Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I think it's actually slightly brighter than a torch.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So if I build two portals 32 blocks apart in the real word, they'll be 4 blocks apart in the ether?

Or more usefully, if you build one in the real world, go to the Ether/Nether, walk (or run ;D) say, 10 or 20 blocks, build a gate, you'll end up 80 blocks or so away from your first gate.

Also, I think gates that are close in either world will end up going to the closest gate in the other... So I don't know if you could build a gate only 4 blocks away from another gate in the nether.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I think I'm going to build my main base in the Nether. I already have a tunnel connecting two portals... I might just expand off of that.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Unless you're playing on peaceful, you be crazy to think of doing that. I demand pictures! Maybe video if you can do it!

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I haven't seen awesome roller coasters in the Nether yet. Minecrafters are slacking!

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Billybob said:

I haven't seen awesome roller coasters in the Nether yet. Minecrafters are slacking!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nether+minecart&aq=f ;)

---------
Signature.
----

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Unless you're playing on peaceful, you be crazy to think of doing that.

To my shame, I kept it on peaceful while building my tunnel in the Nether. But I plan on building the main base with mobs on. I'm going to gear up in the regular world first, gather food and equipment and supplies, then go down and get to building.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Or more usefully, if you build one in the real world, go to the Ether/Nether, walk (or run ) say, 10 or 20 blocks, build a gate, you'll end up 80 blocks or so away from your first gate.

Also, I think gates that are close in either world will end up going to the closest gate in the other... So I don't know if you could build a gate only 4 blocks away from another gate in the nether

I don't know if it's a glitch, but I built two Nether gates about 1 world apart. One is near the bottom of the world while the other is in my basement. They are definitely >300 squares apart. In the nether they are only 10 squares apart.

It's a very convient way to warp down to my mine in maybe 12 seconds.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Grrrr

We need our own server. If someone doesn't get one up sometime this week, I'll try to set up my old PC and start one (dedicated 24/7).

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'd set one up on my home server, but I'm uncertain about the memory and bandwidth requirements. My home server could use a bit more memory, and a lot more upload...

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

You'd probably need about 8 GBs of RAM to pull off a working server with more than 5 players.

---------
Signature.
----

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

You'd probably need about 8 GBs of RAM to pull off a working server with more than 5 players.

I totally forgot about the amount of RAM Minecraft uses.

Nevermind, I can't host one :'(

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I think the default memory allocation for a Minecraft server is 1 gig, if you look at http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp you'll see he recommends running it with java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui which afaik runs the jvm with a 1 gigabyte limit (I think the default is 256M).
Minecraft singleplayer definitely runs with 1 gigabyte and usually ends up using half of that.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think thats only if it still leaks like a siv. Does it? I can't imagine a smaller world would need 8G ram all to itself. My entire home server manages to run on 4G of ram, and have half of it mostly unused most of the time. My desktop has 6G ram, but I really don't want to keep it running, its a power hog.

If I can find some cheap DDR3 2-4G sticks for my home server, I'd add another 4-8G to it. (its also a quad core and should have enough cpu power)

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui which afaik runs the jvm with a 1 gigabyte limit (I think the default is 256M).
Minecraft singleplayer definitely runs with 1 gigabyte and usually ends up using half of that.

I dunno, it seems like java can decide to use more memory when ever it feels like. I had run minecraft with 512M, and the memory allocated to it according to some fancy python script that parses a special kernel file that exports the real memory use of a program, was over 1-1.5G

--

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Strange. Maybe it is a configuration issue because I distinctly remember a Java application crashing due to lack of memory, and increasing the amount the jvm gets (via exactly these command line parameters) fixed the issue.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Maybe its some quirk of how the game works on linux. I dunno.

--

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I'm getting a "can't connect to Minecraft.net" error when trying to long in. Is this happening to anyone else right now?

I am too. I'm assuming it is because minecraft.net is down (or at least it seems to be from here).

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I dunno, it seems like java can decide to use more memory when ever it feels like.

It seems like -Xmx, which defines the maximum heap size, is something that can't be surpassed. I have seen this happen with memory-intensive Java services before, and I can assure you, once you but up against that limit, out of memory exceptions start being thrown.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Maybe its some quirk of how the game works on linux. I dunno.

Did you manually specify a 512M limit? Does it automatically specify any limit on its own?

Anyway, I'm hoping someone hosts an Allegro server, I'm a bit burnt out on singleplayer and my few forays into multiplayer show me servers that are way too busy and advanced for me to join and enjoy, so having a small Allegro server would be pretty cool. (Even if I'd probably be alone there all of the time :X)

On a side note, I've tried extracting my username and password from the dialer and only managed to get a username :( (either that or my password is something like ({[++]}) and doesn't work when I try to connect directly from my router) further googling also suggests that getting over that POS is going to be a PITA.

On an even sider* side note, turns out that the problems my macbook gave me on wireless were solved by switching off N networks on my router, probably because according to wikipedia my macbook air supports draft-n.
((I changed from my POS router to a brand new one and still had troubles, but the new one had an advanced enough interface to switch from mixed b/g/n mode to mixed b/g mode which solved the problem))
(((I'm talking about troubles I talked about in another thread)))
(((())))

*-hooray for making up words

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

There might be some (really bad) overhead with Java apps, so if you tell Java to use only 1G, the program might use up to 2G in actual RAM.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Connect to cgamesplay.com.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Worked, but I don't know how to talk. I also have zilch resources; off to make a wooden pickaxe I guess ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Press T to talk.

---------
Signature.
----

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I'll try installing hey0's mod right quick, ignore the downtime for a bit.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

It seems like -Xmx, which defines the maximum heap size, is something that can't be surpassed. I have seen this happen with memory-intensive Java services before, and I can assure you, once you but up against that limit, out of memory exceptions start being thrown.

I used both memory limit flags, set to 512M. And it was still showing > 1G use.

Did you manually specify a 512M limit? Does it automatically specify any limit on its own?

I think java has a default of 256M or something, and you can expand that by setting the -X flags.

--

Go to: