Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

I gave up myself--it was indeed pointless, so I ended it preemptively with an eaty pig. See bottom of my last post. :)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Whoa.. I've been asleep while this thread exploded or something.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Eh, more of a fizzle than a proper explosion. :P

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Dedicated to all the threads that were locked before their time:

video

:'(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

From the comments in the post that GW linked:

Quote:

It's like watching Geocities go away.

True. Who here remembers Geocities? I had a website there, can't remember why or what was on it.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Who here remembers Geocities?

At one time, the Geocities domain comprised at least 10% of my bookmarks... and yet, the Internet felt less centralized back then.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I made a geocities website when I was in 5th grade! Back in 2002. It was a very basic html page that had some of my friends' names on it.

Then everyone started playing Runescape >:(

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

I love how all the comments on the Google Code shutdown post are whiny "noooo please don't do this think of all the projects that will be lost! Waaaahh!!" If it's a project that anyone at all cares about (i.e. Someone actually uses it), there's bound to be copies floating around. And since they're open source...

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You're telling me the Google code has been available all this time?!

{"name":"XWOuu8G.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/d\/edb3615168441f72356fc7c1a6ca71b9.gif","w":480,"h":360,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/d\/edb3615168441f72356fc7c1a6ca71b9"}XWOuu8G.gif

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

The "*boosh* mind blown" meme really annoys me now for some reason... I guess because TV advertisers have picked up on it, which is usually around the time memes earn "dead horse" status. :P

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I've never seen it before, and I like it. Maybe I'm not Internet enough.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I'm so glad we have the BBC ;)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Quote:

I'm so glad we have the BBC ;)

We don't. :'(
<edit>
I must to say it again:

Matt, threads locks too soon. I can't log-in as much as I want, an I miss the chance to answer or comment a lot of stuff. :'(

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Hi Niunio :) Ò¿Ó¬Que pasa?

I wonder if it makes sense for the BBC to receive its licence fee in more of a 'pay wall' kind of way, and for international viewers to be allowed to pay it too. The caveat could be that the BBC is British and we probably want it to feel pressure to appeal to Brits first and foremost, which may change if their funding came from the whole world. But the main thing for me is that they remain ad-free :)

~ ~ ~ INTERMISSION ~ ~ ~

Anyway, this thread reminded me to update you all!

Once I took PayPal to the Financial Ombudsman, I received a message from PayPal's Office of Executive Escalations. Made my day :)

video

They then took the whole four weeks that they were allowed to take, but finally offered me the £30 I wanted "in full and final resolution". I've accepted that. It's good that they didn't try and re-process the original transaction, because the exchange rates have gone in Japan's favour and I would have lost out by a further £15 at least (or when I look today, a further £70 nearly!).

Just goes to show - if you feel there was genuine unfairness at work (you're not just trying to fight for the sake of it), it's worth fighting these things ;)

I also reminded them that adjusting their systems to offer the choice of funding source with each payment would ingratiate them towards customers and increase their user base, helping everyone, especially in today's world where it's never been easier to warn other consumers. I mentioned to them that even Ryanair are making an effort ;D They thanked me for the feedback.

AirBNB do not fall under the Financial Ombudsman's jurisdiction, so... well... that fight hasn't been had. But that was more of a meta-fight. You know, an "I've just realised I'm behaving like a social justice warrior" kind of fight. :o

--
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Tu shal not lok ! >:(

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Fus Roh Dah?!

Actually, I wonder what a dragon shout would sound like with a question mark on the end.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

It probably results in the post, err, person of your choice being violently summoned right in front of you :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

It causes the dragon to be eaten by the pig from the other topic. Dragons are eaty, and the pig doesn't like competition.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

The ./ article on the new Linux trojan has a really good comment section, for those of you with a few minutes to burn.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

The other day I updated a package and it gave me a warning about the root directory having ownership permissions.

I'm glad I didn't throw a -R in there whenever I ran sudo chown bill:www-data /.

>_<

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"610069","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/a\/aaae45b1fb0373345b2a15a35dd3aab8.jpg","w":420,"h":316,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/a\/aaae45b1fb0373345b2a15a35dd3aab8"}610069

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Damn too soon bordel de dieu !

Edit: sweet, the slang hider doesn't work for French, haha ^^

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

If you stare at his facial hair long enough, you start making things out. I saw a robot.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Blender ! ;D

Go to: