at home. And a trombone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That's a Baritone! Hey that's not a bad one, Besson makes good horns. :)

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Tomorow the internet provider come to put my cable. Maybe in some few weeks I will have a reliable connection, and then play with you all :-D

I played it a few during the day. It's smooth and enjoyable. It's in MiB. My neighborhood told me they hear the tuba more than the trump ^^

Got if for 430 euros. It's a bit used instruments, and the carrying box has lived too, but it still plays good and was affordable.

EDIT: if you have some good and for average player sheets for tuba in MiB, I will happily take them away :-P

Go to: