Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mah Sekrit Projact

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Mah Sekrit Projact
Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Trezker said:

When you mentioned publicly visible I recalled the funny thing about Cantr that most people wander around wearing nothing worth mentioning. And yet they can carry up to 15 kg of various stuff.

My thoughts on this:
- Clothes should be a bit more functional instead of purely decorative; maybe there will even be climate zones and weather, and appropriate clothes would protect you from the elements; they are almost certainly going to serve as body armour. The result should be that being naked might be just too risky for most characters, making clothes something like the most important thing after food.
- There is no inventory size limit yet, and once I implement it, I'd like to have it so that the more you carry, the more various important skills (travel speed, agility, etc.) suffer, probably exponentially or something like that, making anything above a certain "soft" limit impractical even though possible. This way, carrying 14.98 kg wouldn't be much different from 15.01 kg, yet carrying 150 kg would cripple your stats to the point that you aren't able to do anything but sit around and talk (just like a real life person with a 150 kg sack of stuff would be immobile for all intents and purposes).

Quote:

Will your game also feature the magical ability to carry gas and fluids without any containers and still have your hands free?

To be honest, I hadn't given this one much thought really. Guess I'd gotten used the way things worked in cantrII already.

On a side note, I decided to roll out the projects feature even though the project type maintenance page isn't finished yet; I've added just one project type manually (for those who haven't noticed yet). You'll need wood, which can be found in most forest locations, except those that have been plundered already :o

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I have a character who reached a dead end, who needs more wood.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

More wood, eh? Let's see...

...OK, now all you need is a forest location. Once you're there, you can start a wood gathering project.

---
---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Duh! It just sucks that I didn't pick up enough wood when the I had the chance.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Duh! It just sucks that I didn't pick up enough wood when the I had the chance.

Really? Everywhere that I've been the first thing that I did was check for items and take them all. ;D

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

That's why there's nothing left anywhere :o

---
---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I just tried to test out the "projects" functionality. I first created a project to gather wood. I said to use my inventory, participate, and start immediately. I had ample wood in my inventory to satisfy the demands, but the material status is 'none'. Immediately after I also created a project to make a pointy stick. Same configuration and immediately the materials appear to be satisfied. Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding what's happening? :-/

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Ah, maybe that requires some explanation.

The 'gathering wood' project doesn't require anything at all, as long as you are in a forest location, you can gather wood. The material status 'none' just means that no materials are required. I might re-word that as 'none required' or something like that.

The 'pointy stick' project requires 60 grams of wood, and if you check the 'take from my inventory' checkbox, and your inventory contains enough wood to satisfy the requirement, the status goes to 'satisfied' immediately. If you create a project without storing materials, the list will show you how much is needed.

Then there's the owner vs. participant thing. The project owner is the character that will receive the result of the project when it's finished, but only if you're at the same location at the time, otherwise it will end up on the ground. If the owner is away, or has abandoned the project, other characters can adopt it (but if you go somewhere else and come back before anyone else has adopted the project, it is still yours).
Participants are the characters currently working on the project; you can only work on one project at a time, and you cannot travel while working (at least that's how it's supposed to work). A project that nobody works on doesn't get finished.

And finally, starting a project is a required step before any progress can be made; a project can only be started once all requirements are met. I'll make a better dialog for storing items in a project later, and when I do, I'll also include the option of taking items back out, but this will only be possible before the project is started.

---
---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Hmm, one of my characters appears to be making no progress on his stick.

---
MiquelFire.red

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm just standing around, whittling a stick and making Monty Python references. (Hehe, banana and a pointed stick!)

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Hmm, one of my characters appears to be making no progress on his stick.

Did you put the required wood into the project? Did you start the project? Are you participating? These three requirements must be met, otherwise no work can be done on the project.

---
---

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

NM it works

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

@Gull: If you mean the account settings dialog, I just fixed that. Over-eager code cleanup on my part :o

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I'm trying to gather wood and it does not seem to work. Can't see any options other than abandon and leave.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Ah, my bad. Inspecting the log, it turns out I forgot to add a message type. Since the entire project update runs in a transaction, here's what happens:
1. Check if project progress can be updated
2. Update progress
3. If progress >= 100%: create project output, delete project, post message

A wooden stick takes two game hours, gathering wood one, and all but one instance of these would have been finished within the next progress update tick, which would trigger the message, which in turn would fail because the "project finished" message type was missing and hence the foreign key check barfs, and as a result, the entire update transaction gets rolled back. After the next project tick, I guess ALL projects with enough resources and participants will be finished. Let the poking begin!

---
---

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

You're working hard Tobias ^^

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I have a little annoyance. When I go on a road, the character list indicates a new event on that character and I have to click it to get rid of that. I don't think this should happen since I already know I sent him walking down that road.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I think it's a bug. I believe it didn't always do that.

Also, it seems clicking any tab removes the new event thing as well.

---
MiquelFire.red

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Most of the work has been done in the past two months - laying out the framework, making the web controls library and the ORM code generator, the whole terrain generator thing; the actual game logic is only a relatively small part of the whole thing.

Speaking of which, the update that includes an items and project types editor has just been rolled out. It also features a radically different color scheme for the out-of-game pages, mainly because I'm not very partial of the odd brown/red tint I had, and because I want to use that color scheme for indoor locations (once those exist).

Trezker said:

I have a little annoyance. When I go on a road, the character list indicates a new event on that character and I have to click it to get rid of that. I don't think this should happen since I already know I sent him walking down that road.

This is due to the fact that I increased the message update interval form 5 to 30 seconds, and that the first ajax request is fired 30 seconds after the page load instead of immediately (like in earlier versions). This was necessary because my bandwidth usage went through the roof, with 200k ajax requests in 5 days - averaging at ~600 bytes each, but still. As a result, you trigger a postback by leaving the location, which produces a new message, and that message, at the time the response is generated, is still considered unread (which is probably wrong and needs fixing). Clicking anything that triggers a postback, or waiting 30 seconds, will reset the new events status.

---
---

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Here is a silly request, would it be possible for you to add a favicon to the site, so that when I put it in my bookmarks toolbar, it has an icon. I find it annoying that I have a default page icon in my toolbar. (I usually dont bother having text beside the icons wasting screen real estate.)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Favicon is on the "could have" list for now. Also, a definitive favicon is something I'd make once I have a logo, and a logo is something I'd make once I have a definitive name for the thing, which I don't. Suggestions are absolutely welcome.

Oh, BTW, I just released a new version. Bugfixes and layout mainly.

---
---

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I think you broke something. Firefox 3.6.8, Windows 7 x64 Professional.

{"name":"602579","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0d91f02ed364f7acedfef853e971634e.jpg","w":1358,"h":551,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0d91f02ed364f7acedfef853e971634e"}602579

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Uh-oh. Guess I did. Hold on.

--- edit ---

OK, should be fixed now.

---
---

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I want to test too please send me a login Tobias.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Ooh, a bunch of new projects. Some requiring stone, I hope I can find some stone...

Feature request, an indicator on the news link to show if unread news are available.

Go to: