Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Pet peeves.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Pet peeves.
Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

When someone is shot in a movie, and the person behind is splattered by blood (but not hit by a bullet). I assume the blood must come from the exit wound, meaning there must be a projectile flying out of it. What the fuck is up with that? >:(

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Wow, I've never thought of that.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

What about the "elevator trap door"? Look up in an elevator sometime.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

When someone is shot in a movie, and the person behind is splattered by blood (but not hit by a bullet)., I assume the blood must come from the exit wound, meaning there must be a projectile flying out of it.

Do you have a particular movie in mind? :-/

I have a lot of pet peeves. >:( Too many to list.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Bob Keane said:

What about the "elevator trap door"? Look up in an elevator sometime.

I've seen elevators with trap doors.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Conduct some field tests to confirm your theory?

Maybe the bullet takes on a different trajectory and not exit out in line with it's entry vector?

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I find it funny how they manage to break into a car and escape with it just by pulling out some cords from the ignition switch and then start the car by connecting two lose ends. They don't actually connect the ignition. They don't unlock the steering lock. I saw the best escape the other night in a movie - I think it was the one about a hi-jacked train, Steven Segal, a young Katherine Heigl - where the guy just ripped open the hood and found two lose cable ends there, started the engine with them and drove away.

But a real pet peeve of mine is the thing with image aspects. People really don't give a shit. It's amazing how many n*10k€ budget tv commercials end up in a screwed image aspect. It's amazing how many tv programs are shown in a strange letterbox format, where you get black bars at left, right, top and bottom, ending up in maybe 55% black screen. And it's amazing how many people prefer to set their wide screen tv sets on 16:9 instead of original aspect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Two of my pet peeves are movies and television. So ... yeah.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

When people at stores leave stuff (which they suddenly decide they don't want) out on the lane in random places, rather than giving them to us. We have an 'abandons' box for that (Ya, I'm a cashier).

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Conduct some field tests to confirm your theory?

Maybe the bullet takes on a different trajectory and not exit out in line with it's entry vector?

I've spent some time programming something called "Bullet through the head analysis" though I've never made my ideas/source code public. Heres a classic song by RATM.

video

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bamccaig said:

Do you have a particular movie in mind?

Pulp Fiction would be a textbook example.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Which scene?

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Car scene? Or does the window behind the guy shatter?

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I hate it when my Schwartz gets twisted.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I hate all the stupid explosions in movies. Supposedly thousands of people die every year because would-be Samaritans are worried about being blown to bits when the gas tank explodes. What really happens when a gas tank blows is a huge whoosh with an impressive fireball, with a blast that might move some clothes on a clothesline right next to it, OTOH it might not. On the gripping hand, if you stand within 15 meters of this car after the gas tank went, you'll probably get second degree burns in 30 seconds or so. The adrenaline rush might keep you from feeling the pain.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

cry babies

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I hate all the stupid explosions in movies. Supposedly thousands of people die every year because would-be Samaritans are worried about being blown to bits when the gas tank explodes. What really happens when a gas tank blows is a huge whoosh with an impressive fireball, with a blast that might move some clothes on a clothesline right next to it, OTOH it might not.

That happened around here I think maybe in 2009, could of been 2010, and it ended up taking out a bridge (because the truck was under said bridge when it stopped)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

On the theme of the fitness thread: people who don't want to lift weights because they "don't want to become too big". They clearly have absolutely no concept of how much dedication is involved. It's a bit like saying "I don't want a job because I wouldn't want to be super-rich".

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Which scene?

This scene, where Vincent Vega shoots Marvin in the face inside a car. The rear window is all splattered with blood, but remains intact.

That happened around here I think maybe in 2009, could of been 2010, and it ended up taking out a bridge (because the truck was under said bridge when it stopped)

Unless it was a tanker truck BLEVE, I have a hard time believing that. Gasoline just doesn't work that way.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

gnolam said:

This scene, where Vincent Vega shoots Marvin in the face inside a car.

There's no way for us to know whether or not the bullet made it through both sides. Depending on the ammunition, I imagine that could have damn near taken his head off at such short range. :P

I imagine a bullet will build pressure inside as it enters, which probably means that blood will be put under pressure and find the easiest path out, whether that's in the front, or in the back (assuming an exit has been opened up).

I don't know. I don't see anything in that scene that we can know is wrong. :-/ Though I definitely want to watch that movie now! :D

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

gnolam said:

Unless it was a tanker truck BLEVE, I have a hard time believing that. Gasoline just doesn't work that way.

Yea, it was a tanker truck.

video

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The fire probably caused more damage than the initial explosion. Gasoline is a rather low velocity explosive. The most you get out of it is the fireball, the pressure wave it rather low for most explosives, it surely won't take out a well made concrete bridge by itself. Now high temperatures can crack and otherwise undermine a bridge.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

bamccaig said:

There's no way for us to know whether or not the bullet made it through both sides.

Yes there is. It's very easy: people's heads don't just spontaneously puncture. Stuff exiting at the back => exit wound => the bullet passed through => the window should crack/shatter.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

gnolam said:

Yes there is. It's very easy: people's heads don't just spontaneously puncture. Stuff exiting at the back => exit wound => the bullet passed through => the window should crack/shatter.

OK, that sounds reasonable. Though I wonder if the bullet could have lost enough energy to not (though if that were the case I wouldn't expect so much energy in the blood/brain matter). :-/ Mythbusters, anyone? :P

Go to: