Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Uh-Oh, here comes a God vs Science thread
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Hmmm... I might have to "acquire" this movie to watch it.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

THIS IS A COMMON MISCONCEPTION.

Wow, even the movie's writer is wrong!

Quote:

My view is that when you see what the book is and that he’s blind that to me tells you god must exist. If not, then there’s no other explanation for how he’s been able to do all that he did. Now I don’t know how many people are picking up on that theme, unless you’re a person of faith perhaps.

Short version: if you didn't get that the punch line of the entire movie was his blindness, you suck!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

video

Please watch. (I think it's old enough and public enough for me to have on my channel, but it could disappear)

an abstract concept whose grandeur might diminish if expanded into terms more amenable to everyday understanding.

Yes. It does appear less significant as you expand on it and generalize it. However, it doesn't make it any less correct. Nothing that has existed has ever been like you (or me, or anyone) and we all have within us an incredible creative energy that only exists because of what has existed before us and caused us into being.

However, I have started on my third beer with a friend, so I will discontinue my input ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Wow, even the movie's writer is wrong!

I guessed you completely missed the caps-lock, mocking sarcasm (and the winky).

Sure is hard to deliver that sort of thing through text on the internetz!

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Edit: debate ended, at least for me. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

{"name":"603811","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4bd3bb7196a3768854cac64b834fcecf.png","w":940,"h":850,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4bd3bb7196a3768854cac64b834fcecf"}603811

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

and the winky

The wink was obviously your way of saying he was only blind in one eye. >:(

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Edit: debate ended, at least for me. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

It's assuming mutual exclusion after all the previous discussion too. Pretty sure it's just more sarcasm (big shock).

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Book of Eli! Hey, I saw that yesterday.

It was pretty good. I liked the slow-paced drama and cinematic additions so it would be MOAR HOLY.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I liked the part where Eli killed people and then ate them for supper.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Knowing our origins wouldn't answer all questions. We all know the starting position of a Chess game, but even the Jaguar doesn't know all the possible endings.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

The vailidity of Darwin's theories doesn't change simply because it's old anymore than a Pythagoras' theorem is getting outdated.

It does, just like Pythagoras' theorem does. The core idea is still valid, but the context has been amended to account for new insights. The Pythagorean theorem has been amended in at least two ways ever since Pythagoras conceived it:

• it is only valid on perfectly flat surfaces

• it can be generalized from 2-space to N-space, so that:

<math>\sum_{i=1}^N d_i^2 = c^2</math>
(where di is the distance between the ends of the hypotenuse in dimension i)

Likewise, newer insights have amended the theory of Evolution, even though the basic idea (diverse lifeforms through mutation and selection) is still observably valid.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

To summarize this thread:

video

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Do I have your permission to sig that?

Yes? :P

The Book of Eli is a good movie that demonstrates this.

That was a great movie, though I'm not religious. :) I don't remember it well, but I do seem to recall him being blind. :)

Neil Roy said:

Also, again, atheists mocking religion. Notice you don't normally see religion mocking and making fun of atheists?

I actually do, quite often. In fact, that's one of the things that makes it so enjoyable to debate it. Whenever the subject comes up I'm told how wrong I am by Christians (and other religious people). The problem is that the mocking is usually silly. Equivalent to childs play or relying on the assumption that the science is wrong (i.e., inside jokes based on fallacies). In general, it's pretty hard to really make fun of atheists.

For starters, we don't care. I couldn't really care less if I'm right or wrong. If there is a God, and he is good and peaceful and loves me, then I have to assume that he can accept my choice not to believe in him based on what little "evidence" he left behind. If it's not true that he's a loving, peaceful God then the Bible is wrong and the whole concept of a Christian God (the only one I'm familiar with) is moot anyway. Contrary to the "believe because I have nothing to lose" argument, I'm actually being honest with myself (and with a God, if one exists); whereas somebody claiming to believe just to cover their ass is clearly lying about their belief and would be considered a fraud by any competent God.

Besides, my "beliefs" are based on scientific evidence, logic, and reason. It's pretty difficult to challenge that without opening one's own beliefs up to scrutiny, and since religious beliefs are always based on faith that makes it pretty damn difficult to defend in a logical argument/discussion/debate. By definition, there is no logical defense. You either forfeit or lose.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Pythagoras never suggested it was valid on surfaces that weren't perfectly flat.

That equation is only true for N = 1 isn't it ?

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bam: Science does not answer all the "big questions", and it never will. IMO, most of these questions are flawed themselves (I'm kind of Zen that way), but everyone's entitled to their own interpretations.

Pythagoras never suggested it was valid on surfaces that weren't perfectly flat.

He didn't, because non-Euclidean geometry hadn't been invented yet.

Quote:

That equation is only true for N = 1 isn't it ?

Fixed. The gist is that given two points in N-space, you can calculate their straight-line distance by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the distances along each axis (provided the axes are aligned orthogonally and don't wrap).

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

(Shuffles away from the thread whistling)...

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

bamccaig said:

since religious beliefs are always based on faith that makes it pretty damn difficult to defend in a logical argument/discussion/debate. By definition, there is no logical defense. You either forfeit or lose.

Nah, there is a separation in accordance to their religion. That's the way that these things work.

They believe that only some can be saved, and hence only some of them can be saved. It's all about whether or not they can become aware of that. Those are the ones that are saved -- the ones whom abandon the ideals of their authorities and adopt the fractal realities of themselves.

;)

Not all religious people have it completely upside down. Mr. Barry has a grasp of how to deal with religion with a more realistic perspective. I have significantly more tolerance for non-denominational Christians, as I do hold the belief that Jesus of Nazareth told some rather provocative truths.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Seeing this thread makes me think God created humanity by taking a nasty dump.

WOW that was harsh. ;D

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Not trying to get into the conversation here and I'm not reading through the whole thread... These conversations last too long and go too quickly.

These days when someone asks me if I believe in God or not I flip a coin. Doesn't matter if they call it or if you call it, just flip it and let them decide what it means... ::)

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

_Kronk_ said:

the big bang theory has no credence.

People didn't dream up the idea of a Big Bang out of nothing, the idea came from observational evidence that there must have been one. It's also not a theory in the normal meaning of the word "theory", it'd be more accurately called a model (and in fact is).

_Kronk_ said:

Well, if you just disappear when you die, why not die now? What you live for now is irrelevant. Don't take this the wrong way; I Don't Want You To Kill Yourself, but without something absolute; something that cannot change to live for and see everything out of, everything else is meaningless. The ultimate beauty in life is seeing the hand of the Creator in everything that He lovingly created.

I never understand that argument. It's so silly.
If your ultimate goal is to meet "the Creator" and you meet him by dying, then why don't you go and kill yourself so you get to reach your goal sooner? (Don't bother answering that, by the way).
If this life is all you will ever have, then that makes it almost infinitely valuable. You have to make the most out of it, because after this there is nothing. That's why you don't go and kill yourself.

Now I'm going to skim the rest of the thread before dinner.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Thats the whole basis of science, provability.

No, it's falsifiability. If it can't be proven wrong, it's not science.

(BTW, I found this post absolutely hilarious. It's like all the misconceptions about evolution in one. :D)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Gnolam said:

(BTW, I found this post absolutely hilarious. It's like all the misconceptions about evolution in one. :D)

That made me laugh too!

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Evert said:

I never understand that argument. It's so silly.

Yeah, I used to believe the "if you don't believe in a higher power, then what's the point of living" methodology as well. Evert helped enlighten me there.

Quote:

If your ultimate goal is to meet "the Creator" and you meet him by dying, then why don't you go and kill yourself so you get to reach your goal sooner?

I know you said don't bother to answer, but I have some input. It's been on my mind before and I have wished death upon myself (even going as far as approaching how I would do it). Ultimately, I decided a long time ago that my existence has some purpose and I will be defying the god that I believe in by committing suicide and thus I must continue to live and attempt to discover what it is I'm supposed to be doing down here.

Anywho, just a random thought: I imagine the answer is "yes" to the question "does going to sleep make being awake more valuable"?

On another note, going way back to the pink unicorn (or the flying spaghetti monster), I haven't seen either so I suppose they could exist. Afterall, I don't think it's impossible that aliens exist. To me, just because it is unknown doesn't mean that is impossible, just more likely improbable. Then it just becomes a matter of saying if that probability is so low that it becomes neglectable. I'm of the faith that it is not in terms of a higher power. The question then becomes what is this higher power, what religion is right and then constantly spending my life meditating on that and trying to make a connection. I don't go around (anymore) cursing God when things go wrong or thanking God when things go right.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Go to: