Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » ten stone testicle

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
ten stone testicle
beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

It's not about giving food and healthcare to everyone who might need it, but rather about everyone who cannot afford it. That's charity yes, and charity works best institutionalized.

It seems to me the main problem in the USA is that too many people are trying to screw over other people. Dog eat dog. Especially USA insurance companies seem unreliable. That's actually one more reason to hand the healthcare to the government or charities.

As for people gaming the system, it's necessary to do some elementary checks, but some abuses are unavoidable if you don't want to risk excluding people who actually need welfare. When it comes to abusing the system, hose welfare checks are nothing compared to the millions of bail outs and kickback that the wealthy and powerful get. Just look at the banking bailout.

The most poignant commentary I read here so far was that as technology advances, unemployment will become the norm, not the exception. Once robots and androids are able to do all the manual labor, there will be nothing to do for the majority of people. Not everyone can be a scientist, a sports man, an artist, engineer, designer or a computer programmer. The unemployed masses will demand that the wealth generated by the machines will be distributed to them. The wealthy will oppose this for a time but in the end (and hopefully without too much bloodshed) the masses will get what they want.

And that may mean indeed that we will have a world where most people just consume and lay about. The ambitious minority will be those who join in the the aforementioned professions. But isn't that the goal of technological progress? To make all manual labor unneeded, and usher in a golden age where people do not have to work for a living anymore?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I think everybody here probably wants people to be healthy and cared for, etc. I wouldn't look at the welfare critics as people who are categorically "jealous" or not compassionate or whatever. They just generally don't trust that the government can run an effective system across 50 states without widespread abuse that causes everything to collapse.

And of course all they can point to is anecdotal evidence. That's going to be the basis for most opinions.

Most of the people I grew up with are very conservative and would only resort to government hand-outs as a very last measure. They are very outspoken against freeloaders, yet are the first people to open their own wallets to help out honest people they know who need help.

The thing that's unique about healthcare is that preventative care can offset a lot of future problems and ultimately should be cheaper if everybody got some sort of yearly allowance towards medical bills.

Ideally that's something that business owners would realize, but I suppose that there's no shortage of cheap labor, so it might not affect their bottom line.

jmasterx said:

I never thought a topic about over-sized male genitalia would be so popular in an almost entirely male forum

Good observation.

beoran said:

there will be nothing to do for the majority of people.

Haven't people been worrying about this for thousands of years with any new technology that comes around? :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

beoran said:

too many people are trying to screw over other people.

It's called healthy competition, unless harm is involved. No, not "economic harm" caused by working harder and causing the lazy person to get laid off or fired.

Quote:

Especially USA insurance companies seem unreliable. That's actually one more reason to hand the healthcare to the government or charities.

Where did you get the idea that goverment or charities are reliable? Check your assumptions.

Quote:

welfare checks are nothing compared to the millions of bail outs and kickback that the wealthy and powerful get. Just look at the banking bailout.

True dat, but no excuse.

Quote:

unemployment will become the norm, not the exception. Once robots and androids are able to do all the manual labor, there will be nothing to do for the majority of people.

The Jetsons anticipated this and promised us 4 hour workweeks ("Pushing all these buttons is killing me!") but it appears that isn't working out quite as anticipated. OTOH, lots of jobs are held down on the hours to avoid overtime and "full time benefits" that the government is supposedly enforcing by fiat.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Well, let's agree to disagree on the welfare thing apart from one point.

And that is the reliablity of people and organisations. Somehow there seems to be this conservative idea that for-profit organizations are somehow better than not-for profit ones, or the government. That's plain nonsense.

I contend that organisations can be at best as good as the people who work in it, and often they are worse than that, usually though the bad influence of the fat cats at the top. When it comes to the quality, the form of the organisation matters far less than the people and the leadership.

The main point to avoid such bad effects is that some forms of organization are more appropriate than others for certain fields. Charities have less disincentives for paying out insurance fees than for profit ones do, so it seem to me that having the healthcare run by charities would lead in the most benefits for the people who need healthcare.

I agree that a future without work hasn't materialized just yet, and most likely, it will take a long, long time before we are there. I agree that for most jobs that got automated away, some other jobs became available, but always with that new job being less labor intensive than the old one. Once shop and restaurant staff are all androids, what will there be left to do for people who do not have artistic, sportive or intellectual skills?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

beoran said:

Somehow there seems to be this conservative idea that for-profit organizations are somehow better than not-for profit ones, or the government. That's plain nonsense.

Somehow the idea has arisen that people working "for the good of all, out of their heart" will motivate people better than self-serving greed. It might work for a month or three. ;) Naturally the greed must be channeled by tort and anti-monopoly laws, but that's the only thing that works in the long run.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ideally that's something that business owners would realize, but I suppose that there's no shortage of cheap labor, so it might not affect their bottom line.

Ah that reminds me. One of the places my Brother in Law worked had a deal, if you used the building Gym, they'd pay for more of your health insurance. Or something like that. Basically, they tried to encourage healthier living.

I've heard of insurance companies reducing premiums and deductibles for people who take regular checkups and show consistent "health" or consistent improvement in lifestyle.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I've seen maybe 20 instances personally where people with pride were suddenly homeless or whatever due to fire etc., and they literally pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to having a job and a place to live within two weeks, and a year later were back on track as "normal people".

I've done that myself, yet here I am now. Not quite the same thing for a healthy person to pick themselves back up as it is for a sick person. And I know you don't believe in mental illness but I'm really quite sick.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I knew a guy from Lapland who could bleed from his eyes on demand. So I guess since I know one who can the rest can too.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ah, this thread gave me a little lightbulb. It's really hard to describe my mental state, I've never been able to do so. But I thought of something close. If you've ever had a concussion - that's similar to how I feel almost all the time.

EDIT: Now I wonder if it's not more the concussions that are at play here - but there are other things too, like hallucinations/voices/paranoia that aren't things you'd get just from a concussion. Don't mean to steal the thread, I'm just excited I now have a way to describe it. The doctors always played down the role of the concussions though.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Vanneto said:

@Samuel Henderson: so, your ex-brother-in-law and his friends are the majority of people? Canada must be a small place eh.

I never made any such claims and you are correct that they (and other people like them) are definitely a very small minority. Sure, the rest of Canadians can afford to subsidize those who are too lazy to work but that doesn't make it ok.

I was merely pointing out that not everyone on welfare wants to get off welfare and some people DO in fact want as many government handouts as they can get.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Well, it doesn't really matter. Time will tell, just like it always has. I was once young and naive too.

Time doesn't always tell. Not even close. You're thinking of confirmation bias. Possibilities that did not happen are mostly unknown. One way to judge what will happen with a given law is to see other countries have done and how their laws affected them. Generally, the rest of the industrialized nations haven't reverted to ruin.

There isn't anyone who thinks "free health care" means it grows on trees, so it's foolish quest to argue against that straw puppet. Lets see what health care has actually cost the United States.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunro/2012/12/30/2012-the-year-in-healthcare-charts/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/26/charts-health-care-costs-americans_n_2957266.html

This is less of a red v. blue case than one of optimizing an inefficient system. I agree, though, that time will tell if Obamacare is any more efficient. It's an awfully piecemeal patchwork due to having to please our current healthcare corporations paying their way into law.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I was merely pointing out that not everyone on welfare wants to get off welfare and some people DO in fact want as many government handouts as they can get.

True. And I know such people. But as you said they are fewer than the ones who actually want to get off welfare.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Well sure they want to "get off welfare", everybody looks down on them. But as far as putting some effort into it, well that's asking too much. Kind of like when a religious person says "I'll pray for you", I'm thinking "So you'll help me as much as possible as long as it doesn't involve effort?".

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I never said there aren't any scumbags that would drain the system dry given the chance.

Here, nobody looks down on anyone on welfare. That would be stupid. I think what Matthew stated (1/3 of Americans wouldn't work if given the chance) speaks volumes of your mentality and attitude.

EDIT: I see it as the privacy thing. You take away the privacy of millions of people so that the 0.001% cant hurt you. It might satisfy the stupid people, but reasonable people know it doesn't work that way. >:(

In capitalist America bank robs you.

kronoman
Member #2,911
November 2002

The thing with free health care is, you will appreciate it when you need it.

I have had many procedures in my life, mainly related to riding a motorcycle, and motocross (broken ribs, legs, hernia, etc) and everything was free.

I pay taxes? Yes, I do, about 21%, I think is less that what USA charges their citizens from what I read on wikipedia article about USA taxes.

I pay them glad, because when I need health, Im sure Im getting it, even if it is a expensive procedure. Even a foreign can get it, and no hospital can refuse. This guy in the photo should have purchased a ticket here, he would have got his problem solved only for the price of the ticket.

And Im not angry about the taxes, because I know they will help me eventually, and help others; is a cooperative mind, in USA seems to imperate "me over the others" mind, you dont rejoice if you get health care, you rejoice when the other does not get health care.

I have read too that many people in USA join the army to get health care, a good salary and education. That is B.S; a extortion, you join a army to go and die in a foreign land just to get what should be yours just by paying your taxes. How many are still in the jungle of Vietnam, their bodies never to be recovered? Joining the army to defend your country in your own soil is a thing, to go to a foreign land as a mercenary, well, lower than a mercenary since you dont get rich, just get what should be yours, is a fools errand. While you die in the sand/jungle/tundra, the politics cant count the money they are making with your blood.

That is pure and savage capitalism, comrade.

BTW, we have free education too, including college, from where many nobel prizes were educated.

BigSir
Member #6,894
February 2006

Well said Kronoman! I totally agree with your points.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Am I the only one who read Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut? People don't want jobs because they can make money. They want jobs to feel needed. If you talk to someone who delivers newspapers every day and someone who does nothing all day, you will see a strong difference. The "paper boy" may be pissed off because he's not making enough money or he has a menial job, but he will be animated.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Arthur is so anti-religious but this song is almost a perfect fit.

video

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Am I the only allegro user who feels it's a jolly good job we all live far apart and don't know exactly where we all live ?

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Why William? I'm just trying to get Arthur to open his mind a bit. Some people just aren't willing to admit they're not perfect. I am. Here's one for me:

video

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Why do I get this ?

{"name":"607744","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/4\/c445385628045bef867970942fb9f20c.png","w":540,"h":382,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/4\/c445385628045bef867970942fb9f20c"}607744

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

IDK. It's a link to The Struggle Within by Metallica (same album).

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

IDK ? What does that mean ?

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I don't know.

EDIT: Sorry about this. I'm often WAAAY too "blunt" with things. I present things in a "mean" way. All I really wanted to do was say "Hey, Arthur, don't you think you may be acting a little like the subject of this song?", and not "I HATE YOU ARTHUR!!!!!!!!!"

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I earn more than many people, and many people earn more than me. So we all pay different amounts of tax, yet regardless of status we all get the same 'free' healthcare. If I had no job and no money I'd still get free healthcare and further assistance to lead a fairly normal life. When I did get a job I'd have a better quality of life and pay taxes to help everyone continue to get free healthcare.

I see this as a better model than one where people become ill and die simply because they couldn't afford to get a life-saving operation.

Comparing free food to free healthcare is just a ridiculous and simplistic comparison, a bit like saying more guns create safer environments (sorry, couldn't resist bringing guns into the argument as we haven't argued about them yet ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Go to: