Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mah Sekrit Projact

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Mah Sekrit Projact
Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I have a little interface issue. When you first log in you get to choose character on the left side. But then that menu jumps to the right side and for a moment I get confused and think I still need to select a character.

I'm beginning to feel I'm constantly nagging about features...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Trezker said:

I have a little interface issue. When you first log in you get to choose character on the left side. But then that menu jumps to the right side and for a moment I get confused and think I still need to select a character.

I don't get confused by it, but I do find it a little bit distracting. My eyes are usually on the menu when the page changes and then suddenly I see it jump to the other side of the page. I think it would be more consistent if it stayed put, but that's just one opinion.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Yeah, the character list position isn't final yet. The reason I put it right in the in-game screens is that it's less important there, but I agree that having it jump back and forth is irritating.

BTW, I just rolled out another update.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

BTW, I just rolled out another update.

I giggle like a schoolgirl every time I see that. Keep on the good work, I'm really enjoying the game.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Feature request: estimated completion time for projects. E.g.

Quote:

Created: Year 1, day 1, 00:00
Started: Year 1, day 1, 0:00
Progress: 0%
Repeats: 1
Completion time at current rate: Year 1, day 1, 13:00

Also: there's a misspelling in the game. Or Dan Quayle has been editing the Wiki. ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Tobias: the map server returns images of maps even if its not a map of my character. Here is an image of where character with the id 1 is:

MapServer.php

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

gnolam said:

Feature request: estimated completion time for projects. E.g.
Quote:

Created: Year 1, day 1, 00:00
Started: Year 1, day 1, 0:00
Progress: 0%
Repeats: 1
Completion time at current rate: Year 1, day 1, 13:00

I'd love to have this too, but as I said before, this isn't as trivial as you might think, due to the random deviation added to a project's duration. I don't want to give away that deviation instantly, because then people could just set up the same project multiple times and go with the fastest one. It'll have to be something like, display the non-deviated completion time at the beginning, and slowly transition into a more accurate estimate as the project progresses.

Quote:

Also: there's a misspelling [rpg.tobiasdammers.nl] in the game. Or Dan Quayle [secure.wikimedia.org] has been editing the Wiki.

Fixed. :o

Vanneto said:

Tobias: the map server returns images of maps even if its not a map of my character. Here is an image of where character with the id 1 is:

Should be fixed now. Try it.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I just wrote my first note. But it doesn't seem to complete. My status is saying "Writing". But the note is already available in my inventory, what would happen if I drop it before I'm done writing?

Anyway I think it's a bit strange that it has to take ingame time to write a note when you have to take real time to type in the text anyway.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Update time!

Trezker said:

I just wrote my first note. But it doesn't seem to complete. My status is saying "Writing". But the note is already available in my inventory, what would happen if I drop it before I'm done writing?

Notes should now finish, although it may take some time to write longer ones.

The reason writing takes in-game time is twofold.

First of all, in cantrII, I found the sheer amount of notes and the casual way in which people exchanged them unrealistic and disruptive of the role playing experience. I've seen people do entire conversations using notes, at the same speed others would talk. Copying a note takes no time at all in cantrII, even if the note is in fact a huge book - you could make a dozen Bibles (or Books of the Onion or whatever) in a matter of seconds, while working on something else. In real life, having to resort to writing instead of talking significantly impacts the communication, and I want it to be similar in the game. In other words, writing should be significantly more expensive than talking.

The second reason is that I'm thinking about modelling writing skills. Someone who has good reading & writing skills will finish notes within seconds, someone with a lower skill level might take longer, and someone completely illiterate could be prevented from reading and writing notes altogether (showing text in notes as "lorem ipsum" or "blah blah blah" or something like that, only revealing the length of the note, but not the content).

I also made it so you can't drop notes or give them away until you're done writing. The reason the note is in your inventory goes like this: Normally, when you start a writing project, you write on an object that is, well, writeable - a note, a booklet, a book, or maybe something else; however, since "paper" is a splittable resource, the engine cannot allow writing on paper directly. To allow writing on paper without burdening you with having to create a "turn paper into note" project, a special case has been added that allows selecting "paper" for writing. When you do this, a note is created for you behind the scenes, and the writing project is attached to that note.

---
---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think that it makes sense for notes to take some time to write. I can certainly type a LOT faster than I can write. Not to mention that the more you write the more difficult it becomes (because your hands get sore over time, etc.).

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Sounds a bit complicated, but workable.
I think your reasons are good.

Well now we have paper and I have written my first note, maybe the first note in the world? I hope people will do some creative stuff with booklets and stuff.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

My characters are in the process of getting the needed stuff to write notes.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

A few ideas on completion time estimates: (from someone who never played cantr or this game)
1) Give an inaccurate estimate and also
2) Update the given estimate only after some progress (like every 10%)
3) Split each project into milestones (maybe one for each 10%) and only show time until the next milestone (and instead of choosing random completion time for the whole project, randomize each milestone so that even optimizing the first milestone [which is all the you can see when you start the project] won't help much since the other milestone will have a bigger effect)
4) In relation to 3, you could even have variable and logical milestones that you'd expect on the project, for example a "shed" project might have:
0% - started
10% - dug foundations
18% - foundations filled with concrete
25% - support pillars connected
60% - walls attached to supports
75% - roof built
100% - roof shingled
Maybe even abandoning a project at different milestones could lave you with different results.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Trezker said:

Well now we have paper and I have written my first note, maybe the first note in the world? I hope people will do some creative stuff with booklets and stuff.

Well, I can confirm that there is currently exactly one item of type "note" in the game, so yes, yours is the first.

Quote:

Sounds a bit complicated, but workable.

The code is hairier than the user side of things. The only thing I see that isn't entirely logical is that the sheet of paper magically turns into a note the minute you start writing on it.

Oh, and as far as aborting write projects are concerned; progress is currently modelled as number of characters written, so when a write project gets aborted, I could write out partial text and leave it at that. But since writing projects are generally very short (most should finish within a few minutes real-world time), I don't see a lot of necessity for this right now.

---
---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Slartibartfast has some good ideas. Too bad none of the projects have milestones that would make sense though. Other than the repeating stuff (like when a cycle is done, make a note of that)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

1) Give an inaccurate estimate and also

I'll probably end up doing this - indicate the normal duration when starting, and slowly slide into a better estimate as the project progresses. Another idea I had was that the progress might be indicated verbally, e.g., "Currently working on building a house, about halfway done".

Quote:

2) Update the given estimate only after some progress (like every 10%)

I don't really like this one, don't know why exactly - it feels wrong somehow.

Quote:

3) Split each project into milestones (maybe one for each 10%) and only show time until the next milestone (and instead of choosing random completion time for the whole project, randomize each milestone so that even optimizing the first milestone [which is all the you can see when you start the project] won't help much since the other milestone will have a bigger effect)

As long as the milestones are purely decorative, that is, they only determine what gets displayed as the progress, this is doable.

Quote:

4) In relation to 3, you could even have variable and logical milestones that you'd expect on the project, for example a "shed" project might have:
0% - started
10% - dug foundations
18% - foundations filled with concrete
25% - support pillars connected
60% - walls attached to supports
75% - roof built
100% - roof shingled
Maybe even abandoning a project at different milestones could lave you with different results.

Nice ideas, but in practice, I fear the data model would grow way too complex. The project type editor is a bitch already, even though all the building blocks are automatically generated.

All in all, I'm currently leaning toward a simple solution, with a textual representation of the estimated completion time.

---
---

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Well, I can confirm that there is currently exactly one item of type "note" in the game, so yes, yours is the first.

The First Note has been written. We must travel the world and spread its message!

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Heh, it doesn't say anything of importance. But the guy next to me is binding a booklet. Perhaps he will write some sort of sacred text.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Well, my one character that was actually interacting with folk got left behind. Now he's making the tools needed to make paper. Once done, I don't know what I want him to do.

Maybe I'll make a beggar or something, and have him focus on just finding folk and asking for stuff. I expect him to be the first to die when that system is in place.

---
MiquelFire.red

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Trezker said:

Heh, it doesn't say anything of importance. But the guy next to me is binding a booklet. Perhaps he will write some sort of sacred text.

1. Make up stories of magic and wonder.

2. Record them in a book.

3. Duplicate the book and distribute it all around.

4. Preach about worshiping the magical and wondrous.

5. When the game gets popular recruit the sheeple.

6. ???

7. Profit.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

"20 of paper"

heh. I wonder how easy it would be to fix that.

---
MiquelFire.red

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Here's something I just noticed:
The landscape types of destinations don't show up in the "Roads" display, but the type of your destination is visible as soon as you start travelling (at which point you could immediately turn around, if all you wanted to know was what kind of land you'd be travelling to).
It feels like the types should either be visible all the time, or become visible on arrival (or halfway through the trip there).

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

"20 of paper"

heh. I wonder how easy it would be to fix that.

Fixed. Should now say "20 sheets of paper".

gnolam said:

Here's something I just noticed:
The landscape types of destinations don't show up in the "Roads" display, but the type of your destination is visible as soon as you start travelling (at which point you could immediately turn around, if all you wanted to know was what kind of land you'd be travelling to).
It feels like they should either always be visible all the time, or become visible on arrival (or halfway through the trip there).

The intention is to always show the landscape type you're currently standing or travelling on - as soon as you start travelling, it should display the landscape type of the map pixel you're currently on. I'm not 100% certain that this works as intended though, but that's what it should be like. I'll go investigate.

---
---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Why do I have a feeling that my newest character appeared neared where my second character got left behind...

---
MiquelFire.red

Go to: