Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Pet peeves.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Pet peeves.
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Not putting { and } on their own lines is a pet peeve of mine. As is using them for single lines of code in an if statement.

Also, just ugly looking code in general. Stuff like "int i = blah(); return i;" when there is no reason you can't just do "return blah();"

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

If the "int i = blah(); return i;" had a line break there, there may have been some debugging stuff that was there that got removed. If it's on one line, then only if the language has some odd rule that breaks with that setup would I see a reason.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Yeah, with a line break in there. The latest example that comes to mind probably was for debugging, especially since the one-line version was commented out right below it.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

As GA, I had to teach many of "my" C++ students not to do that in trivial cases. This was quite common:

bool flag = func();
if (flag) ...

Most of them would have never thought to directly test the value of the function. "You can do that?" they would ask with amazement.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Here's a minor one: not having a newline at the end of a text file. >:(

[bamccaig@sephiroth ~]$ cat your_file
This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here. HUGE SUCCESS.[bamccaig@sephiroth ~]$ 

{"name":"FFFFFUUUUU.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/2\/e24b2cbb5f7cdeee04e0b10689a54437.jpg","w":358,"h":315,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/2\/e24b2cbb5f7cdeee04e0b10689a54437"}FFFFFUUUUU.jpg

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

bamccaig said:

Here's a minor one: not having a newline at the end of a text file. >:(

What are you doing? Blasting it to the screen with cat(1)?

I believe C compilers complain because they think it's a read error in the middle of a line.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Appended. :P I don't actually cat other people's files to stdout though. :-/ It even bothers me opening the file in a text editor. :P I bet I've added newlines to the end of files in Trezker's Cumulate and clipboard projects. ;D

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

There where missing newlines in those?
That's weird, I've been rather conscious about always having a newline at the end... And I think geany puts them in at save if missing.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I don't like the tools that complain to high heaven about it. Sure I prefer the new line at the end, but sometimes I forget. (Thank god I haven't had to use some tool that would crash or something if it was there)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Trezker said:

There where missing newlines in those?
That's weird, I've been rather conscious about always having a newline at the end... And I think geany puts them in at save if missing.

I don't know. I thought that I had fixed some, but I could be thinking of something else. :) I drink a lot. :-X

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

As GA, I had to teach many of "my" C++ students not to do that in trivial cases.

Also, things like if(blah == true) ... bug me.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I hate when people unload an entire cart full of groceries into a pile on the 20 items or fewer checkout. >:(

Those registers should stop scanning after the limit is reached. Then everything else should be thrown back into the person's face. >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Maybe they could have a switch (operated by the managers key) that would refuse to scan more than 20 items?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Nah. It sucks, but micromanagement like that is too much overhead to really be worth it. One of my pet peeves is sitting around waiting for a manager to flick a switch! >:(

The lane is just suppose to be smaller, so you can't fit that much on it.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I hate when stores put in self checkouts, effectively making you work for free. If I have to ring myself out, I should get a discount on my items.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

BAF said:

I hate when stores put in self checkouts, effectively making you work for free. If I have to ring myself out, I should get a discount on my items.

I love them. It's usually faster, and I don't have to interact with other people. 8-)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I love them. It's usually faster, and I don't have to interact with other people. 8-)

The BAFsters stay away from them, resulting in shorter lines. I'd suppose Adam Smith's invisible hand would reduce prices in the store due to less workload, although I don't see why they couldn't program in a discount right into the self-checkout to encourage its use.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You don't have to interact if you're buying one or two things and you bag everything. Try buying a case of beer or Pepsi or water or whatever, and then having the balls to put it back in your cart rather than playing Jenga with it on that tiny platform. Everything goes to hell.

About the only time I'll use one of those things is if all the lines are really long and I'm buying one or two things.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

I don't see why they couldn't program in a discount right into the self-checkout to encourage its use.

They could, but there's no need. People are using them anyway, because they're faster and you can avoid the awkward social contact.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Awkward social contact? What the hell do the cashiers over there do? :o Still, I'd love they got some of those self-checkouts over here for just a couple of items.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Dario ff said:

Awkward social contact? What the hell do the cashiers over there do?

They touch my food. They talk to me, saying all sorts of numbers. Some of them even greet me.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They touch my food. They talk to me, saying all sorts of numbers. Some of them even greet me.

They just do that so they can take your money! >:(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I actually prefer normal cashiers. I've only used the self-checkouts at one place, but the experience was not pleasant. It's probably been close to two years now, but I scanned the one thing that I was buying and put it in a bag. As I was paying, my brother picked up the bag to get ready to go, and the computer freaked out and said to put the bag back down and ask for assistance (from a person!)... :-/ NEVER AGAIN.

That particular place even has the self-checkouts arranged in a square with an employee standing at a podium in between you. Her job: basically to watch you and awkwardly help you if you have trouble.

They're not designed for people that aren't comfortable around people. They're designed to reduce the number of required employees. Computers should be my preferred checkout option, but it turns out the cashiers are less awkward to deal with than the computers. :( Plus, there's a chance that the cashier will be hot and nice, which only makes the experience pleasant. :)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

OH NO THEY SAID HI!!!!!! RUN FOR THE MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I've never had an 'awkward social encounter' with a cashier. What annoys me more is when they have someone standing at the door chasing you down to check your receipt, as if you're a criminal.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

BAF said:

What annoys me more is when they have someone standing at the door chasing you down to check your receipt, as if you're a criminal.

Sam's Club really annoys me. You have to have a membership card to shop at their store. And if you don't, then they will not let you SPEND MONEY ON THEIR CRAP! It just seems so asinine...

Go to: