Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mah Sekrit Projact

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Mah Sekrit Projact
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

The intention is to always show the landscape type you're currently standing or travelling on

I feel like you should be able to see the landscape type of the places around where you are. Maybe make it so someone could build a tower, or something, that would let us see the area around?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Oh hey, spearfishing. Neat. :)

But this puzzles me a bit:

Quote:

Result:
* maybe about 100.0 g salmon

Is that a probabilistic expected value per try, or are the salmon incredibly small in this world? :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Well, if not for an approximate finish time, at least make the percent finished digit a bit more precise. Like 0.05% finished. :P

I am desperate to see some progress in my projects!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Vanneto said:

I am desperate to see some progress in my projects

If your projects stay at 0%, then you might want to check:

• are all requirements met?

• have you actually started the project?

gnolam said:

Is that a probabilistic expected value per try, or are the salmon incredibly small in this world?

In real life, spear-fishing is pretty damn hard, and so the expected outcome is relatively low. Since I can't model "chance of success" yet, I decided to make the output small with a large deviation (you'll receive between 0 and 200g for each run). Once I can model success chance, it's probably going to be something like "between 3 and 5 kg of salmon, with a 10% success chance".

I feel like you should be able to see the landscape type of the places around where you are. Maybe make it so someone could build a tower, or something, that would let us see the area around?

The mini map is designed to do exactly this: It gives you clues about the surrounding landscape, but only up to a certain distance, and with a certain fuzzyness. Grey = mountains, shades of green = forest / bushland / grassland, yellow = sand / beach, blue = water.
I might make it so that the distance gets larger when you're inside a high building, or something like that.

Why do I have a feeling that my newest character appeared neared where my second character got left behind...

There are only so many spawn locations, so this may well be true. I have to rewrite the map editor before I can do serious work on expanding the map and managing spawn locations.

bamccaig said:

There appears to be a run-time error on the site.

It's PHP. All errors are run-time. Anyway, my logs didn't catch anything, so could you maybe give me some details? What were you doing, etc.?

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Anyway, my logs didn't catch anything, so could you maybe give me some details? What were you doing, etc.?

I'm rather surprised that I could be the only one seeing it.

Quote:

Fatal error: Call to a member function canSpawnCharacter() on a non-object in /home/tdammers/domains/tobiasdammers.nl/public_html/rpg/uc/MiniCharlist.php on line 33

I wasn't really doing anything, AFAIK. I think that I just logged in at home and that is what I was faced with (or I don't remember what I was doing at the time). The site seems to work now that I've started back at the root of the URI. Perhaps my session expired and the code doesn't handle that gracefully? Judging from the URI, I was at the FAQ in the Wiki, but I'm a little intoxicated now and there's a good chance that I was intoxicated then too. :P

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Why is there a logout button on the login screen?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bamccaig said:

I wasn't really doing anything, AFAIK. I think that I just logged in at home and that is what I was faced with (or I don't remember what I was doing at the time). The site seems to work now that I've started back at the root of the URI. Perhaps my session expired and the code doesn't handle that gracefully? Judging from the URI, I was at the FAQ in the Wiki, but I'm a little intoxicated now and there's a good chance that I was intoxicated then too.

Your session timed out, and you tried to open a wiki page, but for that you need to be logged in. See your PM for details.

Why is there a logout button on the login screen?

Kind of a leftover. I'll remove it some time unless I forget to.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Why exactly do you require people to be logged in to read the wiki?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Trezker said:

Why exactly do you require people to be logged in to read the wiki?

bamccaig said:

Just another temporary consequence of the system design.

Sort of kind of, yes. I'll see if I can change that; the wiki can be public without major consequences I think.

--- edit ---
OK, fixed it. And while I was at it, overhauled a lot of the out-of-game menus. Hope y'all like it.

---
---

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

In real life, spear-fishing is pretty damn hard, and so the expected outcome is relatively low. Since I can't model "chance of success" yet, I decided to make the output small with a large deviation (you'll receive between 0 and 200g for each run).

Ah. :)
Speaking of "each run", the project repeat function doesn't quite work as expected - I would expect it to complete each run individually instead of just multiplying the results and required time by the number of repetitions (e.g. if you cancelled a "gather wood x 3" project at, say, 90%, you would still have performed "gather wood" twice). But I suspect that's also in the pipeline somewhere. :)

BTW, there are places where the game is vulnerable to malicious links. Nothing too bad, but being able to e.g. log out people by linking them to http://rpg.tobiasdammers.nl/general/Login.php?logout=1 could still be exploited...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

gnolam said:

Speaking of "each run", the project repeat function doesn't quite work as expected - I would expect it to complete each run individually instead of just multiplying the results and required time by the number of repetitions (e.g. if you cancelled a "gather wood x 3" project at, say, 90%, you would still have performed "gather wood" twice). But I suspect that's also in the pipeline somewhere. :)

Hmm... not really, but now that you mention it, I might think about it. My plan was to use the repeat count as a multiplier, without providing a means of accessing the results halfway through. I was even going to go the other way, making it a nonlinear factor, such that for example a project could produce three times the output in twice the time - just like in real life, where baking ten breads doesn't take ten times as long as baking one bread; it takes longer, but not ten times.

Quote:

BTW, there are places where the game is vulnerable to malicious links. Nothing too bad, but being able to e.g. log out people by linking them to http://rpg.tobiasdammers.nl/general/Login.php?logout=1 could still be exploited...

I'm curious as to how. Sure, you can post a logout link anywhere you like, and anyone following it will be logged out - but what's the big deal? Without an XSS vulnerability, you can't make people follow such a link, and even if you can, the worst thing you can do is log them out. Session hijacking and the fact that cookies are sent in clear text is a much bigger concern IMO.

---
---

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Tobias, I just created a new note project, a few words only. And its been more than an hour and my note shows up in the inventory, but its blank...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Hmm... not really, but now that you mention it, I might think about it. My plan was to use the repeat count as a multiplier, without providing a means of accessing the results halfway through. I was even going to go the other way, making it a nonlinear factor, such that for example a project could produce three times the output in twice the time - just like in real life, where baking ten breads doesn't take ten times as long as baking one bread; it takes longer, but not ten times.

I rather like your idea as well. I think that your idea would be better described as "batch" activities instead of repetitions, however. If you think about it, there is a limit to how many loaves of bread that can fit in an oven. After that, subsequent loaves will have to wait until the first batch is finished. It would add complexity, but it would be more true to life to allow both ideas where applicable. That said, if I had to choose, I would prefer the ability to cancel a repeated task and still get the output for the number of repetitions that should be completed. It makes more logical sense and is also more convenient for the player (without really being different in terms of output from starting an activity over and over again).

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I'm not sure why, but every once in a while, I'll log in, then go to click on a character who has a new event, and get the login screen.

And it's not a session timeout as this is in the span of a minute or maybe less.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Vanneto said:

Tobias, I just created a new note project, a few words only. And its been more than an hour and my note shows up in the inventory, but its blank...

Does your character's status say "writing"?

bamccaig said:

I rather like your idea as well. I think that your idea would be better described as "batch" activities instead of repetitions, however. If you think about it, there is a limit to how many loaves of bread that can fit in an oven. After that, subsequent loaves will have to wait until the first batch is finished. It would add complexity, but it would be more true to life to allow both ideas where applicable. That said, if I had to choose, I would prefer the ability to cancel a repeated task and still get the output for the number of repetitions that should be completed. It makes more logical sense and is also more convenient for the player (without really being different in terms of output from starting an activity over and over again).

Phew - two options, one easy, one harder, and you want both? Demanding audience I got myself there. But you're right, ideally I'd want to model both the premature cancellation and economies of scale. Maybe I can make it so that the progress itself is simply evaluated nonlinearly, that is, the further into your project you are, the faster the progress goes, but with another limit to prevent the output rate from growing indefinitely. So baking ten breads might take twice as long as baking one bread, but baking a hundred breads would take maybe 9.8 times as long as baking ten: at one hundred breads, there is no extra efficiency gain over ten, except you save time pre-heating the oven. At least the latest version has project success rates; for example, spear-fishing now has a 40% chance of success, but when you succeed, you'll receive a whole fish, about 2 kg.

I'm not sure why, but every once in a while, I'll log in, then go to click on a character who has a new event, and get the login screen.

And it's not a session timeout as this is in the span of a minute or maybe less.

The version I just published has persistent login; I hope this solves the issue.

---
---

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Indeed the status was "writing" and my note is now written. :D

Tobias: do signs next! I know you said that you need to think about how you should implement them... Just make them like notes, you create a sign from wood, write something on it (would need a tool) and then you'd need a hammer to put it in the ground.

Simple!

Please? :-/

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Yup, that's pretty much how signs are going to work. Only thing that's missing is that I want a list of writing techniques (quill & ink, pencil, carving into wood, etc.), and link them to suitable tools and objects you can write on. Otherwise, you'd be able to write on a wooden sign using ink, or carve messages into paper, that's just not realistic. Anyway, I'd also want different CSS styling for different writing techniques, so that for example an inscription in stone has a grayish background and uses a typeface that looks somewhat engraved.

---
---

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Phew - two options, one easy, one harder, and you want both? Demanding audience I got myself there. But you're right, ideally I'd want to model both the premature cancellation and economies of scale. Maybe I can make it so that the progress itself is simply evaluated nonlinearly, that is, the further into your project you are, the faster the progress goes, but with another limit to prevent the output rate from growing indefinitely. So baking ten breads might take twice as long as baking one bread, but baking a hundred breads would take maybe 9.8 times as long as baking ten: at one hundred breads, there is no extra efficiency gain over ten, except you save time pre-heating the oven.

It feels like a simple model with just the time per item and project overhead could work well enough. I.e. ttotal = tstartup + n*tper_item. :)

Quote:

Items now rot over time. An item's rot status is indicated verbally (e.g. "brand new", "old", etc.)

I hope that only applies to perishables. From my experiences in other games, having universal time-based item status depreciation is a) annoying and b) (except for special cases) unrealistic.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

gnolam said:

I hope that only applies to perishables. From my experiences in other games, having universal time-based item status depreciation is a) annoying and b) (except for special cases) unrealistic.

Well, we can tell you've never had a girlfriend!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Kalliokoski +1
Wait, was the "ko" part always there in your name?

Anyway, I came here to say CantrII sent out a mail saying it's coming back!
So it's time to shut down this project, right Mr Dammers? ;)

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Hi,

Could I have an invite?

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Trezker said:

Wait, was the "ko" part always there in your name?

It was there in the first grade when the teacher made me write it 100 (?) times so I'd stop misspelling it. There's lots of us on Google.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: