Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I Guess My Parachute Opened?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I Guess My Parachute Opened?
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

So there is this cute and nice girl at a sub shop in town that I've been meaning to ask out and I finally just did. :-/ Even though it seems taboo cause she's at work and has to be nice, etc. In any case, she said she has a boyfriend. But she said we could still be friends. :-/ So I said that would be cool too. :-/ Friends. Sigh. She wrote her phone number and name on a card. :) I didn't really introduce myself or give her my name, though she should have learned it a week or two ago when she personally offered to start a counting card (i.e., 10 subs and the next one is free), which has my full name on it. Still, there's a good chance she's forgotten (especially since I've bought like 4 subs since then and none of them seem to remember that I have a card with them)...

In any case, now I have her name and number, but can only really do friend things. I don't even know what would qualify... I mean, I could always invite her to join myself and friends for something, but I don't have [m]any friends, so if I was going to invite her to something it would probably be just us two (and whoever she happened to invite), which just seems weird... :-/ I don't have any ideas for what kinds of things friends would get together for anyway. I don't really know what to do. :P

I could just not call her and pretend it never happened. That certainly seems easiest. Though I do like getting subs from that place (only place in town anymore) so I'll inevitably run into her again. It would be silly to act like there's an elephant in the room or whatever. On the other hand, I could always make things worse by calling her and asking to do something she's not comfortable with... Ugh.

So I guess I'm seeking advice. Should I just let the friendship offer go stale and maybe hope she becomes available in the future and it comes up in casual conversation? Should I take her up on the friendship offer and call her to do something? But what? Should I forget about her entirely and stop eating subs? :P

Discuss.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Is she and her boyfriend linked with exploding necklaces? If not, just give it a shot and see what happens.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Is she and her boyfriend linked with exploding necklaces? If not, just give it a shot and see what happens.

Give what a shot? :P

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Pretend she doesn't have a boyfriend.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

In my experience, friendship just happens naturally, or it doesn't. Next time you order a sub, see if she seems open to a bit of chatting. If she does, go with the flow; if she doesn't, don't worry about it. But I think any situation where someone feels the need to say explicitly "we can be friends" is a situation where you probably can't be. If you can be friends, you will just know it and no one will need to say it. It's more likely she felt bad for you, was trying to make you feel better, and isn't astute enough to realise that offering to be friends isn't going to work. (Few people are.) So don't be too hopeful.

Don't worry about it either. If you don't ask, you'll never know. She won't be thinking badly of you. You've also just gained +1 XP. (Don't say that to a girl, unless of course you have your heart set on a gamer girl and can take the odd looks you'll get in your less than refined approach to identifying them.)

:)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Women are lying treacherous creatures so you still have a shot with her. But remember, if she does end up going for you then she's going to do the same thing to you

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I think she was just letting you down nicely.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

kids....

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

bamccaig said:

So there is this cute and nice girl at a sub shop in town...Though I do like getting subs from that place (only place in town anymore)

Uh, what the hell is a sub in your meaning? I think I got that right, but looking just at these two sentences above a lot of things come to mind... :-/

Anyway I think you think too much about it. I would second Bruce on this - friendship just happens, it's not like on Facebook: "let's be friends" - "um, okay". It's a continuous process where the involved parties get to know each other.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

In any case, she said she has a boyfriend. But she said we could still be friends.
She wrote her phone number and name on a card.

She's sending you mixed signals. She may have a boyfriend or she may have said she did because she didn't know you very well, but it sounds like she's keeping her options open here...

In any case, she said she was willing to be friends, so be her friend first, and maybe you'll get to be her boyfriend second. Take her out to somewhere neutral, like a musuem or art gallery. If she still likes you, try going to a concert or a show together somewhere.

bamccaig said:

I didn't really introduce myself or give her my name

You should fix this. Apologize for not telling her your name and introduce yourself properly next time you see her. If she already knows, no big deal.

bamccaig said:

I could just not call her and pretend it never happened.

That would be pretty rude. Don't be a chicken. You wanted to get to know her, so get to know her! Worry about getting nookie some other time.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

kids....

What?! :o I haven't even shaken her hand yet!

OICW said:

Uh, what the hell is a sub in your meaning? I think I got that right, but looking just at these two sentences above a lot of things come to mind... :-/

In this context a sub is a submarine sandwich. :)

So the general consensus seems to be that it was an ill-advised attempt to let me down gently and that I should just ignore it. :) That part's simple. :) The hard part though is, do I stop going to the sub shop, or if I do go back and run into her, do I just pretend there is an elephant in the room (i.e., not talk about it unless she brings it up)? :P

Append: until Edgar came along and threw the balance all off. :-/

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'd say you're overthinking this. Just let it flow.

1. You like her. Keep going back (as long as she's not dropping hints about restraining orders).
2. Trying to think of what to say in advance never works because you can't think of how her end of the conversation is going to differ from your imaginary script.
3. If you freeze up or "get stiff" because you're afraid, well it sucks to be you. Just keep going in the hope that this will ease your fear through attrition.
4. If the above fails, keep doing the previous three things over and over (with various girls) and you'll hook up eventually. "Eventually" sounds like a death sentence right now, but think of how recent 6 months ago seems compared to 6 months in the future.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'd say you're overthinking this.

I would expect nothing less from bambam!

The best thing to do is to just mind your own business, never talk to women at all, and enjoy being free to spend your money on a bunch of crap you'll never need or use.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'd say you're overthinking this. Just let it flow.

Not over-thinking it is what got me in this mess. ;D The only time it just flows for me is when I'm drunk, and in that case I'm probably less than refined. :P

My current plan is to just keep going back when I'm in the mood for a sub, but to not really bring up the friendship thing (and not call her). This way if she was really just being nice then everybody is hopefully happy and no harm done. If she happens to push for friendship or otherwise in some way then I can react on the spot. :)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

bamccaig said:

The only time it just flows for me is when I'm drunk, and in that case I'm probably less than refined. :P

I'd say you have to fix that first then.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

{"name":"Courage-Wolf-She-put-you-in-friend-zone-Put-her-in-rape-zone.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/f\/ffda90c9af30ebcb22dc555f2d081aaa.jpg","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/f\/ffda90c9af30ebcb22dc555f2d081aaa"}Courage-Wolf-She-put-you-in-friend-zone-Put-her-in-rape-zone.jpg

I keed I keed..

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

BAMBAM NEEDS SOME MOTIVATION

{"name":"604129","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/c\/0c874e896752984c6040b48b1c01cd35.jpg","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/c\/0c874e896752984c6040b48b1c01cd35"}604129
{"name":"604130","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/3366ace1185c06b23d1fc2380cac0c79.jpg","w":576,"h":576,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/3366ace1185c06b23d1fc2380cac0c79"}604130

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

My advice is identical to Bruce Perry's.

Other than that, I'd say you should go get a sub there every day, all while apologizing for not getting subs more often. Be sure to maintain dead-lock eye contact at her the whole time. Also, make sure you constantly reiterate how you guys are "friends" and when you say "friends" make sure you say it like it's the most treasured thing in the world. And always keep eye contact. Then, after about a week, put her in an awkward situation where she misunderstands something you said, putting her in check-mate for going out on a date. A day before your date, go by her work and tell her you can't wait for the two of you to get to share one another's hopes and dreams - give her a teaser and tell her how you know that she's everything you've dreamed of. Maintain. constant. eye contact. When she doesn't show up to the date, go to her work the next day and talk about how you treasure her friendship, and even though she didn't show up, you understood how she must have been very busy with her family or something because you know that she wouldn't just ditch you, cause friends don't do that and the two of you are friends because she told you so. Tell her you trust her with all of your heart and what the two of you share is more valuable to you than any treasure.

Then rape her.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I'd give friends a stab. If you're a 'better fit', she will inevitably begin fighting with her boyfriend, break up with him, and leap into your arms.

... and this thread is the reason nobody wonders why we have so few female forum members ;D
Rape.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Derezo said:

If you're a 'better fit', she will inevitably begin fighting with her boyfriend, break up with him, and leap into your arms.

That's how it seems at first, you must subtly warn her against putting you on a pedestal. Otherwise, when she finds out you, like every other guy (except this one) puts his pants on one leg at a time, she's doomed to disappointment. But make sure she does understand it's a much better fit overall. But tame the drinking first.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

dude she gave you her number, you have hope, even if friends, she could hook you up wit her her friends. Dont over think it. Gain confidence and hit on women at the same time, when you're single, you shouldn't put your eggs in one basket.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

she could hook you up wit her her friends.

This is also a danger if you do your very best in everything. Being the "mostest awesome guy evar" is a full time job in itself, and they'll all think they're not in your league. I hesitate to mention my own experience in this matter due to my extreme modesty, but IIRC Derezo mentioned this a year or so ago.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I never said anything about "kids", I meant by maturity, not physical.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Other than that, I'd say you should go get a sub there every day, all while apologizing for not getting subs more often. Be sure to maintain dead-lock eye contact at her the whole time. Also, make sure you constantly reiterate how you guys are "friends" and when you say "friends" make sure you say it like it's the most treasured thing in the world. And always keep eye contact. Then, after about a week, put her in an awkward situation where she misunderstands something you said, putting her in check-mate for going out on a date. A day before your date, go by her work and tell her you can't wait for the two of you to get to share one another's hopes and dreams - give her a teaser and tell her how you know that she's everything you've dreamed of. Maintain. constant. eye contact. When she doesn't show up to the date, go to her work the next day and talk about how you treasure her friendship, and even though she didn't show up, you understood how she must have been very busy with her family or something because you know that she wouldn't just ditch you, cause friends don't do that and the two of you are friends because she told you so. Tell her you trust her with all of your heart and what the two of you share is more valuable to you than any treasure.

This.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Go to: