Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Yet another Minecraft Thread - Halloween Update Incoming!
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

It chugged back to life after a while.

Yeah, after a server reboot :)

Quote:

And the results were spectacular.

Yup, nothing like blowing away a massive mountain or making a hole that goes straight to bedrock in one shot.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I accidentally started a forest fire today (in singleplayer). Half of my world is on fire and it keeps spreading. Now I've got huge fields of burning tree trunks that look terrible.

I love this game. ;D

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

{"name":"1082317332_5FfGY-L.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7bdb617c55bd9b9d52775a2de459739.jpg","w":800,"h":401,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7bdb617c55bd9b9d52775a2de459739"}1082317332_5FfGY-L.jpg

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I keep generating new worlds over and over and over and over. I can't get a world that I'm comfortable with :-/

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You need to build an air mattress.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I spent most of my time underground with my first two worlds so it really didn't matter what the above ground looked like.

Also, don't bother with that MinePlumper thing. It works well. Maybe too well. I Found it created so much of the minerals that it made the game less enjoyable. There was no real reward on finding a new vein, because there was three more around it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I downloaded "Minecraft Alpha" to see what the fuss was about... and it said wouldn't let me play until I created an account — so I created an account — then it said it still wouldn't let me play because my account wasn't "premium". I wonder what would come next if I got a premium account; maybe it would say I could play only after I entered my email address password into my minecraft account details or something like that; and then I'd have to post a kidney to Notch; and so on. Bah. This game isn't as fun as you guys make it sound. And Minecraft 'classic' appears to be web-based only, which I don't like. I want to delete my account now but it won't let me do that either. :(

-----------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I downloaded "Minecraft Alpha" to see what the fuss was about... and it said wouldn't let me play until I created an account — so I created an account — then it said it still wouldn't let me play because my account wasn't "premium". I wonder what would come next if I got a premium account;

Nothing. You have to pay for the game to play Alpha. If you just want to play classic, find the page where you can play the applet version.

I wonder what you were expecting? It is a commercial game after all.

also, this is neat:

video

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I was expecting to be able to download and play the game for free in single player mode, but have to pay for multiplayer mode. I thought the business mode was that the game would be free up until some point in time at which it would branch into a free version which is no longer updated (effectively a demo version) and a commercial version which continues to get updates. I expected the branch point to be when the game enters the "beta" phase.

I hope that answer eases your curiosity about what I was expecting!

Anyway, I'm a bit miffed because I feel like I've fallen victim to a bait-and-switch scam. I didn't lose any money obviously, but I just don't like that kind of behavior. The website and the game both gave the impression that I just needed to sign up and then I could play – but then when I did that, I still couldn't play. And now I can't undo what was done. I can't delete my account. just another number_of_registered_accounts++, and Notch has permanent access to my email address, and a throw-away password.

I don't mean for this to sound like a big deal. It really isn't a big deal at all. I'm just saying that I don't like it.

-----------

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Minecraft Alpha [The latest!]: In browser | Download
Minecraft Classic [Free!]: Single player | Multi player

The below title suggests it is free. The first one does not have that "free" part. What does this tell us? If you click "In browser" it slaps "you need to buy the game to play infdev". I mean, what made you think the downloaded version would behave different?

But thats just me, I never had a problem with Notch's system.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Thanks for that analysis.

-----------

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Look, if you want to try the game, download the Alpha version, disconnect yourself from the Internet, then choose "Play offline" and you can play the game without buying it.

But please do buy it if you like it. :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I bought it, and found it worth the $14 cad. Though so far I've only played it for a few days. But for like 12 hours straight each day (one day far more than 12 :o), it seems I have a thing with overdoing things ;D heh

But yeah, I like it, but I hope it gets better. The physics need a boost, especially the mine carts.

--

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

You mean when you give them a push and they go for miles? I'd be nice to see building come crashing down if you remove the foundations or the support wall. ;D

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Vanneto said:

isconnect yourself from the Internet, then choose "Play offline"

You can only play offline after having played online at least once.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Oh, yes, it needs to download the necessary files. My bad. Well, there is still bittorrent.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Korval:
If Starcraft 2 is worth $180, Minecraft was a drop in the ocean. ;)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

My non indie-gamer buddy forced me to play this game instead of hitting up the bars. Now I bought the damn thing too. ::)

$15 seems high.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Meh, $15 bucks is a few hours of fun at the bar. I've probably already sunk 30 hours into MineCraft. Well worth it IMO.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Paying money to lose more time isn't an equitable argument.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Don't buy games if you don't want to "lose" time. Seems painfully obvious to me.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Korval

What? He hasn't been here in years.

The changeset for tomorrow, expect:

General fixes:

• players and mobs in lava or fire no longer spam sound effects

• getting hit with a higher damage while recovering from a smaller one now works as intended

• lava flows further in the Nether

• zombie pigs eventually forgives

• added support for custom texture packs

• fixed duplicate buttons when resizing screens

• zombie pigs and ghasts no longer get hurt by fire or lava

• fixed volume sliders now saving properly

Multiplayer fixes:

• hellworld=true no longer overwrites old save chunks. Player positions will still break if you switch it on a running server, though

• boats are now visible to other players

• minecarts move nicer

• fishing kinda sorta works, but needs more work

• sheep and cows look like sheep and cows now

• buckets work now

• fixed stairs being really difficult to destroy

• increased the timeout before “Took too long to log in”

• made it possible to ride carts and boats (pigs should work too..)

I'm really excited about the minecarts fixes, because those suck and that's kinda the reason I haven't played more multiplayer.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What? He hasn't been here in years.

Holy crap. Good point.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Now that I've finally finished my first mine (which led to secret caves and lava pools...and a dungeon!), I've decided to start mapping my surroundings. I went to a large dune and built an observation tower to get a good look of the land's layout. The lake right next to my base/spawn point is going to be the center of my map and, from there, I will expand!

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've noticed one flaw with Minecraft. It really doesn't have the world depth that I'd like to see. You can't have huge mountains and with great cliffs into deep chasms.

{"name":"018iceland.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc.jpg","w":800,"h":477,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/402e54e43c40a8998dac481e60c26ffc"}018iceland.jpg

I understand the memory issue in doing that. But I really think it would be beneficial to have support multiple stacked chunks (mountain chunk, ground chunk, underground chunk) and you would only need a mountain chunk if the mountain existed.

I'd really like to see vast mountain ranges like the Smokey Mountains:

{"name":"great-smoky-mountains.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7febd605e45d12d403dcb919d420dcd4.jpg","w":415,"h":332,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7febd605e45d12d403dcb919d420dcd4"}great-smoky-mountains.jpg

-----sig:

Go to: