Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SpeedHack 2014 is this weekend!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SpeedHack 2014 is this weekend!
Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

The latest version's 5.1.8, right? You should be okay.

20 hours till glory.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

I'm excited! I haven't made a game in ages, I think the last one I made was for TINS back in 2012. ::)

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I haven't either. The weekend looks semi-clear for me, actually, so I'm going to give it a shot. I may lose a day, depending on the weather forecast... we'll see. :o

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm on China time, so it starts @ 8pm on Friday, and ends @ 8pm on Monday. I work Monday so I'll lose a good chunk of that day.

I'm still gonna win, though. >:(>:(>:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Since becoming an actual contestant, my criteria for evaluating rules has changed from, "How interesting would this be?" to, "... How easy would this be to implement?"

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm more like, "how good will it look it look if I show it to other people?"

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I'm working Friday from 2pm to around 1am, and then on Saturday and Sunday from 9am until about 1am. On Monday I start at 11am.

I think I'll sit this one out.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I work on Friday, then go to someone's party after work. Then I'm gone to Bavaria all Saturday and Sunday. And then work again on Monday.

So yeah, not much chance for me either :(

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I'm more like, "how good will it look it look if I show it to other people?"

Haha, like you even have to worry about that... I've seen your pixel art before. >:(

Anyone sitting this one out should rest easy, as I will pick up the slack and then some. 8-)

Gassa
Member #5,298
December 2004

It's OK to try and use languages other than C and C++, right? The previous TINS saw two entries in D, and we had a (Windows) binary pack without too much trouble as far as I remember. This time, I would like to use D too, with SiegeLord's bindings - they were working for me last time I checked. And I believe SiegeLord himself may be going to use Rust since he moved on :) .

By the way, is there be a centralized place where the entries will be put after the contest, like this or that one?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Here I assume.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Gassa
Member #5,298
December 2004

Here I assume.

Thank you, MiquelFire!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You can use whatever language you want, but you should realize most people will have problems getting anything other than C/C++ to work.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

173KB of source? :o Is it a complete game already? :P

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Gassa said:

It's OK to try and use languages other than C and C++, right? The previous TINS saw two entries in D, and we had a (Windows) binary pack without too much trouble as far as I remember. This time, I would like to use D too, with SiegeLord's bindings - they were working for me last time I checked. And I believe SiegeLord himself may be going to use Rust since he moved on :) .

You can use whatever language you want, but you should realize most people will have problems getting anything other than C/C++ to work.

I'll be able to compile a binary for Windows and Linux for D (and Rust, but I'm the only one using it), so the only problem is Mac, as always.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

173KB of source? :o Is it a complete game already? :P

No of course not, but it is something that makes my life seriously simpler so I don't have to spend all my time reimplementing the wheel over and over again. Lots of utility classes init routines logging input handler image and font classes gui stuff and lots more. It's totally fair game if it fits a 250KB zip file.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I thought they were only fair game if they have already been released publicly prior to the start of the compo.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You forgot the button on the homepage, Matthew. 8-)

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

Didn't expect it to start so soon! I registered, but there's like 90% chance of my not making it, since I might have to work on the weekend to chase some deadlines. :(

We'll see about it.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Looks like this is going to be a < 48 hour compo for most of us. :)

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Good luck and have fun everyone!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Following Edgar, here's a dump of the code in my framework that may or may not make an appearance in my entry. Consider this the first public release. :)

What if we want to use boost, box2d, OpenCV, or any other library like that? It's fair game, right?

--

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I thought they were only fair game if they have already been released publicly prior to the start of the compo.

It's a TINS thing. Anything goes for Speedhack (you have to make it clear what was pre-written, however, in the Readme).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Go to: