Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Then get creative and build something. :P

If what you want is more content, then you should still agree with what I'm saying. Notch should make minecraft stable, and add support for plugins.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta Said:
Beta is the software development phase following alpha (beta is the second letter of the ancient Greek alphabet, used as the number 2. It is not nowadays usual to speak of a later gamma test). It generally begins when the software is feature complete. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing.

Also - I hate creepers. They've destroyed my mine thrice and stole my materials twice :(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

And a direct quote from you shows that you were starting it?

And I was just replying to someone else ::) so no I didn't start it. And I didn't want to continue it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

If you want to protect your castles, it would be wise to use defensive systems

video
(or simply put a lava shower all around it :P )

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

bamccaig said:

I think he just means not built near wood, similar to how somebody lighting a cigarette probably doesn't want to do so standing next to a gas pump.

How close is too close?

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

I've been toying with the idea of building a wooden tower too. I think I'd try to add a TNT layer activated when a torch burns out to stop the spread of fire. What could go wrong?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I was thinking of making a giant peg into the sky, made from sand, held up with torches. Let the water in, torches go out, and we get to watch a tower of sand fall straight into the ground. Probably been done, but hey.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

FMC said:

If you want to protect your castles, it would be wise to use defensive systems

Castles are almost useless. I'm making a big one, but it's almost entirely eye candy.

When that's done, I'd like to make a real defensive structure. I've got some neat ideas.

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

Quote:

Dustin D: "How close is too close?"

My experience is two to three blocks is too close. Usually I just embed generators in Cobblestone without a trace of flammable material within three blocks. I also create fail-safes (wood + gravel) to prevent lava or fire from spreading.

I understand that isn't too easy in a tower.

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

My cobblestone mansion is practically complete (only a few interior doors missing, and maybe some interior decorations) and has been connected to the world, and I think I've added a POI.

It's nothing compared to some of the stuff other people built, but it is quite nice and consists of quite a few floors and rooms, feel free to explore it and to furnish it if you feel like it.

I'll probably mine tons of dirt and then build a flying island below the mansion to make it look more aesthetically pleasing after I recharge my batteries :X

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I haven't been able to connect to the server today. Is anyone else having problems?

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

The server is dead. Long live the server!

It should be up soon, blabbity blah, other things the DC has said to us. I think the machine is off, and they just haven't pushed the power button. We're harassing them about it.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Hey, this is the second time in the server's short history that the DC has been at fault for downtime. :(

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Bad DC!

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I blame CGames - he picked it. :P The DC I picked is still up. ;P

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Well, I managed to log onto the server, but it isn't working right.

The map doesn't seem to be updating/saving. I made some changes in my mine, then I died (incidentally, I did not spawn at the spawn point), when I got back to my mine, the changes I had made were gone, returned to the state it was in before I changed it.

I made the changes again, then I logged out then back in. I logged out outside my mine, but when I came in I was down inside my mine (in the same spot I logged out in last time I played), and all the changes were gone again.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Neil, that was probably a lag issue, but if you continue seeing it, we'll restore the map from a backup a few hours before the power failure.

--

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

it isn't working right.

Same thing is happening to me. I can do anything I want but if I disconnect and reconnect, no changes are persisted (i.e. like if nothing was done). Is the world's filesystem mounted readonly perhaps?

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Investigating...

[edit]
The filesystem is full from too many backups. I'm tweaking my clean script and then I'll restore 12:30am yesterday morning (the last backup completed before the disk filled up) - just in case something got fubared from nothing being able to save. I don't think much will be lost, but if there is, let me know (I'll take a backup before I do this).

[edit]
And we're back.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

The filesystem is full from too many backups.

And you were so proud of all your new scripts ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I knew I wasn't crazy! :P

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I just hadn't put the cleanup script into cron yet, as I didn't have a sufficient range of backups to test with. Now I do, and now it works. :P

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

By "cleanup script", you mean "more hdd space"?

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

If you look at the script, and read the message I had sent you, you'd realize that there was a reason for that. :P

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Great! Just in time for more ground-breaking(literally) additions tomorrow! ;)

Unless Notch has really learned to test his updates this time.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Go to: