Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

@jmasterx : I'm basing my assertions on GMT. This may be the last post.

{"name":"609987","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/5\/a5748f30cbed4bf2223173086a6639d2.png","w":764,"h":286,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/5\/a5748f30cbed4bf2223173086a6639d2"}609987
>:(

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I only have 2 pages myself. Too lazy to see how many posts per page I have my settings at. Mine is set to 100 posts. Also, it seems the compact header eats the pages.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Honestly, the first 2 pages of this thread were not that great. I'm glad they are gone.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

...but then I found this actual picture of Thomas Fjellstrom in the Philippines right now:

;D!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Plop ! ;D

Happy new year everyone ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

2016 is already off to a great start with that picture of Thomas in the Philippines.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Today I was seeing how much longer a goal in an MMO, RuneScape, I play would take. I kill a particular monster over and over (that's pretty all I do on the game, actually...). I'd like to get some of my stats (defence/constitution/magic/range) to the "max virtual level" and also get the max xp possible in another (summoning). Pretty pointless, actually...

But anyway, I'd have to kill ~47,000 more of this particular monster. I'd say I'm probably one of the most talented RuneScapers when it comes to efficiently killing said monster, but it would take me at least 300 hours... Assuming I play 2 hours a week (which would actually be above average), that would be just around three years.

To cut to the chase, will this thread be open in three years? Better yet, will the internet as we know it exist in three years :o?

Who knows.

(But I wouldn't be surprised if season 7 of Game of Thrones will be airing and while The Winds of Winter will still be but a dream...).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You still play RuneScape? ;D

{"name":"17-i-lol.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/7\/77dedf39c6e03cf3e9a11ad8ed1c819f.jpg","w":640,"h":512,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/7\/77dedf39c6e03cf3e9a11ad8ed1c819f"}17-i-lol.jpg

Uh oh. I'm now in the Zelda thread, listening to the first video. That's today gone ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

HNY!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

But anyway, I'd have to kill ~47,000 more of this particular monster. I'd say I'm probably one of the most talented RuneScapers when it comes to efficiently killing said monster, but it would take me at least 300 hours... Assuming I play 2 hours a week (which would actually be above average), that would be just around three years.

Somehow... my 50 hours in Skyrim so far feel a thousand times more productive than that.

It's basically a novel... or series of novels... in game form. You enter a town and feel immediately overwhelmed because just talking to everyone and GETTING all the quests will probably take an hour.

But if you need that kind of deep escapism, man, it really fits the bill and I'm thankful one company bothers to make games like that. I've seen a few indie games make a mechanical depth like that, e.g. Dwarf Fortress, but certainly never a game that was a polished modern 3-D experience AND that insane amount of lore and gameplay variety/depth.

And with the insane level of modding support, and huge mod community, people have really fixed many of the problems with the game and help you tune it to "your own game" in major ways. People have customized literally everything in the game and replaced major modules There's a Thief 2: Metal Age mod that adds blackjack/knockouts, water, fire and even rope arrows, and more. I'm going to try that out after I beat it.

The mod community spends tens of thousands of man-hours into improving and adding to the game. I'm blown away. Most "good" mods have over 2,000 man-hours in them. I can't imagine putting that much effort into a mod. I mean, could you imagine how insane it would be to have that many people, that dedicated, to adding to YOUR game? That would be such an honor.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Somehow... my 50 hours in Skyrim so far feel a thousand times more productive than that.

I've spent over 100x as long playing RuneScape (i.e., over 5000 hours) since I started playing around later summer of 2004. A lot of that was spent multitasking, admittedly, on more AFK things (e.g., training a skill while programming--I learned to program while playing RuneScape, haha).

The monster I kill (Tormented Demons) is more like meditation/relaxing than actually doing anything productive. Pretty much a way to pass time when there's nothing else I can/will do. Otherwise I would probably be staring at a wall or something even less productive... At least I'm working towards some virtual goal, I suppose, that can be tracked and has an end.

It seems the good parts of RuneScape have waned, though. It had some of the best quests and storylines of any MMO (well, in my opinion) all the way back in 2004, but lately quests have gotten more predictable and less diverse. "While Guthix Sleeps" and "Ritual of the Mahjarrat" were simply amazing--worthy of games on their own--and older quests like "Underground Pass" had flaws but were still great...

Oh well. The portions of the game I stick to are still pretty neat, and if I had more patience/time I'd enjoy other aspects of it yet still (some of the newer quests are locked behind various requirements I can't be bothered to obtain).

Like I said, a play a few hours a week at most nowadays. Sometimes I regain interest and spend a couple hours a day, but that's not so common anymore.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

And with the insane level of modding support, and huge mod community, people have really fixed many of the problems with the game and help you tune it to "your own game" in major ways.

What are the main core mechanics of these types of games? That is, games that people want to contribute their time to expanding?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I enjoyed the free parts of Runescape back in the day. I actually got to level 30 or something at one point. No clue if my account still exists. I think I went by something like "seffir auth" or something like that on my latest account. The game was always a subscription trap though. I don't know who can afford those fees, but it isn't me (I have no idea what it costs today). Most of the time you were just painfully grinding collecting resources, crafting, selling, and on and on... It required way too much time to make progress and nothing was ever particularly interesting. It was a nice way to kill time between classes back in the mid 00's though.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

bamccaig said:

The game was always a subscription trap though. I don't know who can afford those fees

It was $5 a month when I started paying in 2005 (I still pay $5 because of grandfathered rates). That's $60 a year, which is the price of a standard console game. The rate is higher now ($90 a year or $9.49 a month). Nowadays you can use in-game money to buy bonds (from players who spent real-life money on said bonds), so technically you don't have to pay real-life money anymore, just in-game time ;).

(It's 24 bonds for a year of membership, and bonds are currently 12m gp per, so 288m gp in total. I make... 7m gp/hr at Tormented Demons on average [since the drops are RNG, but common enough to allow for a nice average like that in a reasonable time], so ~40 hours of moneymaking in game. Though even here in USAland normal membership rate of $90 a year would take 13 hours of a minimum wage job, making the in-game method more expensive by proxy...)

---
they / she

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

so technically you don't have to pay real-life money anymore, just in-game time

Wow. I can't imagine how that would ever be sustainable from a business standpoint...

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Wow. I can't imagine how that would ever be sustainable from a business standpoint...

A player has to buy the bonds and sell them to another player though, that's why it's still profitable :P. It's actually more profitable; the 24 bonds gives Jagex (the RuneScape developer) $143.76, while a year of membership is at most $113.88 (and as low as $60, assuming you have grandfathered rates). So Bob buys 5 bonds for $30 and sells them to random players for 60m gp, random players use bonds for membership without using real life money, and still Jagex comes out ahead.

---
they / she

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"610002","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/5\/854c2e23dd16d4c4018df685dc9298cd.png","w":549,"h":547,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/5\/854c2e23dd16d4c4018df685dc9298cd"}610002

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The post will mostly be gone by the time some of you even read this, but let it be known that this thread has gotten spam!

[edit] Actually, I'm wondering how the site handle new user profiles, as I noticed that the post doesn't appear in their profile.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

It had to be this thread, didn't it?

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Aww, I was hoping the thread would die off after Mark's post for irony's sake. But no, some spammer just HAD to discover it...

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

It seems a tad suspicious that this thread ... of all threads, would be where spam was posted. Maybe it's a sockpuppet account and contains a coded message. I've made only a minimalistic attempt to decipher it, but if we treat 233 2316 803 10 as a sequence of unicode characters, in hex, we get E9 90C 323 A, which gives us "éऌ ̣◙" (the last character is actually a linefeed, but I used the codepage 437 equivalent).

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I bet this is ML in disguise trying to make the point that if the thread had closed when it appropriately should have then the spam would have never been able to be posted ::)

If this were a real spammer, Matts precogs would have caught it well ahead of time...

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Can I be the computer operator?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

bamccaig said:

He's fighting the good fight of keeping this thread going which is really all that matters. >:(

;D

--

Go to: