Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

It's occurred to me that I don't know what my handwriting looks like any more. I scrawl down things in my work notebook etc. but I haven't written out a full page of anything (like a school essay) for years.

Anyone else do 'writing' regularly?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Not me.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I went for years without writing anything by hand. When I picked up a pen for the first time in years my hand began to hurt after only a few words (this was a few years back). I began incorporating note taking into my job and now do a little bit more of that (typically I try to write down what I'm working on and any reminders for the future). I still cannot write anywhere near as long as I have in the past, but it's better. My neatness has also improved since that first time back in the saddle, but I must slow down and consciously try to keep things neat if I don't want it to be sloppy (even so, as my hand gets tired/cramped things just become a barely legible scribble).

All of this is using block letters ("printing," as I was taught in school). I do not write in cursive format anymore. I have always preferred writing in block letters. It's neater and easier to read, IMO. It may not be quite as efficient or easy on the hands though. I'm not sure.

In my youth, a childhood friend and I used to compete with each other to write the smallest in grade 5 where we used to have to write 500-word journal entries in cursive format every day. We used to manage to write very tiny, but still neat. The teacher would review each entry and mark them for neatness and who remembers what else. She used to joke (maybe?) that she needed a magnifying glass to read our writing. I miss that. :-/

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I had award-winning handwriting as a youngster, but the majority of my writing is done through vim now.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I do write by hand sometimes, and I haven't noticed my writing go downhill - or at least if it did, I was able to fix it quite quickly :)

Did this thread slow down because the religious one started? That's it - superstar4410 is trying to DoS our thread! Time for a witch hunt :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

bamccaig said:

When I picked up a pen for the first time in years my hand began to hurt after only a few words

I experienced the same - I had to fill out a lot of forms when applying for my green card, after not having written anything by hand in years. And my hand was hurting after every single form :P

Now the extent of handwriting I do is sign credit card bills. In Europe I only ever used my CC online so never had to sign, so this is new to me. Over here I pay everything with CC, can't even remember when I last needed to use cash. However my signature has degenerated into one straight line and an i dot for my first name and another straight line with an i dot for my last name - so probably doesn't really count as hand-writing.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Did this thread slow down because the religious one started?

I noticed the correlation, as well.

This thread has reminded me that I should apply for a virtual debit card. They are the bee's knees. Generate a temporary credit card number, use it once, and burn it.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I think one should every once in a while write one page of handwriting. I bet it's good for the brain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Quote:

brain

*zombie shambles by* BRRrrrrraaaAAAIIIiiNNNnssss!!! *munch* (the zombie gets eaten by the pig)

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I think the pig is a virus now. Or would it be a worm?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

is a virus now. Or would it be a worm?

It's a pig. ;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Oink Oink!

---
MiquelFire.red

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Remember: If you hear the oink, it's already too late. 🐽

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

And 24 hours later, here we are again, good as new :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Each morning, the sun is here.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Ow! It burns! Close the drapes!

---
MiquelFire.red

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

My handwriting has always been generally poor. I never had any proper schooling growing up and I never wrote an essay until college. Older gents here will even remember that Allegro.CC taught me a great deal of grammar initially. My First Posts Actually Were Written Entirely Like This with completely wrong apostophes, it's/its/there/their/they're and so on. People like X-G and Miran yelled at me which encouraged me to improve.

Anyhow, I love that our society doesn't give a crap about cursive anymore and even handwriting is less essential. However, I'd still like to improve my handwriting... there's something elegant and professional about writing well, and worse still, something uncivilized and unintelligent about someone who cannot write legibly.

I became much better during my college days with all the required writing but it's still far from average. Thing is... I'm not really sure how to do it. Do I buy a book? Are books useful? Do I watch Youtube videos? I don't know. It seems like one of those "hands on" kind of skills where a teacher would be very helpful. It's a practiced skill with a finesse to it, as opposed to a remembered factoid or concept that one can simply Google.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

As kids at school, we must have started with precision. There are specific directions to draw all the strokes, and specific rules for which letters to join up and how to do it, and there are some obvious things to aim for (e.g. line up the tops and bottoms of letters), but otherwise, we just went slowly and got the shapes absolutely right. After that, we just found our own ways to speed up, and some did better than others. I wouldn't say my handwriting is anything special - neither good nor bad.

However, when I wanted to, I did write a little bit like this, using special pens:

{"name":"d1a6c238-e898-4766-849f-914b54ac0956.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6a8562c9638f211298a2b1bd9a44dd40.png","w":1024,"h":714,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6a8562c9638f211298a2b1bd9a44dd40"}d1a6c238-e898-4766-849f-914b54ac0956.png

For example I did this on the fronts of some of my exercise books. I can probably find and scan an actual example later, but it's too late now ;)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

We learned to write neatly in school because if we didn't we'd have to do it all over again. :o If you go slow it's not very difficult to write legibly. Especially with practice. If you write daily you get lots of practice. It all comes down to taking your time. It's hard to do that when you have to write lots in a short amount of time, but if you just want to improve the quality then you can define the quantity to match.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

By the way, we had sessions once where we took a single letter and wrote a whole joined-up line of them. Can't hurt to practise that way if you want to :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I recently noticed that Google Inc now provides the certificate for google.com
{"name":"610142","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ec67a8e84923b3335f2918c7f46d1a5d.png","w":360,"h":76,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ec67a8e84923b3335f2918c7f46d1a5d"}610142
So... isn't that technically a self signed certificate :o

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Google became a CA at some point. That's all.

---
MiquelFire.red

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

anto80
Member #3,230
February 2003

This is really weird.
Thread https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/615908 got locked although last update was on 02-02-2016 11:07

>:( >:( >:(
WHY?

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I think it's the last post date (28th Jan in your case) rather than the last revision date (2nd Feb) :(

[edit] Also I think the 'Just Bored' thread has some potential to be long-lived.
also - has this thread really been running since September?

Go to: