ten stone testicle
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If I t wasn't for our "free" healthcare and welfare, I'd likely be dead now, rather than a productive member of society. Food for thought.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm not against compassion or saving people. Just do it yourself instead of hoping the government will do it for you, and most likely wasting half the money in the process. People used to do it all the time in extended families, but society is way too selfish for that sort of thing now, so they try to force other people to do it with legislation.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

kronoman said:

in USA seems to imperate "me over the others" mind

Just do it yourself instead of hoping the government will do it for you

kronoman hit the nail on the head. Want help? Help yourself.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Have you switched sides Vanetto?

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Nope, but Arthur has the same mentality kronoman described. In more ways than one.

You need help with that money problem? Help yourself.
You need help with depression? Suck it up and help yourself.
You need help with moving? Fuck you.

OK I don't know about the moving part but it seems to fit with the rest. ;D

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_family

and/or your network of friends. If you're worth a shit you'd find plenty of help if there wasn't any government help to lean on (and wasting the money you could use better yourself).

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

and most likely wasting half the money in the process

According to somebody (and ignoring inflated hospital fees as per that article somebody quoted showing US medical costs are 10x the norm) that operation cost over a $1m.

If he'd had it done when he noticed the problem 5 years prior, it would have cost maybe $100 in fees and injections.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

$100 in fees and injections.

The 1970's called and want their prices back.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Do you know how many friends the average blind person or deaf person has ?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They have moms and dads and siblings and cousins etc. Sure, it wouldn't be ideal, but stuffing them away in an institution isn't heaven either.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

A link to two essays I find interesting wirth regards to this debate:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:A_Day_In_The_Life_of_Joe_Conservative

The first one exposes how Conservatives in the USA, Canada, or Europe think despite all the benefits that they enjoy. The second essay describes life how life would be like in a country where the government is as the conservative leaders and plutocrat fat cats want it to be.

Edit oh and these ones:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

Welcome to the plutocracy. :(

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Son, you dare talk shit about the U.S. and A.? How dare you! They are the best. Their way is best. Free what? Are you some kind of communist? The only free thing you can get is a free ass-whooping with that attitude. >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm not against compassion or saving people. Just do it yourself instead of hoping the government will do it for you, and most likely wasting half the money in the process.

Like I said, I'd be dead without the assistance I got. if my family could have helped more, they would have. My mom did a great thing and bought a place for me to live in. That helped a great deal.

And I do help people. I pay my taxes, and my taxes go to government programs that help people.

Some people mooch. And some people mooch off their families. That will never go away. Refusing to help anyone because of a few ass holes is a really stupid thing to do imo.

Theres a lot of people who commit crimes, but we don't need no police, lets just do it ourselves!

Oh and take away knives, people could use them for murder!

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

BigSir
Member #6,894
February 2006

The suggestion that family could do anything significant about a medical issue is an absurd cop-out in my opinion. Is family supposed to make the medicine and provide the regular medical care and surgeries?

The bottom line is that we might save someone for free in an emergency room but when it comes to chronic care, people without health insurance are screwed and are basically left to die in the USA. Frankly I'm surprised the guy got his testicles removed in the first place here but he got a lot of notoriety because of the grotesqueness and “humor” of his situation. Lots of radio shows put him on because it was amusing. He basically had to make a fool of himself to get his life back.

The other issue I see is that the USA has generally exported a huge chunk of our jobs to China and India and elsewhere despite that fact that it basically requires a “full-time” job to have affordable health insurance here. Oh and then they want even more of our money to “create jobs”.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I suppose I have little faith in doctors even when their confiscatory fees are paid, the local hospital is discharging patients with c. diff., two roomies contracted it in the last couple months while in the hospital for other ailments, and one of those had to spend some time in a nursing home where they were required to wear gown, cap, face mask and gloves in her room. There were 8 other cases in this nursing home at the same time.

And four years ago a buddy of mine went there for a case of pinkeye, he was supposed to be there five days, but contracted strep while there, and it turned into a five month ordeal. They almost had to do surgery on him.

And a month ago there was a thing circulating on the internet about the IBM "Watson" computer getting a 90% correct diagnosis rate as opposed to the human doctor rate of 50%.

I'll get well on my own just like I've been doing in spite of people wringing their hands and nagging me to go to the doctor.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I suppose I have little faith in doctors even when their confiscatory fees are paid, the local hospital is discharging patients with c. diff. [en.wikipedia.org], two roomies contracted it in the last couple months while in the hospital for other ailments, and one of those had to spend some time in a nursing home where they were required to wear gown, cap, face mask and gloves in her room. There were 8 other cases in this nursing home at the same time.

That's because your system sucks, and has for decades. The private hospitals have NO incentive to provide more than the absolute bare minimum of care, and even then they skimp and charge many many times what it actually cost.

If you think about it, those hospitals have incentive to not heal you. Why? because then you have to go back over and over and over again.

I'm not saying our system is perfect, but its a lot better than yours.

Another interesting tid-bit, its cheaper for insurance companies to pay out death benefits than disability/hospital fees over your life after a major issue. So yay, they'd rather you die.

Quote:

I'll get well on my own just like I've been doing in spite of people wringing their hands and nagging me to go to the doctor.

Prevention is far preferable to treatment. If you notice anything out of the ordinary I suggest at the very least a checkup. Catch things early and you can cut it off at the pass, rather than waiting till you're dying. It's cheaper too. For both yourself and the country as a whole.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

LennyLen isn't from Canada, but here's a thread where he couldn't afford to get something done in a timely fashion so he had to wait for "a long time" for the public health care system. Good luck with that sort of thing.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

My mother has some thing where the main veins in her legs swell up and could burst and she would die. She has to have surgery every few years. I don't know how much it would cost if it wasn't covered under our health care system. Instead we just pay a reasonable amount of tax like everyone else, and most people are happy doing so. It's not perfect, and sometimes there are wait times, but not just anybody is qualified to perform surgery you know. That's the only complaint I've ever heard from people - that there are delays sometimes. At least they're not 5 year delays for serious things. Everyone here generally agrees that overall we have a great healthcare system and I don't think anybody would trade it for the US system.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You'll wait as long, or longer with the private system, and it'll cost more than your life savings. And end up costing the country and other people in increased insurance costs more than a public system.

But yeah, sometimes waits can be long. There are only so many doctors and surgeons. Especially when your government goes into austerity mode thinking its a good thing, when in fact all it does is kill public services, lives, and in the medium to long term, a lot more money.

We had our provincial health care budget massively slashed a couple times, once just recently and another time back in the 90s. It still hadn't fully recovered from it. Service was slow, wait times were long. And it cost a fortune to try and get service levels back to where they should be (which didn't happen), and attract more doctors.

And now they've done it again ::) herp derp.

People always trot out long waits like its something unique to the public system ::) It could be fixed but politicians are fucking retarded.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Last winter I tried a job cleaning houses on base, I was constantly on my feet or hands and knees for maybe 8 hours a day, my legs swelled up to where I could barely get my pants on and my big toenails turned black, with one toenail falling off. I was also going to the local plasma center and they saw my swollen legs, gave me a physical, and told me implied I have congestive heart failure, and couldn't return until my ankles weren't swollen anymore. Among other things, they told me I had to stop drinking Pepsi(TM)(Nectar of the Godz) because of the high sodium content (it has very very little sodium).

Anyway, the woman hiring me quit, so after a couple months I returned to normal on my own, and the plasma center said I was healthy enough again, but they asked what medication I was taking to make the swelling go down, as if that was the only possible solution.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

You're going under the assumption that them telling you you had congestive heart failure means it was true. Obviously swollen legs from working isn't the same as something that requires yearly surgery. Anyway you just keep coming up with arguments to counter what people are saying that are plain and simple nonsense. Like OMG I hit my thumb with a hammer once and it healed all by itself, so if you got your thumb chopped off it should grow back too!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It probably would have went away sooner had you taken at least the intention of the advice. aka: take care of yourself and cut back on things causing the issue.

But the plasma center doesn't normally have doctors on staff, usually only nurses and aides, so I'm not sure you should be slaging everyone off for that.

As for pepsi and sodium, one can of it has 15mg of sodium. Depending on how much you drink and what else you have that has sodium in it, if its a lot or not.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You're going under the assumption that them telling you you had congestive heart failure means it was true.

What's your point?

Go to: