Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I would love to farm it for sandstone/glass ... if the server will play nice for a freaking change. Anyone saintly enough to drop some in my chest will receive as thanks all the items currently in my inventory! (read: nothing)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I just removed a large chunk. Like 10 stacks so far ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You do all know the sand/gravel mining trick, right?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

continue...

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I'm guessing he means the trick of mining the bottom block, and quickly replacing it with a torch. All the rest of the blocks that fall on it will be mined automatically.

I don't find it to be much faster, but it does save on shovels.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

so it's more like finding new ways of hiding the tedium like when you used to do lines at school. But that wouldn't work at my spot mentioned, it's more horizontal than vertical. And there's a fair bit of shallow coal too, which is handy.

I only need 816 more sand blocks to finish my structure :)

Well, a few more as I'd like to make a glass walkway.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I would probably mine 10 times as much of sand if they hadn't nerfed click mining. :-/

And the trick you're mentioning didn't work on SMP when we tried it with miquelfire as soon as the server started. The blocks broke, but you couldn't pick 'em up.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It works for me on SMP. If you have a huge sand area where you can dig down ~10 or so blocks, its fairly efficient to mine that way.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

It works for me on SMP. If you have a huge sand area where you can dig down ~10 or so blocks, its fairly efficient to mine that way.

The areas I started working with were only 3-4 blocks deep, but a very wide area. I'm also not very good at doing anything that quick in minecraft, so I'd probably not get the torch in there fast enough.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Hold left mouse until the sand/gravel block is mined, then immediately right click to place it. You have a fair amount of time to do it - at least a few hundred milliseconds. If you have any level of dexterity in your hands beyond that of an 80 year old, it shouldn't be that difficult. ;)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

BAF said:

Hold left mouse until the sand/gravel block is mined, then immediately right click to place it

You forgot the step of changing from shovel to torch.

Quote:

If you have any level of dexterity in your hands beyond that of an 80 year old, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I've tried countless times, and I simply can't do it.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Just dig with the torch.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

My client is acting up again, crashing and whatnot, cant even stay in the game for more than a few minutes. :-/

Well, I'll try again tomorrow, hope it'll work.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

What gnolam said.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

People make shovels for sand?! :o

In seriousness, I was actually able to log on and do some work despite the server's best efforts, and all the donated sand has now been applied, making one quadrant actually kinda close to being finished. I'll farm sand if the connection improves (is this some known thing? I swear things were fine up to a specific patch day) or just keep applying what I find in the chest. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

People make shovels for sand?!

And gravel. It goes a lot faster with a shovel than with a pick.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I'm pretty sure the pick on gravel is actually slower than the bare hand ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I hadn't actually considered mining sand/gravel with the torch. I'll try it next time I need some sand for glass.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Would someone please remind me of the address to this wonderful server? Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

It's just mc.baf.cc. Type it in and it will work. Unfortunately, I haven't been on in a while. Partly due to lag, and partly due to me working on a different server for a while. It's not as fun though since mobs are off.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I made a gold shovel the other day. It didn't last very long.

LennyLen mentioned uploading his hydro-slide a few message up, how do you do that?

Neil.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

LennyLen mentioned uploading his hydro-slide a few message up, how do you do that?

You'll need software for recording the screen. I use Camtasia Studio myself, but anything will do. Then, once you have the video, just upload it to YouTube.

Which reminds me that I forgot to do that recording!

edit:

Here it is:

video

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

ah, I thought you meant you were working on the slide on your single player then were going to upload bits of it to a server :)

Neil.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

ah, I thought you meant you were working on the slide on your single player then were going to upload bits of it to a server

Actually, now that you mention it, I was also meaning that I would upload my world directory.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

What would be nice is a mod that lets you define shapes of blocks and place them, e.g. 5x5 grid of stone, assuming you have enough resources. It would speed up creating repeating stuff no end, like walls and such.

Neil.

Go to: